New to the forum couple of questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phazernut

Reaction score
Just registered today. I am looking to buy an 85 VMAX. It appears to be in excellent shape (Only seen pics so far). It has 43000km (25000miles) on it. Been riding for years but have never owned or even drove a VMAX. Is there anything I shouuld be looking for in a used one. Other than being newer are there any changes to the bike as it gets newer? It appears to be basically the same bike up till 09.

Just registered today. I am looking to buy an 85 VMAX. It appears to be in excellent shape (Only seen pics so far). It has 43000km (25000miles) on it. Been riding for years but have never owned or even drove a VMAX. Is there anything I shouuld be looking for in a used one. Other than being newer are there any changes to the bike as it gets newer? It appears to be basically the same bike up till 09.

Here is some info from the V-Max Outlaw site that may help you.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your purchase.

Model History (changes from 1985 to 2001)

Morning Phazernut. And welcome to the best Vmax forum ever.
There is differences in years. the better bikes being made after 95.
Till then they had smaller brakes ,forks,electrical issues (poor regulators),ground wire faults,oil tube O-ring issues,2nd gear tranny problems........but all can be corrected and is part of the Vmax journey of love and perfection....(beware the mod monkey):th_scared:
The worst problems you don't want to have right off the start with a bike that age and miles is the 2nd gear issue...it requires pulling down the motor/tranny.
Next has it been run hard up in to the high RPMs,..may have a lose in oil pressure from the O-ring being displaced.

All can be repaired through the people in this site and the vendors we all use and appreciate. ....(beware the mod monkey). We have every thing here from hard ass drag racers to Sunday drivers.:rofl_200:

So come here often,..ask questions , and have a blast.

Things to look out for:

- has it been ridden/serviced regularly, or standing for a long time?
- ride it! Go hard in second gear - if it pops out of gear don't buy it.
- find a good straight and run it up to almost red line in the first 3 gears at least, making sure it runs properly throughout the rev range.
- with such a low mileage, there's a good chance what you're looking at spent a lot of time standing, and that brings on a lot of problems, especially with carbs wear and deterioration.
- while you're shopping, have a good look around. There are many newer ones from the 90's going for very similar prices. You should not pay much more than $2500 for a pristine '85.
- when you ride it, make sure you're upright when hitting the vboost (6000rpm and up), it's a lot of power.

Bike got upgrades all along, newer digital ignition in 90, bigger forks and front brakes from 93, and all the best small engine things etc from 99 onwards.

then they had smaller brakes ,forks,electrical issues (poor regulators),ground wire faults,oil tube O-ring issues,2nd gear tranny problems........Next has it been run hard up in to the high RPMs,..may have a lose in oil pressure from the O-ring being displaced.

How accurate you are Razo.......regulatorS...grounds...2nd gear.....& oil pressure o-ring issue....ALL hit my '86 before it's final demise at 64,000 miles.......

I believe 2001 and up are the most up to date. A 1985 is still a good bike but remember you are buying a 24 year old bike and the first model year of the bike as well. The '85 had an issue with 2nd gear that was later fixed on the superseding models and most of the '85 units were fixed as well. Just make sure it stays in gear under heavy throttle input.

You're getting the small forks, and brakes. Anything '93 or later should have the better brakes and larger forks. If all you can afford is a 1985 then go for it!

Chris

Thanks for all the responces guys. This forum seems great. Considering the bike is the first year it was made and it is a three hour drive away I may keep looking for a newer one. The 2009 is so sweet but at $22000 Canadian I don't see one one in my future.

i have heard that the 85 is the fastest year ( except for the 09 of corse ) dont know if it true or not its just what i have heard.

the first '85's had a less restrictive exhaust. They fixed that then increased the Vboost size to compensate to maintain the power numbers.

The fastest was the '07. :biglaugh:

It was so fast it was capable of time travel. Thats why people make the mistake of saying the '06 and the '07 look the same. :a014:

The "06's" are really '07s that went too quick, when the tourqe was applied to the ground it actually caused the earth to spin in reverse thus reversing time (we learned this from Superman the movie). :rocket bike:

Instead of explaining quantum theory and reverse time travel, the reps at Yamaha simply created a myth of the '06 Vmax to cover up the speed of the '07 to keep the balance of the universe safe. :assimilation:

Thanks for all the responces guys. This forum seems great. Considering the bike is the first year it was made and it is a three hour drive away I may keep looking for a newer one. The 2009 is so sweet but at $22000 Canadian I don't see one one in my future.

I dont know bout you guys there but the gen1's are getting even better prices now since the launch of the 09 . Afterall it aint the LEGEND for nothing .

A 3 hour drive/ride sounds like a good excuse for me , if you get it for good $$ and ride it for a year or so and chances are you sell it for the same money you cant go wrong .

What kms/miles and price they talking ?:punk:

Forgot to mention welcome welcome welcome . We will all look after you .
But you will need to order a gear selector for it if you have probs in the future .
PM me i have pics of old and new updated ones plus a pic of what happened to my old one

Back