Odd clicking sound from the rear diff

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, I found that thread and read it. That thread was about pieces of metal falling from inside the hub, like a clothes dryer. When I turn my wheel backwards, you can distinctly hear it coming from up front. I need to find my trusty mechanical stethoscope, but I believe the noise is coming from inbetween the engine and the where the u-joint is. I should also say...not an odd clicking sound like bb's falling or small pieces of metal, this is a clunk sound...of course maybe what i define as "clunk", others might define with a more technical term like "thunk".

About tightening with the axel, I had the 4 acorns loose, installed the axel without the wheel and tightening it, then tightened the acorns. Removed the axel, reinstalled the wheel.

No change.

A clunk is not a good thing, so I am hestitant to ride the bike till I find the cause. Half hoping to hear that this noise is normal since we dont drive backwards anyway. Don't really want to disassemble the swing arm, but at this point, I dont see a choice. Whatever is wrong, odd that it only does it with the wheel going backwards.

one of the guys on here had the inner metal bushings in his cush drive rubbers fall into the center of the rear wheel which made some funny sounds as it was tumbling around.

one of the guys on here had the inner metal bushings in his cush drive rubbers fall into the center of the rear wheel which made some funny sounds as it was tumbling around.

me!

yea, but i could hear it forward or back. i remember reading a while back a guy could only hear a weird noise when the wheel was spinning backward and his rear pumpkin wasn't lined up right.

I had that clickiing last year at Thunder. More pronounced rolling backwards than forwards. It was an alignment issue....loosened off the pumpkin, alligned with the axle, then reinstalled the wheel. Noise gone!
I posted a yamaha tech bulletin about this on this forum.

Doesn`t sound like this is the issue in this case.

Dale 2592

I will be disassembling the swing arm to see the u-joint area. I need to isolate this. We all know that weird sounds can get transmitted so I need to go deeper on this. Everything feels and sounds good from the pumpkin back.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks guys

i have a croaking now that i can only here with the engine off. so far only heard it backwards but will check tomorrow about forwards. just put a kosman 17 on the rear, and had the tire/axle in when i tightened down the acorn nuts, but maybe it just needs to be re-adjusted.

if only backwards thats weird, maybe a shim slipped a bit out, or split pin around brake caliper hanging a little far. if its at one spot only on the wheel when you spin it by hand might help you narrow it down a little.

yea its not even clicking, its like groaning. i'm gonna loosen and re-tighten shit tomorrow. maybe with someone giving me a hand. had to hold the rear diff with the rim up by myself last time and tighten the nuts, could have easily gotten it tweaked every so slightly.

I can tell You whats the couse for sure, been there personaly.

Two things.
With all do respect to Kosman/You It can be bad,worn or incorrect instaled neddle bearing in the hub.

I also found another common issue with converting the rims, wherever the welding proces was.

Once I've got two rims of course in diffrent time, with the neddle bearing catastrophic failure.
Imagine the axle "welded" to the inner race :ummm:
About 300 tons of pressure was needed to get it out.
Of course after that the swingarm, axle and diff were junk.

And all becouse the wrong machining process.
1. The neddle bearing area was welded and gets warped.
2. Not enough skilled machinist and poor quality machinery.

I've askd that guy: Did Ya ever hear something rattling or crunching in that wheel? He said Yes, from a long time.
Just LOL...

Second case was very similar scenario to the first.
This time not that dramatic bearing failure.
Hammer did the job.
This time failure was related to wheel clutch hub.
Yep, that star thingy it the hub :rofl_200:
It was sitting not enough in the diff, only about 60%
Again...bad machining process.
Clutch hub theets in a gear are little bevel. They need to sit tight, minimum 85% of total.
If not it will create some clearance and the wheel can start to dance in the bearings.

Again the question was placed:
Did Ya hear something wrong with Ya wheel?
Again the same answer....jesus LOL...

Its funny that those guys use to calling me several times with questions: what type rim did You use? how did You machined that? what bearind? any diagrams?
I was always trying to help, gave them as much knowlage as I can.
They always saying: we will be in touch. Most defo I will buy that wheel from You.

Well after a couple of months You geting the quasi wheel "somehow" machined by "someone" , mostly with problems and mostly with swingarm and diff attached LOL
They will never say THANKS and who helpd them.
Just repair my wheel and give me the price....welcome in poland...

Funny faces the have when Im charging them 2 times more for repair then Im charging for the new wheel...

Just a funny story.
I could be wrong.

thanks for the info przemek, unfortunately i don't think any of those are the issue. its silent when cold, only when warm. only noticed it the once too. gonna try to tweak the pumpkin tomorrow. i installed all the bearings so i know they're sitting flush

what does it creaking (not clicking or anything) when hot but not when cold sound like to you przemek?

rode her into work, when i got here (12 miles) i rolled it back and forth and only made the noise once. not nearly as bad as last time. couldn't reproduce cold. i'll try 20 miles on the way home then try rolling it, see if then loosening the axle nut helps.

If You want to dig it serious show me how the inner race looks like.
Im talking about high res pic.

i will if i can't resolve it without taking the whole thing apart again. taking the rear wheel off is no longer a 5 minute job!

i will if i can't resolve it without taking the whole thing apart again. taking the rear wheel off is no longer a 5 minute job!

Yep, I know that pain in the ass!

Curently when I want to take off the rear wheel I need to unbolt the diff completly, the rear shock with linkage and the rear caliper LOL

Back