Newbie question about Vmax paper storage

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That box is pretty cool. I could see using one on my trailer too. Even though I pull it with the same truck 90% of the time it never crosses my mind to take the registration when I loan it or pull it with something else.

This box is motorcycle plate size. Is the trailer plate larger? I'm sure this box is available in different sizes though.

Dang, PA PoPo requires you have the trailer registration too? If it has a plate which I assume it does and it comes back in your name as probably the vehicle you are pulling it with, it just sounds like this guy has a hard on for bikers. Not sure of PA's law but wow, he's already popping you on the speed, did he check your emission levels too. What a jerk.

Its always a bad idea to keep the documents with the bike so if it gets stolen goes with paperwork as well... I wouldn't like that...

Dang, PA PoPo requires you have the trailer registration too? If it has a plate which I assume it does and it comes back in your name as probably the vehicle you are pulling it with, it just sounds like this guy has a hard on for bikers. Not sure of PA's law but wow, he's already popping you on the speed, did he check your emission levels too. What a jerk.

Ya, you need registration for a trailer in PA. They typically don't fine you for not having it on you though.

A local cop has setup a roadside inspection for commercial vehicles just up the road from our shop. My guys pretty much have to pass it due to a road closure in the other direction. 2 weeks ago he detained 4 of my guys (2 trucks, 2 guys in each, 2 trailers, excavator and loader) for 3.5 hrs. We are driving 18 wheelers or anything. They are both Ford F-450's. One guy didn't have a properly detailed logbook. The other had a trailer breakaway switch that needed attention. Then he made them throw a soft strap over EVERY piece of equipment in our flat bed (it has sides) and change the soft straps on the hoe ram out for chains ( it weighs maybe 650 lbs and the straps are rated at 5K lbs). We ran the mechanic up there with extra chains, straps and a breakaway switch. We got away without any fines.

Today, a couple guys got pulled over by the same guy and walked away with $1700 in fines. The cop said the guy should have a log book. I don't agree cause he is our warehouse guy and does only local driving within 100 air miles. Back every afternoon. He also said he needs a cdl but the truck is rated at 14K lbs and trailer at 12K lbs and CDL requirement is 26,001 lbs. I'm no expert in DOT laws but, I hope we can fight these and get some of it dropped.

Are there other companies and/or is this a normal truck route or were they looking for your company drivers Mike? It seems a little bit like a stake out to me.

I had a unique situation with my plates, my SUV is plated in State of Michigan and my trailer is permanently plated by Bay Mills Indian Community which has reciprocity agreement with the State of Michigan. Both are titled in my name but having the two different plates was enough for him to go ahead with both tickets. I know our registration system (Bay Mills) will come up while doing a query to the Michigan Registration search. I was working on the Tribal Attorney's computer when a question was asked about car insurance/ registration so we got a 30 minute one sided discussion on how the system is setup and how she worked out the current setup with the state. She laughed when I told here of my experience in PA. said that I better keep the registration with me next time.
I more than likely would not have been ticketed for the lack of registration in Michigan, but I may have, who knows. My birthday is coming up next month so the SUV plates will be moved to a Bay Mills registration since it will be much cheaper to do so.

Are there other companies and/or is this a normal truck route or were they looking for your company drivers Mike? It seems a little bit like a stake out to me.

He goes after after other companies too, not just us. Anything he can get his hands on.

I checked into this today and apparantly I need to open mouth and insert foot. I checked our database and it shows 14K GVWR. I pulled the registration and it shows 15K. Methinks its time to have someone proofread our database.

Guess

No registration documents required at all in Texas "It's on the back bumper man" (for you Cheech and Chong fans) for private vehicles.

Or for trailers. It's on the back bumper.

Vehicles requiring a special
DOT Registration (DOT number on the side of vehicle) to operate like 18 wheelers etc.have to carry them.

Back