Odd clicking sound from the rear diff

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calimus

Reaction score
Sorry if I dropped this topic in the wrong spot, but I wasn't too sure.

At any rate. Yesterday I noticed a odd clicking sound while I was backing up the Max. This is with the engine off, in neutral, clutch out. It was steady, it seems to make the noise, stop and come back again as the tire turned.

I haven't tried to see if it's hapening when moving forward just yet. My worst fear as that some of the teeth in the diff are shot, though I'm not sure how that might have happened since I don't race the bike or anything like that.

I'm thinking I may take the rear tire off and have a look for myself on Saturday, but figured I would as the more knowledgable folks what they think.

Also, if it's the teeth in the rim side, what shoud I look to pay for a new/good condition used one. And the real nasty question. If it's the diff side, do I have to replace the whole diff, or can that gear just be replaced?

I swear I'm an idiot for not looking at it when I changed out the rear tire a few months back.

This is just a guess, but I wonder if it is the U Joint on your driveshaft. I believe there is at least 1 U joint on the driveshaft.... or I could be pissing in the wind. That just sounds like the noise you get from one with a bad bearing cup.

I intitally thought the same, but the U-joint is up where it connects to the tranny output. This is most definitly back at the diff.

However, just for good measure, when I get home, I'll have a nother go at pin pointing the noise.

We had this very situation occur a few weeks back on a V Star 1100. We inspected closely, found nothing out of the order visually. We dumped the gear oil and it was clean with no debris. We then yanked the rear wheel and inspected the drive gear between the diff and the wheel. Perfect. We checked for a piece of debris in the brakes, again nothing. Finally, we re-assembled it and it was silent. There must have been something caught up there somwhere and came free when we pulled it apart. As your Max isn't too old, I might suggest starting with dropping the gear oil in a clean container and inspecting for bits etc... If o.k., then maybe progress to a brake inspection and possibly remove the rear wheel to have a look at the drive gears between the diff and wheel. I hope it works out o.k. for you.

I'm hoping I end up with your luck. The rear brake is fairly new, but the rotor is the original. So who knows.

I'll be dropping the oil and everthing else on Saturday so maybe I'll get lucky and find the smoking gun, or it will just go away. :)

Check the large nut on the pinion. I can't tell you how many we have found that the nut was loose and causing all kinds of weird noises. If it is loose, get an impact and zap it down.

Sean Morley

Well, I took a much closer look lastnight, though I didn't tear anything appart.

I listened very closely and I turned the rear tire. The noise is definitly coming from the diff, though it sounds much more like it's coming from where the gear on the tire meets the gear on the diff.

I've also isolated it to the fact that it's a certain spot that makes the noise, it's not constant. So, the last thing I did lastnight was re-locate my clymer and tonight I plan on getting highly familiar with everything in the drive assym and possibly digging into it tonight or first thing in the morning. What sucks is that is sounds similair to bearing going bad or it could be an issue with a few teeth in the final drive gear. I'll find out more when I dig, I'm sure.

Thanks for all the input on what it could be. I'll post more about what I find and if it's not just some gunk, I'll take some pics and see about making a lil tech-note outta it.

While I am sorry for your luck, I look forward to following along with you as you diagnose this. My fingers are crossed for you in the hopes that this turns out o.k..

G Man

Thanks, I'm hoping this won't be too bad myself, lol.

I did dig into the Clymer tonight and found the exploaded view of the rear dif/final drive. Looks like there are two bearings in there and to me, the noise sounds very much like a bearing.

So, tomorrow, I'm thinking that I'll tear into the bike a bit and see what I can find back there.

Well, I never did get a chance to tear into the Max. I did stay off of it for a while though. However, This saturday my father rolled over on his VTX and wanted to go for a ride. I figured at the worst, if it was a bearing is it let go, the old man could run on and get the truck and trailer.

So I went to back the bike out and the noise was gone. I put the bike on the center stand and spun the tire a few times and couldn't reproduce it. So I figured what the hell.

We ended up riding about 130 miles for the day and I would check anytime we stopped, no clicking. Sunday, me, my wife and my father all went for another ride. 150 miles this time round and still the clicking is absent. Now I'd really like to know what the hell it was but I'm just going to keep a good ear out for it.

I'm used to my VW's sometimes fixing themselves so maybe the Max has been talking to the VW's.

There are six drive pins that engage rubber bushings in the wheel hub. The pins are pressed into a collar that mates with the rear drive spline. When the pins get dry they will cause the clicking noise you describe. Drop the wheel, remove the circlip holding the collar and pull it out of the wheel. If you see red dust on the pins, you've found your problem. Be sure to mark the position of the collar/hub before removal so it can be reinstalled in the same place. This procedure works on early Ventures and I believe your set up is the same. I grease them every time I change my tire. Ride safe, Steve

I also have, i think the same sound? It started after i changed the rear wheel. I installed an RC 18" with a 180 Metzler. I followed the manual and torqued the axle nut to 140, after reading some post about the torque i backed it off to 35 to 40 lb/ft. I also installed the washer on the drive side because of tire rub ( hard rub ) on the diff side of the swingarm. Since then i've had that clicking kind of binding sound from the diff. It's not all the time too. Most recent, when i turn the wheel, bike on the center stand, the noise isn't there. After i ride and the diff is hot the sound is there. I sometimes feel it while riding. I remember after just after installing the new wheel and turning the tire bike on stand and hearing the noise i swear i saw the wheel move away from the diff just a hair and pop back in the diff again.( would keep doing it as i spun the wheel by hand ) Doesn't do it anymore.

Attachments

• 1 yr R rear.jpg
    1 yr R rear.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 41
  • Kapaa-4.jpg
    Kapaa-4.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 35
I have the exact same clicking sound on backing up the bike. Less so when rolling forward. Just started doing this during Thunder. It does sound like a bearing going out but I made 300 miles home without a problem. Anyone else with suggestions/solutions?

Dale #2592

FYI, after reinstalling rear end after putting in the solid mounts I had a small knock but only when turning the wheel in reverse. I noticed the boot that covers the middle gear/u-joint/swing arm was not installed over the swing arm. Using a couple of pick tools and screw drivers I was able to properly install it. You would think Yamaha would put a spring retainer on the rear side of the boot too. Anyway, noise is gone. Just thought I would let everyone know there is another thing that can be checked.

I have this sound also! It sounds to me like a small piece of pipe shifting position when the wheel reaches a certain spot. It only makes the noise one time per revolution.

I'm pretty sure it is one of the spacers, prolly the bearing spacer dropping down a little (maybe just a few thousandths) and hitting the axle. I can feel it move slightly when the wheel is off.

I torque the axle nut at 50 #'s, I wonder if I increased the torque to 80 or 90 #'s if the noise would still be there. :ummm:

Maybe this is why the shop manual spec torque is 108#??:confused2:

Instead of writing a new thread, let's bump this one.

My 88 vmax has 20k miles on it. I noticed when i back the bike up that it makes that wonderful clunking sound. On the center stand, spin the wheel forward, seems pretty good. Spin it backwards, clunkity clunk clunk.

I removed the wheel, the 4 acorns and the rear hub assy. I spun the spline shaft by hand into the differential and it felt very smooth both direction.

I did the rear alignment trick without the wheel. Put it all together, still have that clunk up front around the u-joint when the wheel is spun in reverse. The boot looks proper in that area.

I know this has been discussed before, but other than the boot being on improper, I didnt find any answers.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Rick

tryt putting the rear axle thru it when you tighten it up.

Sorry if I dropped this topic in the wrong spot, but I wasn't too sure.

At any rate. Yesterday I noticed a odd clicking sound while I was backing up the Max. This is with the engine off, in neutral, clutch out. It was steady, it seems to make the noise, stop and come back again as the tire turned.

I haven't tried to see if it's hapening when moving forward just yet. My worst fear as that some of the teeth in the diff are shot, though I'm not sure how that might have happened since I don't race the bike or anything like that.

I'm thinking I may take the rear tire off and have a look for myself on Saturday, but figured I would as the more knowledgable folks what they think.

Also, if it's the teeth in the rim side, what shoud I look to pay for a new/good condition used one. And the real nasty question. If it's the diff side, do I have to replace the whole diff, or can that gear just be replaced?

I swear I'm an idiot for not looking at it when I changed out the rear tire a few months back.
Calimus -
Check in archives - technical 85-07, wheels and tires, #182 - "metal noise in hub"
Could this be your problem? The noise coming from the rear wheel hub, not the differential? Very easy to check, just put your bike on the centrestand, and slowly turn the wheel backwards. If the noise is coming from the hub, you will hear what appears to be a BB shot dropping down. Spinning the tire rapidly keeps whatever is loose in place, by centrifugal force, so that no noise is heard.
Cheers, Miles

yea thats my thread, it ended up being crap in the inside of the wheel not the diff itself.

Back