New Max... 295 Hp? Info/rumor thread...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Allegedly from the May issue of Super Bike:

Quote:
214 H.P. and $14995. 9.37 1/4 mile with 151.885 trap speed.
Dang.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

I went to this site and backed into a weight and rwhp number that gets to a 9.37 ET. http://www.amadragbike.com/horsepower.asp

Assumed a 650 lb bike wet weight plus 175 rider = 825 lbs
+ 198 rwhp
= 9.37 @ 145.4 MPH.

This site probably assumes a slick rear tire but it is a ballpark estimate.

I'm betting the new Max is gonna tip the scales at 540-560lbs......????????

Or about 20-40lbs heavier than the ZX14 or Busa....Tho' I'm not sure how much they
weigh exactly????

I'm betting the new Max is gonna tip the scales at 540-560lbs......????????

Or about 20-40lbs heavier than the ZX14 or Busa....Tho' I'm not sure how much they
weigh exactly????

*edit* "Motorcyclist" Streetbike Buyer's Guide listed both with a dry weight of 485 lbs.

"Rider" magazine listed the following wet weights:

'Busa - 580 lbs
ZX-14 - 563 lbs.
B-king - 572 lbs.

A cruiser with shaft drive and an 1800cc V-4 might be a little heavier but who really knows.

Last edited:
Unlike all the other "cruisers" the new Max is supposed to be aluminium framed too. It's all speculation right now though.

Unlike all the other "cruisers" the new Max is supposed to be aluminium framed too. It's all speculation right now though.

That would be interesting. The motor has always been the heaviest piece of the bike. Now that it is bigger, it is going to be harder to make it lighter. And they stuck with a shaft drive... that would have to be bigger than the original.

Whatever that lower cooler is, water or oil, I just cant get by how much that thing looks like a last minute add on. To me that just uglies out the whole bike. Like some engineer said " Holy Crap, we forgot to install this cooler and now theres no real logical place to put it" Another engineer,," Here just stick it way down here under the upper cooler, its the only place we really have left" First engineer.." but wont it get totalled by any littel bit of road grit, like the smallest piece of gravel that gets shot up there by the front wheel? Plus any kind of speed bump or parking lot entry will tear ir right off" Second engineer " Who gives a crap, this is a prototype..this engine doesnt even run and this bike will never see the daylight of a dealer's showroom anyhow. Its just designed to keep the Vmax faithful hanging for a few more years, so they don't leave us and buy another brand." First engineer.. " Yeah I guess so, the dealers dont care anyhow, the just want another ugly assed slow Harley looking thing. You are right Ill just stick that cooler on anywhere down here. Pass me the super glue please"

The conversation probably went something like this:

"Holy crap, this thing runs hot!"
"Yep, better put an oil cooler on it too"
"Where?"
"Let's put it low right underneath the radiator"
"Good idea, it'll get hit all the time and that means more service work for our techs"
"Man, this thing is fugly"
"Yeah, what were we thinking?"

The conversation probably went something like this:

"Holy crap, this thing runs hot!"
"Yep, better put an oil cooler on it too"
"Where?"
"Let's put it low right underneath the radiator"
"Good idea, it'll get hit all the time and that means more service work for our techs"
"Man, this thing is fugly"
"Yeah, what were we thinking?"
I forsee a mod being quickly developed to replace that lower or even both radiators. And it will probably just when I get enough $$$$ saved up to get one too.:eusa_dance:

I forsee a mod being quickly developed to replace that lower or even both radiators. And it will probably just when I get enough $$$$ saved up to get one too.:eusa_dance:

But I hate the fact you have to mod a bad design because Yamaha couldn't be bothered to! :damn angry:

thats a lot of motor im thinking the red line will be lower

I agree. I'm guessing 8500-9000 whether 1800 or 2000cc.

The MCN teaser jayhawk posted shows a 9500 redline; you have to zoom way the hell in on the "riders perspective" picture.......

Average piston speed is a lot of what dictates redline, there's some magic number out there that varies by crank and rod strength and greatly effected by piston and rod weight weight. I was looking over on another Forum where they were talking about pushing the strength of the rod and crank up to the point that the inertial accell/deccell of the piston became the bad guy; pulling the centers out of pistons due to the massive accell/deccell forces. This was on very short stroke F1 engines.

The actual calculation of what it is simply stroke and RPM, varying the rod length can change it by a percent or so since it changes dwell time at BDC and TDC but it's almost inconsequential when doing the calcs, you gotta dig deep into the geek files to even find a calculator that takes it into consideration.

So increasing displacement by bore and not stroke only effects the piston weight part of the estimate.

The "estimated "magic number for very high performance applications using the best of the best in mettalurgy is around 4700-5000 feet per minute average speed. That's just an average as the piston comes to a complete stop twice every revolution, max speed is considerably higher..
The current Max has an average piston speed of about 4100 feet per minute. If you ran a 327ci small block chevy to 7500 (possible, I've done it regularly even with a cast crank and didn't break anything) you see about the same piston speed as a Vmax at redline.

To keep the current stroke and still make 1800 cc's would take a bore of around 93mm.......That would retain the current RPM capability...I wouldn't expect Yamaha to go that route since an oversquare engine sacrifices torque; but who knows, with 1800cc's there would be torque tp spare in the pursuit of horsepower.........They also could have gone ahead and lengthened the stroke and still retained the 9500rpm redline by lightening and strengthening the rods, crank and pistons to handle it...

Geuss we'll know in 1hr 27m and 43 seconds

Back