Morley's Muscle Jet Kit and Marks 4-2 Exhaust installed...Jet size for 2500 Ft elev?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShOOster!

Reaction score
Hello folks, and Happy New Year!

I've just installed Mark's stainless 4-2, 2" exhaust and the bike started running lean / lacked torque.

Then installed Morley's Jet Kit with needles on 4th clip, Mains 160 (2300-2500 ft elev, 47 degrees outside) and I suspect it's running too rich.

The kit only goes down to 155 mains...should I just throw the stock needles back in?

Thanks in advance!

Joshua (SW Las Vegas)

Re: Morley's Muscle Jet Kit and Marks 4-2 Exhaust installed...Jet size for 2500 Ft el

Take a browse through here carb setups and I'm sure you will find similar setups at elevations you're looking for.

Re: Morley's Muscle Jet Kit and Marks 4-2 Exhaust installed...Jet size for 2500 Ft el

You will need to identify the range in which it is lean. 7500 and up or midrange?

Sean

Do you have a stock intake (stock air box)?

Needles control mid range. Jets control upper RPMs.

If you go up thru the gears hard, and every time you reach say 7500/8000 or so, it falls on its face, you should be running rich and the Jets are you answer.

If you problem is as you roll into the throttle just off idle, then the needles MAY help, but there are a number of factors that could be the issue.

I would run some plug chops at WOT to get an idea where your main jets are.

Of course make sure you have fresh plugs and a clean air filter to do your testing.

You will need to identify the range in which it is lean. 7500 and up or midrange?

Sean

I think I've gotten things straightened out a little better, and Thanks for the phone call! Still tuning from the top, so this is all just WOT tuning, but with a good sync and idle mixtures set to reasonable.

Decided to go down from the 160 to 155 main jets, and there's a very nice improvement. I will ride down to 1000 ft elev and 4000 ft elev and see how it behaves...if it runs even better near sea level I'll know it's still a little rich or just right.

My range for tuning must be the midpoint between 4000 ft and 1000 feet, which is where it will be ridden.

Again, thanks for the support, and I will ship my old airbox lid to you as soon as I can get to it

**I can be part throttle in 2nd gear leveled off at around 5k, and when I snap the throttle it actually brings the front wheel up a tiny bit...great midrange in your kit!

Back