New to me 96 Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birchwood85

Reaction score
Well after all the info I recieved on here about the 85 I was looking at I found a nice 96 Max a lot closer to home. After bout an hour of haggleing we reached a deal of $3000 plus tax and tags. The wife might kill me because I am a bout a grand over budget but oh well. I have added a few dealer pictures but when I get it home I will send a few more. Thanks again for all the info!!!

Attachments

• 96.jpg
    96.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 96-1.jpg
    96-1.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 96-2.jpg
    96-2.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 53
I know that in the pictures it looks red but it is really a Rusty Orange, looks different. Dealer had bike painted same as his truck, left ovet paint I bet.

I think you made the right choice with this one compared to the 85. Good luck with it Birch and ride safe.:punk:

Congratulations!!:clapping:

You made the correct decison. Just tell your wife that this model is much more relaible and will be less to up keep compared to the 85 model.

Looks good and get used to the bike before you start ripping on it. A VMAX is a lethal weapon if pushed to extremes. Trust me on this word of advice, I have ran mine off the road 2 times with speeds over 70MPH and got lucky to talk about it.
This bike will not take a turn faster then what it decides to and there isnt a damn thing you can do about it!

It will be awhile before I get to do any real riding due to our weather up in this neck of the woods(Northwestern Wisconsin). Salesman had a fit about wanting to test ride due to icy conditions. So when I sat the cash down on his desk he was a little less hesitant even thou when I tested on the trans like you guys said I could get not her to hook up, until about 4th try but no problems. The only thing that I noticed was the heat shroud on the right side was messed up, it appeared to happen in reverse from damage, so thinking it was an off loading issue, only noticed when I was lying on floor in showroom. Do you think 3 grand is a good price with it having 26,700 miles? They said that there was a magnetic tank bag from PO that scratched her up thats why they painted it. Its a different color that reminds me off a Mustang that I had in the past( Another story all together!!) I'll be looking around and chiming in when I can and again thanks a bunch!!!

It will be awhile before I get to do any real riding due to our weather up in this neck of the woods(Northwestern Wisconsin). Salesman had a fit about wanting to test ride due to icy conditions. So when I sat the cash down on his desk he was a little less hesitant even thou when I tested on the trans like you guys said I could get not her to hook up, until about 4th try but no problems. The only thing that I noticed was the heat shroud on the right side was messed up, it appeared to happen in reverse from damage, so thinking it was an off loading issue, only noticed when I was lying on floor in showroom. They said that there was a magnetic tank bag that scratched her up thats why they painted it. Its a different color that reminds me off a Mustang that I had in the past( Another story all together!!) I'll be looking around and chiming in when I can and again thanks a bunch!!!

You can either keep an eye on EBAY for the right side shroud or remove the phillip head screws and take it off. There is a thin clear film over the aluminum that can be removed (but its a pain in the ass to do) also you can spray paint the black area and use some wet 1500-1800 paper to smooth out the scratches... I just used the Plastic Paint made by Krylon and it kicks ass, I used them on the platic neck covers.. The key is the wet sanding to get the finish you want..
Its not bad to get a VMAX painted. just 3 pieces really,, Front Fender, Rear Fender and Faux.....

Birchwood - I think you got a GREAT deal. Christmas '08 I bought myself a '96 basket case for 2800K & that's the cheapest VMAX I've ever seen in these parts. Took about one full year to get it to where it's a daily driver - now I have a lot of cosmetic work ahead of me this year. Your new bike looks great & if it's rideable you're way ahead of the game. Great purchase ! - Welcome to the Club !!!:eusa_dance:

Man, I am no computer guru here. when I open up the thumbnails i can hardly see them. I click on "open link in a new window" but i just can zoom in on the photos. I have that problem alot on this forum. Any suggestions?

Sorry for the hijack. From what I can tell, the bike looks pretty clean in the pics. If all seems to be running right I would say thats a good deal man. That really not a whole lot of miles. I'd steal it for 3K! Congrats on the find!

Grats on the purchase Birchwood!:punk: I paid $3500 for my '92 but it only had 3400 miles and bought it from the original owner.
I live in the eastern end of the U.P by Sault Ste. Marie, Mi. I don't have any current plans on heading your way but if they still are racing the off road trucks in Crandon, that could be a good reason! I have always wanted to go one of those races.
Anyways, have fun with your new Vmax and be safe!

beautiful bike man! congrads!! can't wait to see some better pics

i think u got a good deal man...

Yes they still race trucks in Crandon but I have not been there either. The pictures were given to me by dealer so they are real small but when I get her home tomorrow I will take some better pics.

Fanfreakintastic Birch,...I think you got an awesome deal. But then again I'm Canadian , so were pay twice that amount for the same bike.....lol
I bought a 95 last year about this time , it had 16000k ,aftermarket exhaust, stg 7 jet kit. He had'nt ridin it for 4yrs. Asking price was $6000., few beers later ,got it for $5300.
Been the happiest tire shredder in Manitoba ever since ...:eusa_dance::eusa_dance::punk:

Keep it shiny side up.

Well after all the info I recieved on here about the 85 I was looking at I found a nice 96 Max a lot closer to home. After bout an hour of haggleing we reached a deal of $3000 plus tax and tags. The wife might kill me because I am a bout a grand over budget but oh well. I have added a few dealer pictures but when I get it home I will send a few more. Thanks again for all the info!!!

That's not a bad deal for a 96. The backrest should keep your wife happy as she won't be able to fly off the back. Tell her that is the only year that came with it and you were concerned about her safety and that is why you are a grand over budget! :whistlin::biglaugh:

That's not a bad deal for a 96. The backrest should keep your wife happy as she won't be able to fly off the back. Tell her that is the only year that came with it and you were concerned about her safety and that is why you are a grand over budget! :whistlin::biglaugh:

Now THERE's an idea....let's see....."Honey, this is the only year with a turbo and I thought the extra power would be nice in case your fat-assed mother wanted a ride"......no, I guess that might not be so good after all.........:rofl_200:

I think 3k for a '96 is a decent deal if it needs nothing.

Pictures were way too small to tell, but it looks in pretty decent shape to me. And we all know that a higher mileage well maintained bike is much better than a low mileage 'sitter' of the same year.

Well done, enjoy!

Very nice, what dealership in Wi did you buy it from?

Back