Morley's Muscle Kit and Nitrous Install

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been running N2O motors since the late 80's. This "theroy" as you put it does exist. However, there may be a little misunderstanding on the "feel as is your still in the throttle" part.

This mainly happens in long line systems, After the sols shut there is still residual fuel and N2O in the lines. there is a brief blip of throttle that will remian in for a very short time as the pressure differential in the cyls drain the lines, so its more of a "Still on the sqeeze" vs. on the throttle. In short line systems like the kind found on most bikes. Its really not an issue.

I've had it happen with a couple of my motorcycles, one a street bike the other was one of my drag bikes. I was forced to long line the system between the sols and my foggers due to lack of room, I had close to 3 feet of plumbing tucked away in and around that bike. I really noticed it on my dual-stage setups.

reguards :cheers:

Interesting, I have never felt what you are talking about. I normally will use the NOS after 70 MPH+ I will hold it on till about 145 and let off the button and run the rest to 155.
I dont know how long my lines are, the solenoids are mounted on the front of the battery box / behind the rear cyl, and come out to the manifolds what is that... :ummm:2.5 ft at the most.

Interesting, I have never felt what you are talking about. I normally will use the NOS after 70 MPH+ I will hold it on till about 145 and let off the button and run the rest to 155.
I dont know how long my lines are, the solenoids are mounted on the front of the battery box / behind the rear cyl, and come out to the manifolds what is that... :ummm:2.5 ft at the most.

Those are not awful long. On the bike I felt it the most was my dual stage on my XS, The bottle was under the rear part of the seat. The 4 sols were right underneith, the seat as well with 2 on each side of the bottle. There were 16 lines (8-n2o, 8-fuel) coiling up and winding around up to the intake, I would say I had Close to 5 feet if not more on that particular setup.

The delay was maybe a half second.

On another bike I ran a bottle on each side of the rear of the bike, the sols were mounted about 18" from the manifold. There was no delay at all, dual or single stage.

Thanks KJ... some good infor there.

Lankee... about the grommets, it is funny that you commented on that. I actually put one on the other side. Thanks for all the tips, this thread will hopefully be a good resource for others.

I think I am going to look into getting 18" braided lines instead of going to the hard lines... back and forth... Unfortunately, I have 12" lines, but they are just too short. I may call NX and see if they would swap with me.... for a small feel I'm sure. The braided lines will me much easier to install, have fewer leak points and should still look pretty nice when finished. I'm still debaiting the solenoid location, but I think I am going to keep it between the carbs for the time being. I am going to lower the brackets an inch or so, but still keep one on each side.

I also have been having problems with the bike really hesitating between 1500 and 4000 rpm... it would idle just fine and past 4000, it would pull hard! This happened right after the Muscle Kit was installed. I also was getting about 20mpg.... not good. Mark and Sean have both been very helpful, and thanks for your time! I hate to admit it, but I found the problem, and it was my fault COMPLETELY. When I drilled out the slides, and had the needles removed, I messed up the assebmly order, and had the spring under the needle, and not on top....(between the washer and the plastic screw). Rookie mistakes.

I got the new intakes put on (ones that have some extra aluminum built up to help hold the nozzles in place a little better), did the shotgun, and cleaned up the carbs, got everything mounted again and am pretty much ready to run some lines and get the wiring routed... I'm gettin close! My next project is going to be mounting the micro switch (comes on at full throttle) so you can't spray NOS unless it is activated.

I also got my new (to me) racing leathers in the mail today. $180, I thought it was a decent deal. It's a 2 piece that zips together at the waist. The pants are a little long... the knee pad is a little low, but not a big deal.

I'll hopefully have a few more posts here shortly with more updates.

Jeff

Attachments

• P1010044.jpg
    P1010044.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 8
  • P1010045.jpg
    P1010045.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 6
The next setup I'm putting together will use a progressive controller.

Back when I was using dual stages It was basically constantly swapping jets for track conditions. Now with the progressives, it gives the benefit of a dual stage setup with total contol on the tune. :thumbs up:

I think I am going to look into getting 18" braided lines instead of going to the hard lines...

Jeff

Nice looking leathers.

If your going to switch to braided SS lines, don't forget your jets. Flaired Jets are reccomended for use with the braided lines.

The jets that come stock with the NX and NOS kits are funnel jets for hard/plastic lines.

:cheers:

I have a progressive controler coming soon. It has been paid for and will be here shortly. I will also have an extra used solenoid coming that I am going to use as my purge. I'm not exactly sure where I am going to have it release yet, but if anyone has any good places for smoke to come out of, I'm all ears. I really think the purge is more for show than anything.... I understand the purpose of it and I'm sure it is useful for cars and systems with long routings and large shots, but my supply line is a 4AN (1/4") and will be about 3' long.... at 1000psi, it will take no time at all to clear the lines. I'm not going to be super competitive, this is more for fun than anything. I still think it looks pretty cool when cars stage and purge their lines... and I'm sure I'll figure out something.

Jeff

:eusa_dance:
I have a progressive controler coming soon. It has been paid for and will be here shortly. I will also have an extra used solenoid coming that I am going to use as my purge. I'm not exactly sure where I am going to have it release yet, but if anyone has any good places for smoke to come out of, I'm all ears. I really think the purge is more for show than anything.... I understand the purpose of it and I'm sure it is useful for cars and systems with long routings and large shots, but my supply line is a 4AN (1/4") and will be about 3' long.... at 1000psi, it will take no time at all to clear the lines. I'm not going to be super competitive, this is more for fun than anything. I still think it looks pretty cool when cars stage and purge their lines... and I'm sure I'll figure out something.

Jeff

Hey Jeff some ideas on the SS lines since you are having length problems (meaning nitrous) :rofl_200: Sorry anyways..
Do you have an industrial hose and gasket supplier out near you? I know we have 2 here in Nashville and they can make you any length you want with the proper ends on them. Matter of fact I had to replace my SS line for my oil pressure gauage I went to the shop told the guy what I wanted etc. bang he came from the back 10 mins later and wooo lahh new line custom made. 41.00....
I have been thinking about the progressive timer also, but I am not wanting to pay 300.00 for a basic timer, I have an industrial timer from when I started expierementing with delay boxes yrs ago so I am may try that out.
Remember there are 2 purposes for the purdge.
1) Yes to get the air out of the line.
2) The most important is to make sure your pressure is at either 900 or a 1000 PSI. I have seen my gauge as high as 1400 PSI on hot 100+ days in the summer. You know what happens if you tune to 900 and what will happen if you spray at 1300-1400 PSI L E A N condition !!! :surprise: an engines worst enemy.

Ohh my purdge solenoid is mounted on the same bracket as the fuel and nos. I ran a 1/8 stainless steel line up to the front along the frame and it comes out right near the steering stem nut with the Blue Led Intimidator, So when I purdge the line it sprays up right in front of me with the blue LED giving it that blue cloud effect. I need to post a video on your tube in the dark looks real cool!
:eusa_dance:

My NX system came with flare jets, and SS lines, so I am good to go on that. I found 18" SS lines on eBya for $12 a piece (plus shipping) so I may try that and just sell my 12" lines.

Lankee, you must have been talking to my wife... length problems.... nice! 1400psi.... that's up there, I can see your point. If you want a progressive controller, I may have one that is slightly used from NX for just over $100. Let me know if you are intersted or if you want some pictures. I'm thinking this will really help to spray sooner w/out breaking traction.

I'm gettin itchy to press that little button!

Well, here is my first shot at my micro switch bracket. Pretty rough, but I have fit it up and it is functional, so that's good. I just want to make sure the tapped hole I am using in the carburetor is not used for anything and I will not effect the performace of the carb.

Attachments

• P1010046.jpg
    P1010046.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 62
  • P1010048.jpg
    P1010048.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 54
  • P1010049.jpg
    P1010049.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 61
I'm gettin close!!!!!!! I better hurry, I am supposed to be at the track on Saturday for my first test run. I'll first try no nitrous, and probably get used to the bike, and if I get brave, I'll try shooting a little of the funny gas!. I got the wiring "functionally" done... it ain't pretty as you can see below in the pictures.

I have a progressive controller wired up and the solenoids are flashing as they should. The fuel pump is putting out around 6 to 7psi, and I had to "dial in" my fuel pressure safety switch to shut off the system if my fuel pressure ever goes under 4.5psi.

I have an arming switch that turns on the fuel pump, powers up the relays and provides power to the progressive controler and solenoids. Once armed, I basically need three things to be true for the system to function.
1. Fuel pressure must be above 4.5 psi
2. Full throttle switch must be activated (by being @ full throttle)
3. I must press the horn switch (now my "fun button")

I still need to add my purge switch, but that is pretty minor. I will be routing and tie-strapping the new wires and try to clean everything up tomorrow and hopefully get out there and make a few test runs.

I did remove the stock breather tube and routed a 1/2" hose up and over the right rear valve cover and down to the ground by the rear brake master cylinder. Does anyone know if this will cause problems with getting it through tech at the drag strip?

I have my bottle mounted where the left turn signal would mount. I turned a aluminum rod down and had it welded to a plate I cut down. I used a 1/2" bolt to secure it to the side of the sissy bar. Pretty simple... not the best looking, but functional. I 'm not too fond on the location of the bottle, but I can always fix that later.

The fuel safety switch is located in front of the stock fuel pump and under the coolant overflow tank.

Let me know what you think, and I'll try to post some pictures when it is cleaned up and ready for the track.

Jeff

Attachments

• P1010056.jpg
    P1010056.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 76
  • P1010057.jpg
    P1010057.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 65
  • P1010058.jpg
    P1010058.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 76
  • P1010059.jpg
    P1010059.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 73
  • P1010060.jpg
    P1010060.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 86
  • P1010053.jpg
    P1010053.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 68
Can't wait to see some numbers at the track out of this!

I havent ran my yet this year with the NOS just the raw motor and turned 6.90's in the 1/8 101MPH
I cant remember the E/T's with the last 2003 motor I used to run but I remember I could hit 112MPH in the 1/8 shooting NOS 2nd gear up

Should be able to get 6.50's no problem if everything is ok.
I think he is running a 50HP shot which his motor should be able to see atleast 109MPH in the 1/8
I dont run the 1/4 mile which is 35 mins N of my in Bowling Green KY due to I dont want to get my ass handed to me every pass by BUSA's ZX12R's and Gixxers
Atleast in the 1/8 I can win half track in the 1/8 LOL

It's interesting Jeff.
Are those some crimp on connectors I see:ummm:
I hope you have better luck with em. They get moisture and the vibaration will cause them to act funny over time.
I know you are trying to hurry and get it done for the weekend, but please dude Nitrous Setups arent something to be rushed through. When you have time if you want to save yourself headaches down the road. cut all them crimp non insulated connecters off and save em for the next 5th grade Science fair project when you build a solor powered car.

Solder and Shrink tube.

Overall I hope it works..

AND NO you cant have any over flow / puke tubes routed to the ground. a neat idea,,, buy one of them NOS energy drinks and put the hose in the bottle and strap it somewhere for the time being.

Think about it, would you want to be the next person to go down the track behind a guy with his over flow tube draining / misting anti freeze or oil on the track ahead of you?
But maybe your track doesnt care, hell I have been to tracks with cracks inbetween the 2 lanes and weeds growing.

Jeff, by the way double check your front end hardware. Becareful and have fun this weekend dude, Congrats and putting nos on the V MAX!! :punk:

Yep.... those are connectors... and some wire nuts... and some tape holding things together!

What you can't see is the soldering iron sitting on the floor, and ready to go. I did solder a few splices already, but I wanted to make sure the system was functional before I put the time in to route and secure everything.

I'm running a 40hp shot, and I'll plan on spraying in 2nd gear as well ramping up from a 30% shot to 100% in 3 or 4 seconds. It is probabily on the conservative side, but I'm not trying to break any records out there. I also want to end up being able to spray in 1st gear.

I'll post some pictures later today when I get this thing cleaned up.

Thanks,
Jeff

Yupp your doing it right with the NOS man
Start out small and monitor them plugs very carefully
Start with a 3 spread jet and check check check them plugs its critical
How are you getting such high fuel pressure:ummm: is that the pump that came with the system
My gauge is only reading 4 max now with the holley piece of shit pump they gave me which I think is messing up thelast time I rode it was cutting in and out which leads me to believe my fuel pressure was lacking I am going to hook up an LED which will be wired to the solenoids to let me know when the soleoids are energized its to hard to look at gauges when on the juice and your arms are being stretched :rocket bike:
Jeff[/quote]

Lankee, are you running colder plugs.. of so one step or two steps colder?

That fuel pressure is coming from the Nitrous Express fuel pump that came with the system.

My progressive controller flashes when the solenoids are activated. Attached is a picture of where I mounted it... easy enough to see. Not pretty, but I'm not trying to win a beauty contest right now.

Attachments

• P1010067.jpg
    P1010067.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 53
Lankee, are you running colder plugs.. of so one step or two steps colder?

That fuel pressure is coming from the Nitrous Express fuel pump that came with the system.

My progressive controller flashes when the solenoids are activated. Attached is a picture of where I mounted it... easy enough to see. Not pretty, but I'm not trying to win a beauty contest right now.

Yeah I am running one colder plug DPR8EA-9
I am also thinking of building a small fuel cell so I can run high octane race fuel when on the NOS

I like where you mounted that controller you will have time to clean her up and make her all pretty
Most important that everything is solid electrical and mechanical

Who cares what it looks like?? You'll be so stinkin fast we won't be able to see it anyway!:biglaugh:

Well, I got everything buttened up tonight, and got my wiring mess sorted out, for now anyway. I fired up the bike
and put on my helmet, coat and gloves and went for a ride. I didn't have my colder plugs put in yet, but since I only had about 700psi at the nitrous bottle, I figured it would be o.k. to take it for a test ride and make sure everything worked before heading to the drag strip. With only 700psi, the thing will be running rich, so I went out and opened her up a few times.

It's fun!

I had to battle about a 25mph cross wind, and that isn't fun... plus it was dark, plus it is like 45 degrees, plus this is the first time I have ever played with nitrous. With the progressive controller I had it spraying 50% (20hp) to 100% (40hp) in 2 seconds. I think I'll be able to spray in second on up without too much trouble. Shit happens so fast... now I need an air shifter and an ignition interrupter, and wheelie bars, and....... and.... and....
When the v-boost opens and you hit the funny gas button.... hold on! It really feels like the front tire wants to take off (oh yea, that already happened.... different story) anyway, I am pumped to get to the track tomorrw. I don't have a bottle heater, so I'm not sure what I will do to make sure my bottle is up to pressure, but I can worry about that when the time comes. My plan is to make a few passes w/out the nitrous, and really focus on my launches and powershifting. Afterall, I have only made 3 passes in my life on a bike.

I'll be sure to post my times and try to get some movies/pictures of the races.

If anyone is in Iowa/Illinois I'll be at Cordova tomorrow from 11am - 4pm.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back