Low Backrest for Gen I

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what about this?

Simple, clean, & massive-I like it. I assume it's heliarced aluminum? It looks like a crackle finish or spray-on bedliner? Any thought to increasing your visibility from what you currently have with those 'almond-eyes?'

I recall following one of my friends at night on his Sportster, back in the '70's, he had a small round taillight, and I just couldn't help but wonder if that was too-minimal for personal safety. But then again, whenever did choppers show concern for visibility, safety in handling, or practicality? Riding an H1 Kawi at the time, I had little room to talk about handling!

I remember cranking it on past a string of outlaw choppers on the H1, while on I-95 in the vicinity of Ft. Lauderdale, they sent one guy out to try & catch me, like a knight-champion to defend the castle, emerging through the portcullis, to face the invader. After about a half-mile, when he just fell farther-behind, he finally gave-up, and returned to the biker herd unable to face-off against the two-stroke triple. What was especially-funny was the blue cloud of Bel-Ray oil that remained as a victory haze in the air in my wake, and now the outlaws, every one, had to ride through that cloud of defeat, gritting their teeth, and hoping that my chain would break, my plugs would foul, or traffic kept me from getting away. That didn't happen. :biglaugh:

I can also tell you that I bulid that pad with the stuff I found around the house LOL
Im a chep ass here haha

I can relate! A Saturday afternoon and a six pack later I came up with this mess.

Back with the cover to hide the bracket.
barpad004.jpg

The bracket mounted to plywood. I also replaced the stock plastic mounting plate in the bar pad with a plywood substitute...easier to work with. The velcro holds the cover on.
barpad002.jpg

Well that gives me an idea you could use the space inside the sissy bar hoop as a storage space w/a bit of fabrication. Piano hinge @ the bottom, key lock cyl @ the top. It wouldn't hold much, maybe your registration & insurance papers? Rubber gasket for water-repellency.

When I do things w/wood, I like to use the machine-screw threaded inserts so you can get a machine screw in nice & tight. Guess you have a couple of stripped screws for the mounting to the pass. grab bars?

Guess you have a couple of stripped screws for the mounting to the pass. grab bars?

Yep... they are not in great shape. My original plan was to fab something up quickly, try it out, then make something a bit more permanent and fix the stripped threads. I ran out of talent, then life got in the way and I have yet to revisit the backrest.

I do like your hinged idea with storage.

I also like the simplicity of backrest gamorg02 posted.

my brother just made it a couple weekends ago for his vmax, the black is crinkle powdercoat...

the first one you linked seams to be just the top part of the bar, right? is that all a guy needs? If not is the 2nd one everything you need there?
U will need the Vmax OEM grab rail supports,seen in black.To fit the low Virago bar,in chrome.John Furbur can hook u up:biglaugh: It would be great to have that jenII Butt rest on a JenI...But it don't fit.:confused2:

Attachments

• Ready to install.jpg
    Ready to install.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Got this Renntec backrest/carrier (she calls it her butt-stop) on Ebay for just over a hunnert shipped and I love it. Had to cobble a bit to make it work with the hard bags, but that's the fun. Would recommend. Raining so I had to take the pictures in the garage--sorry about the lack of quality.

Attachments

• IMG00141-20110506-0858.jpg
    IMG00141-20110506-0858.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG00142-20110506-0859.jpg
    IMG00142-20110506-0859.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 94
Does anyone need any of the virago grab bars? I think I have a few... chrome and aluminum I believe. Send me a PM if you want pics of what I have.

Thanks,

Jeff

I'd like to revive this thread if possible. I am looking to build up something "more like an ass slide stop than a back rest" like one for the gen2. I'm thinking attach a small pad like on that Renntech to the virago riser. Has anyone tried for a similar set up? I think I am looking for something similar to what the OP wants but there hasn't seemed to be a resolution.

Since you are looking for a minimalistic set up, why not just fab something to attach to a stock grab rail. Grab rails are cheap. If you tear one up with your fab work, no big loss.
I'd just fab the pad shape I want, bend some metal that integrates the bad to the grab rail and the add the foam and cover that hides all fasteners.
Obviously no one is gonna make a mold and pour a cast aluminum bracket.

if i can put this pad on the virago riser then i'll be set. has anone done similar?
Flatlander mini seat pad backrest measures 5-1/2" wide X 3" tall X 1-1/5" thick.The pad is the right size for a Virago bar,but those mounting brackets may have to be modified. If you drill holes in the bar, you'll regret it later :rockon00:

Since you are looking for a minimalistic set up, why not just fab something to attach to a stock grab rail. Grab rails are cheap. If you tear one up with your fab work, no big loss.
I'd just fab the pad shape I want, bend some metal that integrates the bad to the grab rail and the add the foam and cover that hides all fasteners.

patmax, you mean something like gamorg did only with more concealment?
attachment.php

I like gamorgs but I'm looking to do something more stock option looking. getting a grab bar and fabbing up something to attach to it then covering it sounds like it could be a disaster. lol

I plan to attach the small pad kind of in the manner that mikeTD3 did
barpad002.jpg

only I will probably end up making a little compartment inside the riser for registration, insurance and whatever else small will fit.

Just a mock-up for now but it shows the virago riser, hardley pad, and my version of a custom Corbin (still a work in progress). I've since made the bracket for the pad which is not like previously planned but is now adjustable so I can put the pad lower or higher up the riser bar.

Attachments

• IMG_20140112_132814_046.jpg
    IMG_20140112_132814_046.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 72
If you have a welder you can make something relatively inexpensive. When I first bought my bike I wanted something to keep my girlfriend from flying off the back but I didn't want to spend a lot of money. I built this out of some scrap steel and a old cobra back rest I had hanging around. It was never suppose to be permanent but I still use it.

Back