Pea shooter procedure?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ost85vmax

Reaction score
I have looked and looked for any step by steps to this procedure. All I seem to find is references to it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

They do sell sea foam in aerosol cans now for cleaning intakes.. would be better than a syringe

CAUTION!!!

A syringe works best for the peashooter proceedure IMO. You want the bike idling, and then you are putting a big DROP or two of the seafoam, or other carb cleaner into that air passage all at the same time. Pressurized carb cleaner down an air passage has the potential to put cleaner where it don't belong - eg - back down the passages to the coasting enrichener diaphrams - where it will quickly do unwanted, and costly damage. I'm guessing you might also be able to damage a float if putting too much pressure down the wrong passage.

I'd stick with a syringe for the peashooter, and put the cleaner down ONLY the passages as indicated in the peashooter instructions.

Same for doing the full shotgun proceedure, cept with that, you have the a/f needles and slides/diaphrams clear out of the way and are shooting cleaner up proven passageways where the pressure has an adequate escape, and will clean only the intended target.

I spent a lot of $$$ on my carbs in the past because I thought if a little carb cleaner could do the trick, a lot of carb cleaner under pressure could do it better. I was wrong.

can i use berryman B-12 Chemtool fuel treatment for the peashooter? and once i remove the brass plugs, do i just put them back in after im done?

can i use berryman B-12 Chemtool fuel treatment for the peashooter? and once i remove the brass plugs, do i just put them back in after im done?

You talking about on idle mixture screw??? Leave it off. No need for it.. factory just has to put it on for emissions reasons. And B12 should work the same as sea foam

You talking about on idle mixture screw??? Leave it off. No need for it.. factory just has to put it on for emissions reasons. And B12 should work the same as sea foam
yeah, the mix screw. thank you, the B12 is only 2.99 at checker/ o'reillys so i got a few bottles. sea foam was like 10.99.

i appreciate the speedy response :punk:

so my bike has 22k miles on it now, and the factory brass idle screw plugs are still in, is it safe to say that my bike has never had any carb work done? i know pretty much zero about carbs, so doing this peashooter myself is kind of a big deal to me.

assuming that my carbs have not been tinkered with since it left the dealership in 07, would it be a better idea to do the shotgun? both? i wish someone local could show me the ropes..

I'd happily show you the ropes, unfortunately I'm about as far from AZ as can be!

Both the peashooter and shotgun are explained really clearly with pictures, so you should have no probs doing either.

The fact the brass plugs are still there just mean that your A/F screws have not been tempered with - that's not to stay that no-one's been in the carbs to clean, or re-jet, or change needles etc etc..

If I was you, I would remove those brass plugs and MAKE SURE to record the factory A/F screws settings by screwing each one all the way in (gently) while counting exactly how many turns each one takes to hit its stop - that may be invaluable info.

Then you can do either peashooter and/or shotgun. The peashooter is just a quick clean-up, mainly of the PAJs, while the shotgun is a little deeper (still nothing like a thorough carb cleaning) and helps clearing the idle circuits, which can get clogged up by gunk (especially with sitting bikes) leading to poor idle and conking out when hot especially.

Then when you're done, do find yourself some nice lil' plastic caps to cover the A/F screw holes again - often they can get seized when the holes are left open to the elements and they aren't touched for a while.

i wouldn't touch it if its running well. just put some seafoam in the tank to keep it running well.

now if you're having issues then its worth it. but if it aint broken...

so my bike has 22k miles on it now, and the factory brass idle screw plugs are still in, is it safe to say that my bike has never had any carb work done? i know pretty much zero about carbs, so doing this peashooter myself is kind of a big deal to me.

assuming that my carbs have not been tinkered with since it left the dealership in 07, would it be a better idea to do the shotgun? both? i wish someone local could show me the ropes..

As Garret says, if your bike is running well, don't touch a thing. Living in Arizona, you are probably riding year around, which is playing a big part in keeping the carbs from gumming up. And if you can find non-ethanol gasoline, use it. And maybe 1/4 pint of Seafoam, every third fill-up.
Neither the Peashooter or the Shotgun are particularily hard to do, but as you say, it's way easier if you have someone with experience show you the ropes, first time around.
Cheers!

Just finished up with great success. Snappier throttle response, and smoother idle. The reason I wanted to do the pea shooter and/or shotgun is recently it has been idling rough, plugs are fine. Sounded like an intermittent misfire, was told that it could be some junk in the carb. I made a how-to video that I am currently editing and will post here first so you guys can tell me if I did anything wrong. Made a video because I could not find one, pics I saw were good just a little confusing to someone who had never done anything to a carb besides set the idle...

Back