Missed Second Gear - Over-revved

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRE-77

Reaction score
Missed Second Gear - Over-reved

While getting on the freeway tonight I missed second gear at WOT and obviously went past red-line. Now I have a intermittent flat spot in the upper RPM ranges , I checked the spark plugs and they look fine. The bike is a stock 98 with a Kerker and 39mm flatslides, I did notice that at WOT if I let off the throttle at around 8K then open it up again the flat spot seems to go away.

Mabye a carb problem?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

possibly sucked a piece of dirt into the carbs?

Seems to be a ration of missing second gear lately, I've done it twice in a month. Bike still runs fine, I'm more concerned about the Famous O Ring in the pan and my oil pressure.

Good Luck,

I use my shift light and probably haven't been over 9500 R's since I got it, I have mine set at 8800 R's. That bright red light shining in my eyes is enough to get me to shift.

I use my shift light and probably haven't been over 9500 R's since I got it, I have mine set at 8800 R's. That bright red light shining in my eyes is enough to get me to shift.

you also using a harlen shift light redbone????

Yes Sir! Ireally like it, especially since I had Tom @ COO make me a custom mount next to the speedo, very nice billet part!

nice set up dude. think im gonna order one for the bike's. next is to find a black tach cover like yours and p/c the risers also, looks tough :punk:

hows the red shift light in the day time??? bright enough

nice set up dude. think im gonna order one for the bike's. next is to find a black tach cover like yours and p/c the risers also, looks tough :punk:

hows the red shift light in the day time??? bright enough
Yes it's bright enough and it even startles me when I ride at night and I hit the limit, super bright at night!!
In that picture I had just rattle canned the riser and the chrome speedo but last winter I had the riser/ grab bar/ turn signals/ footpeg mounts (front) all Powdercoated gloss black. I have a few other items I'm going to get P/C'd this winter.
I'm going to get with Tom @ COO to show him what I did to get the mount/ shift light to line up with the speedometer housing. It should be a simple fix for him to machine into the original design.

Yes it's bright enough and it even startles me when I ride at night and I hit the limit, super bright at night!!
In that picture I had just rattle canned the riser and the chrome speedo but last winter I had the riser/ grab bar/ turn signals/ footpeg mounts (front) all Powdercoated gloss black. I have a few other items I'm going to get P/C'd this winter.
I'm going to get with Tom @ COO to show him what I did to get the mount/ shift light to line up with the speedometer housing. It should be a simple fix for him to machine into the original design.

sweet, you like the p/c vs just painting the parts? guess the tach cover has to be sprayed since its plastic ey

Yep, the P/C holds up a bunch better, although I think a satin P/C would probably be more durable, the gloss has some scratches on it (grab bar). The painted speedo cap is pretty well protected due to the fact that I have the Givi windshield mostly protecting it so it holds up very well.

Back