New Bike... Build about to Start!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagnaVMax

Reaction score
Hey everyone... I've actually been a member here since 2006 but haven't been around cause soon after i joined i got deep into sport bikes. Well after 5 years i have finally purchased a Vmax.

I found a 1998 Black Vmax for $1700 on craigslist. The guy has swapped at 1985 motor into it but it has a ticking noise (not a knocking noise) coming from the front left of the engine. I have no clue... But luckily the bike comes with a spare 2004 motor and the original 1998 motor. Both have a spun rod bearings on the #1 rod. So hopefully my buddy who will be doing the work for me while i'm gone can get that figured out and fixed. Any idea's on what that may be?

The bike has custom guages, 5" autometer pro comp tach with adjustable shift lite, seat has been cut and lowered, a shortie rear fender, a Kerker 4-2-1 with a 2.5 comp baffle, he said stage 4 jetted carbs (i know nothing about carbs), a Deadenbear Pro Super Crossover, and i guess a bunch of other odds and ends he's collected in the 11 years he's owned it. We'll just have to see when it shows up.

But i know once the bike has been repaired and my build is finshed i will be selling a LOT of parts.

Bellow are two pictures of the bike and a picture of the bike i'm usuing as a reference for my build. I really like what that guy did with his bike. I started a thread in another part of the forum asking if anyone knows anything more about it. All i can find is a couple pictures.

Attachments

• 3n53ka3l65W25U55P5b787a0e8dda43801260.jpg
    3n53ka3l65W25U55P5b787a0e8dda43801260.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 281270_587295284185_80402800_32523620_2165861_s.jpg
    281270_587295284185_80402800_32523620_2165861_s.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 79
  • matte black vmax2.jpg
    matte black vmax2.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 81
  • matte black vmax.jpg
    matte black vmax.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 67
Sounds like you've got enough extra parts to get most of your money back and still have a bike... Cool Concept Bike.... So, what part of this planet are you living on???

sweet man, for sure your gonna have fun.

think the ticking noise is just a gasket leak at the header? or a crack in the pipe?

Sounds like you've got enough extra parts to get most of your money back and still have a bike... Cool Concept Bike.... So, what part of this planet are you living on???

Currently i am deployed to Afghanistan (Army, Infantry). And stationed in Ft. Polk, LA.

I am originally from the great state of Kansas. Located pretty close to Sean Morley in fact.

sweet man, for sure your gonna have fun.

think the ticking noise is just a gasket leak at the header? or a crack in the pipe?

I am really looking forward to the build... Sad i won't be home for most of it though. But i am thankful to have a good friend who builds custom bikes for a living that is going to help me out!

As for the noise i have no idea, and the gentlemen i purchased the bike from really didn't know either. When the noise started he just stopped riding, and decided to buy a new bike. That's why he parted with the Vmax. Heck of a guy though and very helpful so far!

Cool ! You got a good deal. I was gonna drive up there & buy that bike but was a little to busy.

Lol, thanks for the letting me get this one :punk: ... Yeah it worked out really well. I've been wanting another bike and this one was priced to well to pass up. And now I'll still have the money i need from this deployment to get furniture and appliances for me and my wife's first home! Can't wait to get home to her, and a semi normal life again :banana: !!!

keep us updated with pics man, we cant get enough of that on the forum

Hope your engine build comes out well, sounds like you will have a butt load of parts to sell off that will help pay for the build. It would be wise to upgrade the tranny while the engine build is going on. Sean Morely has all you need for that and well worth looking into while the engine is apart. Stay safe so you can enjoy normal life once again, and thanks for serving our country........Joe

I debated buying that same bike but it's going to need some work. Still, it's a great starting point for a complete build. I am sure we can help you with almost anything you want.

Sean

Currently i am deployed to Afghanistan (Army, Infantry). And stationed in Ft. Polk, LA.

Do folks still call Leesville, La "Sleezeville?"
Thanks for your service, man. I hope to see you back at home station and on your new to you project bike before too long.

When I when to Basic Training at Ft Polk in 1966, we called it Ft Puke and Leesville was Diseaseville. What a disaster area! Hope they have upgraded the facility since then.

Do folks still call Leesville, La "Sleezeville?"
Thanks for your service, man. I hope to see you back at home station and on your new to you project bike before too long.

When I when to Basic Training at Ft Polk in 1966, we called it Ft Puke and Leesville was Diseaseville. What a disaster area! Hope they have upgraded the facility since then.

Lol yeah good ol Sleezeville, Diseaseville, it carries many names! None of them good. Leesville is still a dump. Usually me and the wife will go to either Alexandria or Lake Charles to do anything.

Post has improved a lot though! They have a big new PX, and they are getting ready to start construction on a new commissary as well (if they haven't already). Housing is getting better but it still has a ways to go yet. And of course 4th Brigade 10th Mtn gets shit for not being the "Real" 10th Mountain. I'm looking at switching to 509th when i get back and playing OpFor for the troops coming in to train at JRTC.

But back to the bike. If anyone has any insight on this bike i would greatly appreciate it! Things i need to do, look for, change, fix, anything like that. I know my friend knows what he's doing, but this will be his first Vmax build so we're both new to the bike.

Most of you guys have been working with these bikes for years, so you will be a huge resource to us both!

As far as input on the bike, didn't you mention looking for a flat tracker tail in an earlier thread? If that was you, I kinda like that idea. Other than that, you can def sell any cast off parts on this forum when you get back.

And I know its a little it of a drive further than Alexandria, but the exchange and commissary up at Barksdale are pretty nice and fairly new. Not close enough for everyday shopping, but worth the trip for big ticket items. Also there are a couple of good bike shops up in Shreveport.

As far as input on the bike, didn't you mention looking for a flat tracker tail in an earlier thread? If that was you, I kinda like that idea. Other than that, you can def sell any cast off parts on this forum when you get back.

And I know its a little it of a drive further than Alexandria, but the exchange and commissary up at Barksdale are pretty nice and fairly new. Not close enough for everyday shopping, but worth the trip for big ticket items. Also there are a couple of good bike shops up in Shreveport.

Yeah i plan on doing the flat tracker tail from exactrep... However i think i'm going to cut the lip off of the back of it so it's more of a strait look. It will also have the pillion pad on it for my wife. I will more than likely remove it when she's not riding though.

And pretty much all parts i don't use or keep for backup, plus at least one if not both extra motors, and the deadenbear, plus probably some wheels as well will all be going up for sale here on the forums.

Us privates don't get paid much :confused2: ... Gotta try and make some of that money back to keep the wife happy!!!

yup, that is his. He did love his Shinkos and bragging on how he beat the hell out of his bike and went through several motors. My favorite story was the cut swingarm :clapping:

Yeah i plan on doing the flat tracker tail from exactrep... However i think i'm going to cut the lip off of the back of it so it's more of a strait look. It will also have the pillion pad on it for my wife. I will more than likely remove it when she's not riding though.

And pretty much all parts i don't use or keep for backup, plus at least one if not both extra motors, and the deadenbear, plus probably some wheels as well will all be going up for sale here on the forums.

Us privates don't get paid much :confused2: ... Gotta try and make some of that money back to keep the wife happy!!!
Shoot me a PM when you get ready to get rid of stuff. I am usually in Tennesee at least oce a year. I usually stay in Maryvill when I am there & always have at least one Max with me to play on.

Latest posts

Back