problem shimming needles

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

06VMAXIMUS

Reaction score
Got the marks pipes installed, and pulled the slides to shim the needles but I am having a problem. Everything fits fine until I put the small spring and keeper screw in place. When I tighten the keeper screw, it makes the needle tight and therefore makes the slide tight when I install it in the carb. If I loosen the keeper screw a little, it frees up the needle and allows everything to slide as it should. I don't know if anyone else has run into this when shimming the needles, but some help would be appreciated. I don't know if I should "clip" a little off of the small spring, or shave a little off of the plastic keeper screw. Help? Bob

Did you get the nipple of the plastic spacer sitting down into it's tiny hole??
Sean

Yes, the plastic nipple was seated correctly. There just isn't enough room for the extra .040 worth of shims. I ended up placing a .040 shim under the plastic retaining cap. This put me back to the factory "slack" that the needle has to prevent binding. This should be done by anyone who has shimmed their needles IMO. If the needle is tight in the slide, it will cause the slide to bind and not function correctly. I also found that if you use a plastic tube (from a can of spray penetrant), placed through the slide, it acts as a guide to install the washers and needles into position. Got the bike back together, and it seems to run great, but I still need to check my float levels and other settings.

That's a thick shim. 1/2 clip shims are about .013 inches.

If it was me id try the next size jet,and remove at least 1 of the shims Pauls kit is .5 shim an .75 shim .

My radio shack shims are about .022, so im shimmed to .044 and my needles are tight. but dont bind when installed?
Make sure you can "wiggle" the needle side to side and in and out with the keeper screw installed. Mine were tight and even though I could get the slide to go into the carb, I could feel a very slight drag.....this is no good, it has to be extremely free in order to work properly.

Hi, I've been there before :biglaugh:. It happened when I added one shim to an already existing one. You may keep both shims if you want, but make sure that you are lightly wiggling the shim WHILE you are tightening the plastic screw. The needle must be free after tigtening the plastic screw. Needless to say as mentioned earlier, the plastic pin must be correctly in place. Good luck.

i just took 20 thousands of the bottom surface of the keeper screw
I was tempted to do the same but was a little concerned about getting the plastic threads to engage again....especially when they are way down in the slide where you can't see if they are "starting" correctly.

Back