Non-OEM Headlight Units

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geek_Law

Reaction score
Hey Guys:

I've seen some random pics of headlight units in various places on this forum, but not really a cohesive thread dedicated to them. I'm curious what others have done.

I started working on replacing my headlight unit last weekend, trying to get rid of the massive Eye-clops unit, but I ran out of time. I did however manage to get the OEM headlight unit off, the OEM flyscreen off, and I also managed to fry a wire or fuse somewhere, because I'm no longer getting juice from the OEM headlight wires.

I think I'm gonna have to wire up a relay with fused battery power to power my headlights. Unfortunately, to use the headlight switch, I have to figure out where the electrical short is. Hopefully just a fuse, but as I said, I ran out of time.

Here are some pics of my adventures thus far. I'm curious though what results others have managed to attain with replacing their OEM headlight units. -GL

Attachments

• IMAG0074.jpg
    IMAG0074.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMAG0092.jpg
    IMAG0092.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMAG0093.jpg
    IMAG0093.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMAG0094.jpg
    IMAG0094.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMAG0089.jpg
    IMAG0089.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMAG0090.jpg
    IMAG0090.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 36
My vote is on the V-Rod headlight for a upgrade. I think that it fits the look of the V Max.
Since I have not wanted to spend a few hundred to upgrade my headlight, I changed the bulb and relay. If you go with the Eastern Beaver headlight relay and a PIAA 10904 or Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulb, you will see a noticeable difference with the stock headlight lens/bucket. Also if you do decide to use the Eastern beaver relay, get the fairing mount design so you don't have to try to stuff everything into your headlight. I was able to get it to fit, but it is tight.

Last edited:
don't do what i had on my vmax at first. done by PO. ugly as hell.

Attachments

• SSPX0081.jpg
    SSPX0081.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 100

Damn!

Also the 7" lights look COMPLETELY out of place IMO. Vrod gets my nod but I am sticking with stock.

I don't ride that much at night and did install a SS Ultra bulb which did help.

Chris

Oh my Gamorg02 ... that is not pretty!

As for my light upgrade, I was intentionally ambiguous about what I was doing personally. I've got a new light unit that arrived last Thursday. Its been in the works since last November!!! I had it custom made.

Unfortunately, the damned thing fried something when I hooked it up, so I have to re-wire it. Anyway, I hope to have it done this weekend, and then I'll post some pics and see what'cha all think.

I really like it. Its quite "unique.":rofl_200:

Heh, looks like a nose Garret :biglaugh:

I ended up with twin 6" slot type headlights. they were a snap to wire up. I wanted to go with something different and I'm liking the look. It puts out more light than the stocker which I suppose would be pretty cool but it dosn't get dark in the summer up here. But on a visibility beacon for the cagers It will do nicely.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 66
Heh, looks like a nose Garret :biglaugh:

I ended up with twin 6" slot type headlights. they were a snap to wire up. I wanted to go with something different and I'm liking the look. It puts out more light than the stocker which I suppose would be pretty cool but it dosn't get dark in the summer up here. But on a visibility beacon for the cagers It will do nicely.

I like those. Kind of a "mad max" look to it.

am i understanding this right i cant just put in a Sylvania Silverstar i have to change som relays? thanks in advance

You can, but it provides alot more light when you use a relay kit like the one you can find here;

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Products/H4_Kits/h4_kits.html
I started with the silverstar bulb and it was way better than stock. Last year I added the Eastern Beaver H4 relay kit (get the fairing mount, I didn't and wish I did.) and the light output was much better. It's a very bright white light. Even better than my brother FZ1 with 2 silverstars.
I am going to add the Hella 55/100 this year and see everything lit like daylight!

am i understanding this right i cant just put in a Sylvania Silverstar i have to change som relays? thanks in advance

i have a SS ultra and it works great. no relay. people always comment how bright it is.

I like mine, the stock bulbs SUCK so I found some high power ones with the help of a friend, installed them and throw some good light now.

Attachments

• Moore park Aug 2 2008 (35).jpg
    Moore park Aug 2 2008 (35).jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Moore park Aug 2 2008 (46).jpg
    Moore park Aug 2 2008 (46).jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 58
Suzuki SV 7" bucket, California Sport Touring relay kit, Hela 55/100 bulb abd Kissan modulator.

Bummer of it is, is that the fly screen looks STUPID (imo) with the cyber light, so no wind break. Some say it doesn't give much anyway buy some is better than none. I live with the "look" over the function. But as for the light like I said they are surprisingly bright now. I also have the eastern beaver mod too.
Here's another pic.

Attachments

• Moore park Aug 2 2008 (11).jpg
    Moore park Aug 2 2008 (11).jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 34
Here is mine.
Still need to work with a relay setup. But it's pretty much done.

Attachments

• 21022010025.jpg
    21022010025.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 50
  • 21022010026.jpg
    21022010026.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 21022010027.jpg
    21022010027.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 57
haha it's pretty unique on a vmax, I guess I'm the first lol.
I got the idea when i saw the BMW lo-rider concept.

It wasn't that cheap but the result is pretty good and hassle free :)

I'm still thinking about plugging an HID but I still remember my last melted cheap aftermarket i got before that lol

Here is mine.
Still need to work with a relay setup. But it's pretty much done.

Oh yeah ... I like that a lot.

I like mine, the stock bulbs SUCK so I found some high power ones with the help of a friend, installed them and throw some good light now.

Holy smokes. Those are the same lights that I'm using. I started with a fiberglass version of your same light unit, the "cybermax," but its been modified and customized.

What bulbs did you get for the lights? I'll order some for myself.

-GL

Attachments

• IMAG0054-1.jpg
    IMAG0054-1.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 40
Back