Noise on decelleration, should I be afraid?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pez_rz

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been searching for a 'Max of my own for a few months with little success over here in Oz. I have come across an early model ('88)that seems to be ok except for a hum/whine on deceleration. It's got about 40k on it, and could be had for a good price. The noise only occurs when engine braking, and isn't crazy loud.

I've searched and read through a few other threads, but I'm still looking for a bit more info.

From what I've read it could be as simple as a clean & lube of the drivetrain, driveshaft nut, worn uni or excessive lash.

Given these possible causes, does anyone have a ballpark figure to repair these faults?
Is there anything I could do to check for the cause before buying?
Am I missing something else obvious?

I've rebuilt a couple of yammie 2 strokes but haven't pulled a shaft drive apart before. I'm trying to determine if it's worth taking the risk and handing over the hard earned $

If it has the stock exhaust, its pretty normal to hear a bit of gear whine out of these bikes.

If the noise is excessive and seems out of the norm, first thing I would check would be the nut that secures the gear coupling on the differential. Fixing this is pretty easy pending the snout of pinion gear did not snap.

U-joints rarely go bad on these bikes. I've done it so I won't say its unheard of but, its pretty rare that they go bad. Replacement is fairly easy. Don't buy OEM. There are a few options for aftermarket u-joints that will save you money.

If it is a transmission problem, it will not be cheap to fix.

If you can, drain the oil in the middle gear when hot and check for filings....the drain is the lowest bolt on the middle gear cover, the one with a copper washer.

Attachments

• 100_3169.jpg
    100_3169.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 64
If it's the nut backed off, the noise will be there during modest acceleration and deceleration. If you neutralize the pressure on the differential by applying the right amount of throttle it'll disappear.... Test the simplest fixes first before digging too deep..

Digging through some other history shows it actually has over 100k on the clock so wear is seeming likely.

Stupid question, but I assume the 2LT odo is in miles? Or is it km? The gauge has the normal dual scale black mi green km..

My opinion would be if there is any concern about the shaft noise just walk away....esp if it has mega miles....and if your budget can handle it most people here would prob agree with me that you would be better off getting a '96 or newer model cause it has most all the OEM upgrades done to it......long term you would be better off....... again JMHO.

2LT is like mine that is a canadian spec full power, that one comes in Kms but either the speedo was replaced (beware of higher mileage than whats showing) or you have a american model. Usually the miles on the odometer are in the unit the big scale is (outer rim usually). If you didn't buy it then don't. The whine may come from the middle gear output as well as there is a nut that secures the U-joint as well that can shear off...

Thanks for the advice. I pulled out, and happened to run across a '96 in black, very standard and no issues I've found yet..

Just needs a general tidy up, replace the missing right carb cover trim and a dented stock muffler.

Pickup on Monday :)

Thanks for the advice. I pulled out, and happened to run across a '96 in black, very standard and no issues I've found yet..

Just needs a general tidy up, replace the missing right carb cover trim and a dented stock muffler.

Pickup on Monday :)

Good Choice...................

FOR GODS SAKE MAN...Sell the VMax at once and buy a Honda VTX 1300 or 1800 (if you can lift heavy objects with no problems). They run and they don't break. So what if they are boring.

If you keep this bike you will very quickly become addicted to in to the point that a psychiatrist will be required to deprogram you. Or...you will spend thousands of dollars more than it is worth in order to fix it. And it does need fixing.

Soon you will ship the bike to Sean Morely with a check for 30 grand and he will call you and tell you amazing things he can do for you with that kind of cash.

It's too late for me. I'm begging on the streets in hopes of getting that 30 grand and getting a Morley stroker engine and a complete rebuild of my 1986.

It came from the factory in White...the only one I've ever seen in white. And that's all it takes to get hooked.

I'm that sick now.

save yourself before it's too late.

Too late, I need to join motoraddicts anonymous! Not a single standard vehicle in the garage, my RZ and 4WD keep me poor already..

I have been scoping some Morley bling, it's got a stage7 kit so probably some supertrapps and cosmetics first, plus an oring fix.

Hmmm my 98 model has just developed the same noise. It suddenly started making the noise the last time I rode it. It must be an Australian thing. Haha. As soon as I pull it apart and figure out what it is Ill post the results for future reference.

Hmmm my 98 model has just developed the same noise. It suddenly started making the noise the last time I rode it. It must be an Australian thing. Haha. As soon as I pull it apart and figure out what it is Ill post the results for future reference.
Could be.
Foster's beer is not an approved substitute for 80-90 weight gear oil, in the final drive.
In any event, Merry Christmas, mate!:eusa_dance:

Hahaha. Cheers mate and the same to you.

Ps: the only thing that crap is fit to lubricate is the drain pipe. My max only uses 90 weight Bundaberg rum.....

You can't even buy the junk in oz..

Bundy will get it in the right mood for a brawl..

Last edited:
Aha! Another Vmax in Perth yay! I'm in Freo mate, do give us a shot always up for the odd ride. It's always fun riding a couple of Vmaxs side by side :)
I'm riding a V65 Magna right now, as my Max needs a second gear and I just need to find the time to do it!

My memory just decided to work for a moment and I remembered that the day before my bike started making the deceleration noise I had it in the shop getting a new rear tyre put on. When I got it home I noticed that the rear axle was pulled into the swingarm further than it used to be. So my question is, do you guys think that over tensioning of the rear axle nut could damage the final drive? Pulling the gears too far into mesh or something?

Latest posts

Back