Media bullshit about gun control,and truth

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a little bit confused here. How can you avoid the 4473/background check by buying off the internet? I have bought a number of guns off the internet, and in each case the weapon had to be sent to a FFL dealer. I filled out the 4473 at the dealer, and went thru the background check (even thought I have a CPL)

I guess it would be possible to buy a rifle form a private party in the same state, but I would guess that would normally be a face to face buy

Reminds me of a little story...

I was selling firearms at Gander Mountain. A Young man came up to the counter and asked to see a pistol. I asked him if he had a purchase permit. He didn't know what that was, so I explained. Then I asked how old he was. 19 I explained I could not sell him a hand gun because he had to be 21 to buy a handgun from a dealer like me, but he could get a permit and buy one from a private party. He wanted to know where that was, and I told him where the Sheriff office was. He said, "No, I know where da Sheriff be, Ih want'a know where the private party is!"

Would you support mandatory training for ownership? I personally like this idea provided it's not done by a government agency. Similar to how most certifications work these days. Most people already pay for it and appropriate storage, and there's not a lot of impact there. I think it could go a ways in making everybody a little smarter about owning a weapon, and make it harder for them to be stolen, etc.

NO. The same applies to the idea that I don't need to be trained in what to think by the government, or trained to speak. The second amendment is a RIGHT as is the first. Combine all of this with the idea that the people should be capable of responsible use of their brains. Every step the government takes to control us the masses are dumbed down. That is the wrong direction for a free country that used to be filled with intelligent, free thinking, good productive people.
Besides AGAIN, what has this got to do with SANDY HOOK? The guy was a homicidal lunitic. I somehow don't think a class on responsible gun ownership would have prevented him from murdering his mother and stealing her firearms. Do you?

I don't support banning online sales, but I do see the loophole there. Some kind of system should be in place to be sure those buying firearms online are subject to the same rules as those in person. As well as subject to verification by ID, signature matching a credit card, billing address verification, whatever. If that means purchasing online and going through some sort of distribution platform to get them local I don't see the big problem in that. It's silly to have background checks for only some buyers... it only hurts the honest.
The internet and gun show "LOOP HOLE" is a lie sold by disshonest politicians. Gun dealers at gun shows run the same checks they do in the store. Items purchased over the internet MUST LEGALLY be transferred through a FFL dealer WITH A BACKGROUND CHECK. Only private, face to face sales within the state of residency is legal (in most states). If I want to give a 870 shotgun to my 21 year old son when he returns from service in the armed forces it is none of the governments bussiness.
Anyone not following these laws is breaking the law. The law itself does NOTHING to stop them from commiting a crime any more that a law against murder stopped the Sandy Hook shooter from executing his mother.

Why are we enacting knee jerk, pointless gun laws that ONLY AFFECT people who follow the law already? Can someone please explain this?

I will give you a hint. It has NOTHING TO DO WITH STOPPING CRIME.

I'm a little bit confused here. How can you avoid the 4473/background check by buying off the internet? I have bought a number of guns off the internet, and in each case the weapon had to be sent to a FFL dealer. I filled out the 4473 at the dealer, and went thru the background check (even thought I have a CPL)

It is confussing, and it is designed to be that way. The politicians that follow the time honored practice of repeating a lie until the public believe it are doing so purposely to make those less informed believe that a loophole exists. Their whole idea is to liscense, document and confiscate.

I guess it would be possible to buy a rifle form a private party in the same state, but I would guess that would normally be a face to face buy

Reminds me of a little story...

I was selling firearms at Gander Mountain. A Young man came up to the counter and asked to see a pistol. I asked him if he had a purchase permit. He didn't know what that was, so I explained. Then I asked how old he was. 19 I explained I could not sell him a hand gun because he had to be 21 to buy a handgun from a dealer like me, but he could get a permit and buy one from a private party. He wanted to know where that was, and I told him where the Sheriff office was. He said, "No, I know where da Sheriff be, Ih want'a know where the private party is!"
One more time, why this attempt to regulate private sales when the Sandy Hook killer murdered his Mom to steal her guns? He didn't get them via the internet, or the mysterious "gun show loop hole" now did he?

On the education I don't see it as keeping folks down. Good education programs would be run by those in the industry that already do them. With standards set by those in the industry that already do them. The only thing the government has to do with it is requiring the completion of one of those courses and tracking that the completion has happened. I think it would go a long way in taking some of the fear away the average person has around guns, and make for more rational conversations on gun control going forward.

As for online sales... it sounds like it already works pretty much exactly as I suggested. Online vendors get to compete on price, but ship to a middle man for the paperwork stuff. What's the problem then? I haven't purchased a gun in aaaaages so forgive me for not knowing how it works these days.

Columbine kids stole guns from their parents too didn't they? Proper storage would have them in a locked safe and much harder to steal. Though if I recall - the biggest scare of Columbine that came out years later wasn't the guns at all. The kids had several home-made explosives setup in the cafeteria as well, but they failed to detonate. If that part of their plan had worked out...

Looks like the proposal details are coming to light. Still ahead of the official conference yet but here's the core of it:

? A focus on universal background checks. Right now some 40 percent of gun sales take place without background checks, including by private sellers at gun shows or over the Internet, according to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.

? A ban on assault weapons and limiting ammunition magazines to 10 rounds or fewer.

? A federal statute to stop "straw man" purchases of guns and crack down on trafficking rings.

? More anti-bullying efforts; more training for teachers, counselors and principals; and funding for schools for more counselors and resource officers.

2 of the 4 in bold look like stronger enforcement of existing laws. No big deal there I guess? Especially since apparently that 40% figure is a myth?

A new assault weapons ban. Here we go again...

The last one there regarding bullying and more training seems right about in line with what the pro gun crowd has been saying should happen. It's looking at ways to solve the problem without adding or changing gun regulations at all, and apparently can be largely paid for out of existing provisions in Obamacare that are coming down the pipe anyway.

I guess we'll see how congress reacts to the assault weapons proposal. Assuming that ends up getting killed by congress this looks pretty much like what the pro gun side has been suggesting? Enforce existing laws, and try to solve the problem without only looking at guns themselves.

I would argue that for those that are not professionals (though cops really receive MINIMAL training, unless SWAT etc.) the most ergonomically designed, safe, easy to use, effective self defense tool makes EVEN MORE SENSE for the average person wanting to protect themselves.

Modern semi-automatic firearms are the most user freindly easy to opperate self defense tools ever made. They were designed to be safe, effective, and user freindly when a person has diminished cognitive thinking that is commonly experienced when fighting for defense of life. That's what they were made for.

Concealed carry permit owners often have training and shooting skills equal to or even beyond many police officers.

Or maybe guns with barrels bent 180 degrees. That would surely cut down on gun usage.
Dave

Well, lots of flag waving, tear jerking drama and quotes from the constitution but the thing is signed.

getting it thru congress is another story :biglaugh:....of course he does have executive order.....not shure what he can do with that.....nothing major i dont think.

I missed the vid. Looks like there are 23 main points? Anybody have the whole list?

Here's a partial I found.

Some of President Obama's Proposals
• Requiring background checks for all gun buyers [needs congressional approval]
• Ban certain semiautomatic rifles [needs congressional approval]
• Require a 10-round limit on ammunition magazines [needs congressional approval]
• Prohibit manufacturing, importation, possession and sale of armor-piercing bullets [needs congressional approval]
• New gun trafficking laws with serious penalties [needs congressional approval]
• Provide incentives for police departments to hire officers for schools and mental-health counselors [Something the NRA would likely support as it has called for armed guards in every school]
• Require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations
• Direct the Center for Disease Control to conduct research into the causes and prevention of gun violence
• Asking Congress to provide $10 million for the CDC to conduct research on gun violence
• Launch a national responsible gun ownership program
• Nominating B. Todd Jones to be permanent director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives [needs Senate confirmation; he is currently acting director]

Background checks for private sales. That sucks, but as much as
85 MAX-fan said:
If I want to give a 870 shotgun to my 21 year old son when he returns from service in the armed forces it is none of the governments bussiness.
is a fair point. You have to be naive to not see the room for obscuring a paper trail without it. A tracking system is only as good as it's weakest point, and more to the point... if I want to buy a gun on craigslist or whatever why should I not require a background check where as somebody buying from a dealer does? How is that really any different? I still have to register vehicles with the DMV regardless of where I acquire them. Also it seems it would protect the seller to have this in place. More paper trail to show the weapon was sold should it end up being used in a crime multiple sales down the line.

Looks like a load of research to get smarter about real causes and try to come up with reasonable stats to reference. I fully support that. Way too much of this stuff is put into law because it feels like a good/bad idea. Not much in the way of supporting it one way or another outside far too general stats like overall crime-rate.

A public responsible gun ownership campaign. I fully support that. Not so much for the owners but to change the general public's perception on gun owners. I went in detail about this sometime before, mentioning the culture change on drunk driving and how it's viewed today vs how it was viewed 20 years ago. The only thing here is that it's somewhat the reverse. A lot of joe public view your average gun owner as this guy. When the average person views any gun owner as a nutcase, it's really hard to identify the actual nutcases.

Harsher trafficking laws are sort of whatever. Seems to be a canned response to those that feel any law will just make the criminal element stronger. This hasn't worked as a deterrent for drugs, and it won't work as a deterrent for guns either. Money rules over law, and the laws just make it more profitable because it's more risky to run them.

It seems the real battle coming will be in congress. Regarding the specific weapons ban, 10-round limit, armor-piercing rounds, etc. Quite honestly I'm a little shocked armor-piercing rounds aren't already illegal. I don't really see a need for that beyond illicit activity?

I missed the vid. Looks like there are 23 main points? Anybody have the whole list?

Background checks for private sales. That sucks, but as much as is a fair point. You have to be naive to not see the room for obscuring a paper trail without it. A tracking system is only as good as it's weakest point, and more to the point... if I want to buy a gun on craigslist or whatever why should I not require a background check where as somebody buying from a dealer does? How is that really any different? I still have to register vehicles with the DMV regardless of where I acquire them. Also it seems it would protect the seller to have this in place. More paper trail to show the weapon was sold should it end up being used in a crime multiple sales down the line.

One more time. Because the right to keep and bear is in our country's constitution. Regulation of interstate commerce does not cover the face to face sale. We aren't talking about buying a used car here, we are talking about our legally protected rights.

And how would this have stopped Sandy Hook?

I will answer for you. It would have had NO effect on stopping it, and it is not intended to.
How about passing a law requiring our doctors administer an exam where subsequently a government official declares you to be competent to vote, or speak your opinion on the vmax forum? A tax paid afterwards if you wish to meet with friends to discuss political issues? Surely you can see where we could prevent a lot of trouble with these common sense regulations?

Can somebody explain why we are looking to spend over 500 million tax payer dollars on measures that would have never stopped the school shooting at Sandy Hook?

There's room for interpretation on this one though. 'Arms' has changed pretty drastically since the amendment was penned. Voting is pretty much the same as it was then, and even when that was penned there were restrictions on voting. The guys that wrote it didn't follow that particular line to the letter.

Following your logic where does it stop? It would be my constitutional right to purchase a fully functional nuclear missile silo without any paperwork, background checks, etc. There has to be reasonable lines in the sand that adapt to current technology and capability. Applying the same paperwork already required in purchasing new weapons to used weapons and armor piercing rounds seems pretty cut and dry?

RE: Sandy Hook
Were the stolen guns properly secured to help prevent the theft?
How many rounds were in the mag?
There are provisions for more training and incentives for police departments to better staff schools.
There are provisions for research into root causes and identification to make better decisions going forward, and better answer this very question.

Background checks for private sales. That sucks, but as much as is a fair point. You have to be naive to not see the room for obscuring a paper trail without it.

When you apply for a FOID card (at least in IL) you go through a background check and are approved by state police to be able to own a firearm so a background check has already been done. What is the point of needing another one in a private sale? There are other ways to protect yourself in case of a sale/purchase of firearm. You have to have paperwork signed by both parties involved along with copies of photo ID and a valid FOID card that you have to keep in your records for 10 years. As to your point with having to register a car that is not entirely correct. While it is true that a car has to be registered it also true that I can legally drive a card that is registered to in my brother's name it doesn't have to be registered in my own name. So why then wouldn't a father not be able to "give" his son a firearm (assuming this son has a valid permit to own firearm).

I honestly think all this is not addressing the issue at all but is just to apease the public. I do think however that some changes are in order and should be done at the federal level, I don't understand why going to a gun class is not required before getting a FOID card, it should be part of the process and required. As it is right now I can go to a store buy a gun, wait 24 hours to pick it up but nobody gives a crap if I know which end goes boom.

Again, this doesn't address the issue of these shootings taking place but I think it would be a good idea regardless.

I can't remember where I read this (I'll try to find and post it here) but someone went over all of the mass shootings and posted what drugs those people were on at the time. I think this is the bigger issue that needs to be addressed but nobody is talking about it. All those anti-depresants that make people snap.

I more or less agree on all accounts there. The impression I get from the provision is to make the same rules apply universally to all sales in all states though, and that should improve the time it takes from crime to having a suspect. If I give something to somebody who sells it who sells it I don't want a knock on my door and be put in custody if I can't produce sufficient paperwork while it's all sorted out.

I'd rather not even know a weapon I used to own was used in a crime at all honesty. Let them have an efficient system to look it up and leave me the hell out of it.

The provisions and funding for research may come to find that drugs have a lot or a little to do with it. We don't really know but I think it's a good thing that we're putting things in place that could go a long way towards finding out.

There's room for interpretation on this one though. 'Arms' has changed pretty drastically since the amendment was penned. Voting is pretty much the same as it was then, and even when that was penned there were restrictions on voting. The guys that wrote it didn't follow that particular line to the letter.

This is why the federal courts have ruled arms in common use at the time. The evil AR-15 was designed in the late 50's hardly some new technology. Semi automatic firearms have been around for 3 centuries.

Following your logic where does it stop?
How about enforcing the laws already on the books Zack? How many were broken by the Sandy Hook killer? Did those laws stop him?????
It would be my constitutional right to purchase a fully functional nuclear missile silo without any paperwork, background checks, etc.
A nuclear missile is NOT a firearm.
There has to be reasonable lines in the sand that adapt to current technology and capability.

Applying the same paperwork already required in purchasing new weapons to used weapons and armor piercing rounds seems pretty cut and dry?
Armor piecing rounds are already largely illegal.
This is another LIE spread by politicians that are trying to influence the votes of the uninformed. How does one define armor piercing? The 30-30 rifle cartride commonly used by thousands of deer hunters, designed in 1800's, will penetrate many commonly used bullet RESISTANT vests.
RE: Sandy Hook
Were the stolen guns properly secured to help prevent the theft?
Another lame point. I pose this: You are a lawfull gun owner and keep your firearms locked in a safe. Gang members learn you posses firearms and have them stored in said safe. After breaking into your home, and putting a knife to you childs throat they instruct you to open the safe or watch you child die. What will you do? Living in Illinois, and more particularly Chicago, chances are you will not be carrying a firearm to stop them. You would be a sheep ripe for slaughter.
Those bent on killing will only be stopped AFTER they have killed in most of these high profile cases.
How many rounds were in the mag?
Why does it matter?
There are provisions for more training and incentives for police departments to better staff schools.
There are provisions for research into root causes and identification to make better decisions going forward, and better answer this very question.

Again, all of this wouldn't have stopped the killing. Why are you bent on enacting laws that will do nothing to prevent a homicidal maniac from killing?
Why is everyone happy allowing lunatics bent on murder, and mass murderers walking the streets amongst us as long as they don't have a GUN?
How many did Ted Bundy kill without one?

The provisions and funding for research may come to find that drugs have a lot or a little to do with it. We don't really know but I think it's a good thing that we're putting things in place that could go a long way towards finding out.
It seems like they might have something to do with it...
Eric Harris age 17 (first on Zoloft then Luvox) and Dylan Klebold aged 18 (Columbine school shooting in Littleton, Colorado), killed 12 students and 1 teacher, and wounded 23 others, before killing themselves. Klebold?s medical records have never been made available to the public.
Jeff Weise, age 16, had been prescribed 60 mg/day of Prozac (three times the average starting dose for adults!) when he shot his grandfather, his grandfather?s girlfriend and many fellow students at Red Lake, Minnesota. He then shot himself. 10 dead, 12 wounded.
Cory Baadsgaard, age 16, Wahluke (Washington state) High School, was on Paxil (which caused him to have hallucinations) when he took a rifle to his high school and held 23 classmates hostage. He has no memory of the event.
Chris Fetters, age 13, killed his favorite aunt while taking Prozac.
Christopher Pittman, age 12, murdered both his grandparents while taking Zoloft.
Mathew Miller, age 13, hung himself in his bedroom closet after taking Zoloft for 6 days.
Kip Kinkel, age 15, (on Prozac and Ritalin) shot his parents while they slept then went to school and opened fire killing 2 classmates and injuring 22 shortly after beginning Prozac treatment.
Luke Woodham, age 16 (Prozac) killed his mother and then killed two students, wounding six others.
A boy in Pocatello, ID (Zoloft) in 1998 had a Zoloft-induced seizure that caused an armed stand off at his school.
Michael Carneal (Ritalin), age 14, opened fire on students at a high school prayer meeting in West Paducah, Kentucky. Three teenagers were killed, five others were wounded..
A young man in Huntsville, Alabama (Ritalin) went psychotic chopping up his parents with an ax and also killing one sibling and almost murdering another.
Andrew Golden, age 11, (Ritalin) and Mitchell Johnson, aged 14, (Ritalin) shot 15 people, killing four students, one teacher, and wounding 10 others.
TJ Solomon, age 15, (Ritalin) high school student in Conyers, Georgia opened fire on and wounded six of his class mates.
Rod Mathews, age 14, (Ritalin) beat a classmate to death with a bat.
James Wilson, age 19, (various psychiatric drugs) from Breenwood, South Carolina, took a .22 caliber revolver into an elementary school killing two young girls, and wounding seven other children and two teachers.
Elizabeth Bush, age 13, (Paxil) was responsible for a school shooting in Pennsylvania
Jason Hoffman (Effexor and Celexa) ? school shooting in El Cajon, California
Jarred Viktor, age 15, (Paxil), after five days on Paxil he stabbed his grandmother 61 times.
Chris Shanahan, age 15 (Paxil) in Rigby, ID who out of the blue killed a woman.
Jeff Franklin (Prozac and Ritalin), Huntsville, AL, killed his parents as they came home from work using a sledge hammer, hatchet, butcher knife and mechanic?s file, then attacked his younger brothers and sister.
Neal Furrow (Prozac) in LA Jewish school shooting reported to have been court-ordered to be on Prozac along with several other medications.
Kevin Rider, age 14, was withdrawing from Prozac when he died from a gunshot wound to his head. Initially it was ruled a suicide, but two years later, the investigation into his death was opened as a possible homicide. The prime suspect, also age 14, had been taking Zoloft and other SSRI antidepressants.
Alex Kim, age 13, hung himself shortly after his Lexapro prescription had been doubled.
Diane Routhier was prescribed Welbutrin for gallstone problems. Six days later, after suffering many adverse effects of the drug, she shot herself.
Billy Willkomm, an accomplished wrestler and a University of Florida student, was prescribed Prozac at the age of 17. His family found him dead of suicide ? hanging from a tall ladder at the family?s Gulf Shore Boulevard home in July 2002.
Kara Jaye Anne Fuller-Otter, age 12, was on Paxil when she hung herself from a hook in her closet. Kara?s parents said ??. the damn doctor wouldn?t take her off it and I asked him to when we went in on the second visit. I told him I thought she was having some sort of reaction to Paxil??)
Gareth Christian, Vancouver, age 18, was on Paxil when he committed suicide in 2002, (Gareth?s father could not accept his son?s death and killed himself.)
Julie Woodward, age 17, was on Zoloft when she hung herself in her family?s detached garage.
Matthew Miller was 13 when he saw a psychiatrist because he was having difficulty at school. The psychiatrist gave him samples of Zoloft. Seven days later his mother found him dead, hanging by a belt from a laundry hook in his closet.
Kurt Danysh, age 18, and on Prozac, killed his father with a shotgun. He is now behind prison bars, and writes letters, trying to warn the world that SSRI drugs can kill.
Woody ____, age 37, committed suicide while in his 5th week of taking Zoloft. Shortly before his death his physician suggested doubling the dose of the drug. He had seen his physician only for insomnia. He had never been depressed, nor did he have any history of any mental illness symptoms.
A boy from Houston, age 10, shot and killed his father after his Prozac dosage was increased.
Hammad Memon, age 15, shot and killed a fellow middle school student. He had been diagnosed with ADHD and depression and was taking Zoloft and ?other drugs for the conditions.?
Matti Saari, a 22-year-old culinary student, shot and killed 9 students and a teacher, and wounded another student, before killing himself. Saari was taking an SSRI and a benzodiazapine.
Steven Kazmierczak, age 27, shot and killed five people and wounded 21 others before killing himself in a Northern Illinois University auditorium. According to his girlfriend, he had recently been taking Prozac, Xanax and Ambien. Toxicology results showed that he still had trace amounts of Xanax in his system.
Finnish gunman Pekka-Eric Auvinen, age 18, had been taking antidepressants before he killed eight people and wounded a dozen more at Jokela High School ? then he committed suicide.
Asa Coon from Cleveland, age 14, shot and wounded four before taking his own life. Court records show Coon was on Trazodone.
Jon Romano, age 16, on medication for depression, fired a shotgun at a teacher in his
New York high school.
Missing from list? 3 of 4 known to have taken these same meds?.
What drugs was Jared Lee Loughner on, age 21?? killed 6 people and injuring 14 others in Tuscon, Az
What drugs was James Eagan Holmes on, age 24?.. killed 12 people and injuring 59 others in Aurora Colorado
What drugs was Jacob Tyler Roberts on, age 22, killed 2 injured 1, Clackamas Or
What drugs was Adam Peter Lanza on, age 20, Killed 26 and wounded 2 in Newtown Ct
Roberts is the only one that I haven?t heard about being on drugs of some kind.

http://whatreallyhappened.com/category/assassination

It seems like they might have something to do with it...

http://whatreallyhappened.com/category/assassination

It's certainly a theme. A good hypothesis as well, but you need good research to prove it. Maybe it's less the meds themselves and more the general instability of those prescribed the meds? Encouraging research and granting funding to get it done is a good thing either way.

I laugh whenever music, movies, and video games are blamed for this kind of stuff. Believing firmly that they're not the cause, but an already crazy and violent person is no doubt attracted to things with violent themes. I'd love for some in-depth unbiased research to prove me right or wrong on it.

Again, all of this wouldn't have stopped the killing. Why are you bent on enacting laws that will do nothing to prevent a homicidal maniac from killing?
Why is everyone happy allowing lunatics bent on murder, and mass murderers walking the streets amongst us as long as they don't have a GUN?
How many did Ted Bundy kill without one?

A hypothetical gang situation that seems to suggest I should leave my firearms hanging on my front door so they can have easier access to them isn't related to Sandy Hook. Safe storage doesn't have to mean it takes especially long to get access to. Also the gun in my hand wouldn't even change the outcome in that situation one bit. I'm not a Hollywood marksman and I'm not about to ace head shot the guy holding the knife and then do some slow motion dive to cover my child while shooting everybody else in the room simultaneously. You've argued that more rounds are necessary for adequate defense because people can't shoot well in that sort of situation, but also seem to think single-handed take-down of a group of thugs and rescuing a hostage wouldn't be a problem? Give them what they came for and hope they leave in peace and then report the crime.

The bulk of this is enforcing and uniforming laws already in place. The only changes and new stuff look to be proposals to congress where it can be revised and hashed out there as a good or bad idea.

I haven't seen all 23 points yet, but honestly so far the only things I take issue with are up to congress to reject or revise to something suitable. I'm especially happy to see the various research bits. It's time to get smarter about these laws and how to better prevent these incidents, and that's a great start.

:edit:
Ted Bundy is a poor example. He lured his victims in. Not everybody will be armed at all times so he would have lured others or found another way to get the weapon away.

I more or less agree on all accounts there. The impression I get from the provision is to make the same rules apply universally to all sales in all states though, and that should improve the time it takes from crime to having a suspect.

Wrong. It already is a federal law Zack, the same in all states as it is FEDERAL.
If I give something to somebody who sells it who sells it I don't want a knock on my door and be put in custody if I can't produce sufficient paperwork while it's all sorted out.

I'd rather not even know a weapon I used to own was used in a crime at all honesty. Let them have an efficient system to look it up and leave me the hell out of it.

The number of crimes solved through "tracing a weapon" is miniscule.

Latest posts

Back