Near Crash - Learn from my mistake!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotsokids

Reaction score
I recently bought an FJ1200 - hey, at least it's a Yamaha... and I still have my V-Max.

I was leaving work Friday and I waited for a medium sized flatbed truck truck to pass before pulling out on the road behind it. He was going pretty fast, and I started to accellerate pretty hard. Then, the next thing I know he's STOPPED in my lane. There's a car approaching toward me in the other lane (2-lane highway). He was picking up some friends on the right. It was obvious I was NOT going to stop in time. This thing was like stopping a freight train. I smoked the back tire pretty bad, yeah, the heat of the moment. I was cranking on the front brake as much as I dared. This is the point where you think, "this is going to hurt..." But fortunately the guys saw me and stepped back as I slid the bike off the road in the dirt just to the right of the truck and in front of the guys, stopping about 5 feet in front of the truck. I didn't lay it down, but it got my attention. I've been riding for 26 years now, and that's one of a couple extreme close calls I've ever had.

Lessons learned:

1. Don't follow too close - expect the unexpected.
2. Uneccessary accelleration on a heavy bike in traffic can hurt you quick.

good lessons man. glad ur ok firstmost.

Did you have to U-turn for home and a clean pair of underwear? :rofl_200:

Fortunately, you had a happy ending to tell.

Phew.... THAT was close... Also remember one more thing... Cold tires don't like to go or stop...

Glad you made it out OK.

Chris

good to hear you made it out ok from that one.
Ive always said learn from others as you wont live long enough to experience them all yourself.
good lesson for all of us.

YIKES!!!!!!

Glad you made it through that one........

Maaaannn thats happened to me a few times.
I have also learned that old Honda 900`s don`t like to stop either
so, I bought a V-Max.
Have I learned anything ?????? KEEP YOUR DISTANCE.
Bwahahahahahahahahah.
Glad your`e ok.
<<Dave>>:punk:

Why I love the R1 brake system conversion the P/O did....everything, discs, calipers, SS lines, and master cylinder/remote reservoir from an R1(even has an adjustable lever). For a heavy bike, my Max stops on a dime. Far better stopping power than my Magna had, despite being prob 200lbs heavier.

I hate those "oh SHIT" moments on the bike. Only had one really close call, and that was on the Magna. Better brakes would have been a huge help in me not coming to a screeching halt literally inches from the bumper of a car that stopped in the middle of the road to pick someone up off the sidewalk. I had to pull over afterward for a few minutes.....I'd heard the "adrenalin crash" was bad, and it is. I was all shaky and amazingly suddenly exhausted for a few minutes.

Well, be glad you didn't earn yourself a "purple heart" ....the award here you really don't want to get.

I'm glad your OK.
Two things I've learned about riding. Motorcycles usually speed up much faster than they slow down, And always try to be aware of an escape route. There isn't always one, but it's critical to have that thought process when your riding.
Tim

Another kiss the pavement for forgiveness day. Glad to see you were able to steer yourself safe on that close call. Nobody wants to have to down their ride and you managed to pull out ok. Good work and BE CAREFUL out there!!!!

Latest posts

Back