Nology Spark Plug Wires

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure they realy worth the money
But they look great with those ground strap...:eusa_dance:Hot Rod looking good:eusa_dance:

If you buy these, me, i prefere the 45* spark plug boose instead of straight one.

one thing
If i had check my ignition coils before buying these nology hot-wires, i maybe would go on COP`s mod.:bang head:

You have a '90, digital ignition, toss a set of COPs in there and forget about plug wires entirely. You'll get easier starting and better response as well.

The ground lead is intended to create a crude capacitor effect and they make all sorts of outrageous claims about generating 50 kajillion volts, ultra hot sparks, and other BS. None of it's true. They're a textbook example of a gimmick, surprised they're not sold on tv at 4am along with all the other life changing products for only 3 easy payments of $19.95.

Hearsay suggests they're also dangerous in the rain.

I had nology wires on my 89 VMAX and I am currently a nology dealer. IMHO nology wires are for the guy who isn't going cop and simply wants the best of the best, and can afford it. Will nology wires produce more power in you
Max??? Well.... Maybe, that depends on the current condition of you ignition system. If you wires are shot I can just about guarantee they will, if everything is good you may see a gain but it is not likely to be significant. These wires will produce a hotter spark that will have shorter duration than stock, so if max spark is something you want nology wires may be for you. If you add some nice brisk high performance plugs to you nology wires you are likely to see some gain vs stock, but the bottom line is this... If your current ignition system effectively ignites your a/f mix more spark wont result in gains

The nology wire / brisk plug combination is a premium set up, and it is very cool. The right guy for this would be the max rider who isnt going cop, wants the killer looks and premium performance/ quality of these products and can afford to go high end on them. With the plug & wire combo I would expect some extra power vs good cond stock, but it ain't going to be like getting NOS installed that's for sure. This set up made me happy, I'm into premium performance, quality, curb appeal, any gain in power I can get and iwas willing to pay the price.

Just wanted to post up on this with some straight talk....

I had the Nology wires years ago and quit using them when they quit working after I washed the bike. They lose my wires for 2 years when I sent them in (good thing I was in no hurry). They then told me they were not designed to get wet and only for drag bikes that never get washed i guess. They are likely changed a little bit since then.

Can't get wet..... Lol.
Gotta rain sometime.

I washed my max weekly with no problem.
Sounds like somebody was jerking yer chain to me.... Sorry man, did this ever get resolved??

They did get a replacement set to me and not sure what happened to that set. I might even have it around here. Yea, I pretty much tried to explain that to them too. At the time (very early 90's if I remember right) they were just coming out for the bikes.

They lost my set when they moved to new facilities (whenever that was way back then).

Sean

4 pieces of CRAP!
Used them on my Max during 10 years, 5 years OK with a better (very little) fuel Mileage, 5 years with a stalling problem and no restart at hot idle!
I checked everything during 5 years and changed many used parts for nothing! One day i decided to change HT wires for MSD superconductors ones, the engine did not stop anymore :)
At cold i tested the Nology wires and the superconductors ones, Nology ones made better sparks..But at hot, they only make shit...

Your motor is only going to use as much spark as it needs. Throwing more spark into isn't going to do anything.

As said, if you have a weak system, then anything that is new and works correctly is going to help you out.

If you have 10 volts and have 12, the extra 2 volts aren't going to do anything for you. If you have 8 and need 10, then yes a full 10 will show improvement. That is a very rudimentary way of saying it.

Now in certain race situations where you need high voltage to ignite certain fuels, you need higher end equipment. But for a Vmax, I think stock wires and setups are just fine. If you have a bad wire or coil, look at the COPs setups. Saves you a little money over stock replacement parts from my understanding.

Todd

So basically, what I get from this (from the view point of someone that is still for the most part ignorant when it comes to motors) is that these basically boil down to being cosmetic upgrades unless the plugs you have now are not performing up to standard. They provide an improvement but not one that really makes a difference.

And they may or may not be able to get wet.

Right?

So basically, what I get from this (from the view point of someone that is still for the most part ignorant when it comes to motors) is that these basically boil down to being cosmetic upgrades unless the plugs you have now are not performing up to standard. They provide an improvement but not one that really makes a difference.

And they may or may not be able to get wet.

Right?

Top part..... ding ding ding, you have it correct.

Bottom part about being wet, I have no personal information, and I will not pass hearsay information, so you'll have to go with others information on that one.

Todd

Top part..... ding ding ding, you have it correct.

Bottom part about being wet, I have no personal information, and I will not pass hearsay information, so you'll have to go with others information on that one.

Todd

Hell I am just happy I got it right lol.

As far as them getting wet, I have no problem taking Sean at his word but his experience is 10(?) years old? I was hoping the guy who is a dealer would speak up and say its changed.

Right now my plugs need to be replaced, they are halfway melted/crummy and would love to replace them. COPS was the plan, but I don't have the $200 to drop at the moment, and I am guessing he will be sold out by the time I am ready lol.

If your coils aren't bad, then just replace the wires with some standard ignition wire. You'll be fine and pocket $180 in the process for future mods.

Todd

If your coils aren't bad, then just replace the wires with some standard ignition wire. You'll be fine and pocket $180 in the process for future mods.

Todd

Pretty much what I was thinking of doing. Not sure how much the Nology ones where. Wont lie, they do look good. Wouldn't mind seeing them on a VMax first.

That all being said. Gotta pay Morely first.

I had some and they made no difference in any way shape fasion or performance.......I gave mine away.

I had some and they made no difference in any way shape fasion or performance.......I gave mine away.

This is nothing to say that Nology are bad.

But I ve been preaching to people for years about spark in a ignition system. I am just amazed at all the sales pitches on systems that is totally bogus.

If you have a failing system, any replacement is good. If you have a proper functioning system a replacement that is an "upgrade" in a spark setup, really isn't going to be any better, unless it has different wave patterns and even then you'll possibly notice better start up and that's about it.

If your weak spark did not light up your fuel mixture, you have other problems as well.

Todd

It just comes down to this- is your ignition lighting up your air fuel mix ? it's either burnin or it ain't. If it ain't you'll know it for sure.

Do nology wires help produce fatter sparks... Yep, is it necessary to have in order to get combustion to occur... No. These wires are trick, that's a fact, but lit up is lit up. I personally like the nology wires but like I said they are about curb appeal, performance, and quality for the no compromises maxer who can afford to go high end. I'm aint into bs so selling these on the big hp gains, not for me. Nology wires especially combined with some brisk plugs will likely produce some gain but it's about bad arse bling and getting a overkill spark. This is for the true hp junkie that wants any gain he can find anywhere....like me ... Lol

Well I think I got a steal from Sean with 2 used coils and used NGK wires for about 50 bucks. changed out one coil, and wires and bike runs like a champ again... If I won the lottery Sean would have have my money in stuff for my bike.....:biglaugh:

COPS was the plan, but I don't have the $200 to drop at the moment, and I am guessing he will be sold out by the time I am ready lol.

Where'd you get that number?

I did the COP mod for a grand total of $25. 4 sticks plus the harness to cut the connectors out of, $20+$5 shipping on ebay. think they came from an R6 if I remember right.

The adapter/resistor connectors are only needed for 85-89 bikes. They simplify the process, but if you're on a budget there's no problem with just cut/splice the connectors in. All I did and they still worked perfect like 2 years later. The new ignitions don't seem to mind COPs.

Back