!!!!Need Some Serious Help!!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RagingMain

Reaction score
My ignitor shit the bed on my 86
my parts bike is a 90, they wont match.
I am looking for a dyna 3000 for my 86.
Dyna doesnt make anymore and need to see if anyone out there might have one or a line on where I can get one.
All help and tips are greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Dyna doesnt make anymore and need to see if anyone out there might have one or a line on where I can get one.
Thanks in advance

Im working on 3 bad units from Sean.

It will take some time couse I dont have anyone near to check pre 90 TCI.
One seems to be OK but I must bulid complicated testing jig first.

Good luck them dynas are hard to find. even ufo is out of stock.
dyna stopped making them. due to only selling about 5 to 10 a year.

Thanks in advance
Are you using cops? If so what is your resistor value? Do you know why your TCI ignitor bit it?

no luck here, what is the difference from -1990 to +1990?

Different style ignitions. Not compatible through the years.

Are you using cops? If so what is your resistor value? Do you know why your TCI ignitor bit it?

I am using COPs, the value is 1.8 ohms.
I dont know why it bit it but it is not uncommon that the older ones fail.
With that said I would think that running the extra resistors with the COPs on a stock ignition wouldnt be a bad idea.

Problem is early ignition used 4 pickup coils and the late model uses just the one. What would be cool is if someone was smart enough to make a "switch". Early, or late model mode.

I am using COPs, the value is 1.8 ohms.
I dont know why it bit it but it is not uncommon that the older ones fail.
With that said I would think that running the extra resistors with the COPs on a stock ignition wouldnt be a bad idea.
Yea, I've had one TCI box fail for no good reason several years ago on my '85.

Ok so I am debating pulling the entire wiring harness from the 90 and putting it on the 86 so I can get the new ignition.

Anyone ever done this. Shouldnt be that hard, just take a while.

You'd have to transfer the ignition pickup as well. I'd start first with the pickup to work through any mounting issues that exist. I don't know anyone who's done this but most likely it has been.

Ok so I am debating pulling the entire wiring harness from the 90 and putting it on the 86 so I can get the new ignition.

Anyone ever done this. Shouldnt be that hard, just take a while.

Yea I did it (although '86 for '86) and it really wasn't that hard.

Need to remove faux-tank, scoops, seat, open headlight, unscrew both component panels on either side, and it helps to loosen the TCI mounting bracket.

Other than that, you just cut a few cable ties, unplug everything and pull the harness, then replace with the new one.

I'm just not sure what the differences will be between '86 and '90, I know that's when the ignition went digital, right?

You'd have to transfer the ignition pickup as well. I'd start first with the pickup to work through any mounting issues that exist. I don't know anyone who's done this but most likely it has been.

The flywheel as well

Also diode block, starter cutoff relay, etc. It's best to swap all components with harness.

:ummm: Early ignition used two pick up coils not four. That would be good to convert though. Maybe a project for you electrical wizards. Spurs

There are two boxex but two coils per box. Connector is five wire....4 coils plus the ground.

To the change list you will also need to add:

Turn signal relay.

Note also that the red connector to the rev counter/ Water temp/ idiot light pod on the later loom has six connections whereas the earlier one has five.
Not insurmountable but may be easier to swap the pod as well.

Back