new front tire on backwards?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carnut108

Reaction score
had a new Avon directional tire put on the front of my 05. took it for a test ride and the speedo does not work. I think the guy put the tire on backwards because the speedo sender unit is now on the right side of the rim ( sitting on bike) and I thought I remember it being on the left side when I took off the tire. The way it is hooked up now, I think it is turning the speedo cable backwards. Which side should it be on ?

On the left.
Is the cable even long enough to reach over there?

There are some cable guides/clips on the left to give a clue where it goes.

Plus only the left fork has the molded boss to keep the sender from moving.

Thanks Rusty, that's what I thought. Now I have to take it back to the shop and have them flip it. The thread pattern look backwards too. but I want by the directional arrows on the tire in its current position, which is backwards I now realize.

And they let these people loose on customer bikes?????? I think whoever did this needs to be taken out the back and have the error of their ways explained.........with a cricket bat!

Wow! That guy needs to seek employment in another field! There is a wire cable guide on the left fork leg, directional arrows on the tire, the boss on the left fork bottom...the guy ignored all of them. It's a safety issue also, the tires are designed to shed water when mounted properly, they had yours set up to cup water which could cause hydroplaning.

There was potential here for a major problem. Glad you noticed it. :punk:

You know....this is why I take my tires somewhere to have the tires mounted to the rims, and then I mount my own rims on the bike.

please note - some tire treads for front or rear tires look like they are going in the wrong direction. you have to note the direction stamped in the tire and not just by the pattern.

Is there even a tab on both sides that the speedo drive locks into?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

If I read correctly he pulled he wheel and carried it in to a shop.

So its a little easier for the shop to screw up.

Are all speedo drives and shaft drives on the left?

I dunno

i'm not sure how the speedo would not work though? even without the boss to hold the speedo drive the cable would keep it somewhat there, sort of, and the speedo drive won't fit on the other side of the wheel (where the clips to drive it aren't there).

can u put some pics up?

This is something i never saw before. What a retard... Don't even know how they were able to mount it... Probably the speed drive is backwards. I would hope for it not to damage the speedo gearings

Ok...I figured it, all you need to do is ride the bike backwards and everything will work out fine.:punk:

You know....this is why I take my tires somewhere to have the tires mounted to the rims, and then I mount my own rims on the bike.

This is what I did. I followed the arrows on the tire, and yes, the speedo cable will swing to the wrong side. I had the cable guides off the bike at the time, so I missed that clue. Anyway, took it back to the dealer and raised hell. They fixed it after apologizing all over the place. They said the installer will be written up with a warning.

I'm just amazed that you were able to fit the wheel back to front without realising something was wrong...
Yes the tyre guy screwed up...I've had it done before too....but seriously...

Back