Questions - Progressive fork spring install- please

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V-Four

Reaction score
Hi gang..couple questions bout the progressive fork spring install (1" lower.)

Watches the Morley vids several times and plan to follow it.

Im 'relatively ' mechanically inclined..yet still , im having trouble wrapping my head around how they actually work.

Im hearing talk of adding the little springs (included in my kit) in there for the 1 inch drop, and 2 little springs for a 2" drop?

How does adding make it drop lower?..or am i missing something?

Also, i presume that i am to cut the included pvc pipes to a shorter dimension (shorter than stock? i forget the actual dimension right now.)

If the small included springs somehow manage to lower, i am still cutting the pvc lower?(or do these small springs compensate somehow?)

If i cld wrap my head aroumd how these function, maybe it would all make more sense.

The tiny blurry breakdown pic included isnt clear enough to show how this all functions.

Any tips/advice / lessons would be appreciated.

Read 14 pages of the suspension threads, all seems straight fwd, yet i still dont know 'how/why' it actually works. This will prolly change by the time i get through it. (I hope). I just like to have knowledge about how things before attempting to dismantle.

Thanks much,
T $

There is one already in there so you would add the amount the distance you want to lower. One Original plus one extra for a -1" drop or 2 extra (total of 3) for a -2" drop. This trades sides with the travel. So, you give up 1" (or 2) of travel in order to lower the bikes relative position to the ground. You would shorten up the upper spacer accordingly. Again, you are replacing overall parts stack up length with a new part and something has to be removed to match.

Thanks sean ..fir everything.
Why cant i seem ti grasp that adding things makes a shorter overall Length?

What is resting on What to cause this?

So i still cut the pcvc to length.

In normal life, when u add to an object, the total length would increase..what am i missing that makes adding something a shorter total length?

Im sure a breakdown wld explain it..but NONE exist on the net..

:/

Something to think about. I had progressive springs with a 1 inch drop. Cut the spacer to length lime what it says in the directions. The ride was good but a bit on the harsh side. I checked the sag. 15 mm sag. Racetechs recommends atleast 30. I had to cut another 15 mm off of the spacers. So.....to get the best ride.....check your sag as well.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Total length of the parts will not change though the fork overall length does change. It's just what pieces comprise of the length and where they are utilized. Adding springs below the dampener decreases the travel available (more then enough anyway) and shifts the tubes further into the slider thus making it lower.

Something to think about. I had progressive springs with a 1 inch drop. Cut the spacer to length lime what it says in the directions. The ride was good but a bit on the harsh side. I checked the sag. 15 mm sag. Racetechs recommends atleast 30. I had to cut another 15 mm off of the spacers. So.....to get the best ride.....check your sag as well.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip. I will check that.

Total length of the parts will not change though the fork overall length does change. It's just what pieces comprise of the length and where they are utilized. Adding springs below the dampener decreases the travel available (more then enough anyway) and shifts the tubes further into the slider thus making it lower.

Aha.. i figured somethinlike this was goin on, just cant visualize it in my head.

I think im ready to attack this.. the damn weathers so nice tho..

Ill be back!

So..starte takin forks apart. Took off 22mm top cap, and found this?

Does this mean it cld have been lowere already?

Well..need seals anyway, lets take it apart and see whats up.

More to follow..

Attachments

• 20170625_133353.jpg
    20170625_133353.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 74
9 3/8"

What cld this mean?
Defiantly not stock.

Attachments

• 20170625_134209.jpg
    20170625_134209.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 36
It IS a progressive spring.
Identical to the new ones i got from morley.

So now just do the seals?

Attachments

• 20170625_135138.jpg
    20170625_135138.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 48
At this point I would seriously consider what you were trying to address by installing the Progressive springs. If you felt the front end was too soft or had too much brake dive and it already had them...

Also make sure you have a good seal driver or can fabricate one out of PVC!

At this point I would seriously consider what you were trying to address by installing the Progressive springs. If you felt the front end was too soft or had too much brake dive and it already had them...

Also make sure you have a good seal driver or can fabricate one out of PVC!

Always respected you nubi.
Just wondering why you think i would dig into this for no reason?.clearly as i have never done it before.

What i am 'trying to accomplish ' was initially to fix: faucet pissing fork seals , with i wld assume has zero fluid left in them, as most of the fluid is regularly cleaned off ny calipers. So, if thats an acceptable enough reason for those who have issue, i figured, while i was in there, i would lower it an inch or so. So, here i am..doin the job that ive never done before..which apparently is a no no to try to attempt, anf ask for help on a forum designed to help people. (My bad)

Yes i realize that the population of" helpful "participants has dwindled to maybe 10% of what it was frim when i 1st joined.

So, didnt mean to inconvenience you by posting about my fork thread asking for help.

For the record..i did get it figured out, and sadly it wasnt from any maxxers that helped me.
This used to ne a great community of folks 'in the know' helping other folks wanti5g to learn. Apparently theres rules about what you can adk help for and what you cant.

Ill go review your posts to see what might be acceptable here.

Thanks for thos that did offer insight on my woes.

Have fun

Why cant i seem ti grasp that adding things makes a shorter overall Length?
What is resting on What to cause this?

I was a bit confused by this in the beginning too.

The damper rod fits down inside the inner fork tube. It extends out the bottom of the inner tube and is attached to the lower leg of the fork with a hex bolt. The damper rod is what limits movement of the fork tube. Without it, the inner tube can be pulled out completely. Adding a spring to the damper rod (inside the inner tube) pushes the tube down the length of the spring, thus shortening the fork. It creates a bit more overlap. You'd think it may make the front end a bit more solid in the process.

Looks like you already have the progressive fork springs. Check to see if you have the lowering spring on the damper rod. If not, install one, or two if you'd like. I was a fan of a 1" drop with 12.5" shocks.

The PVC spacer is for setting pre-load on the fork spring. As Eric noted, its a good idea to set the sag for your weight. Its nice to have a helper steady you while you take measurements but it can be done alone if you're careful.

Whoa! Really man?? I think he was just asking why you went in there , well- because if what you bought is what you already have- and were wanting to lower them- maybe putting back in what you already have will still leave you wanting for more...?
The question helped me, and I dont think he was busting yer ballz, just tying to get you to think of what you were originally trying to accomplish-and if leaving the same springs would do that.
This is an old thread, probably too old, but I am curious as to the outcome.
I'm thinking about progressive lowering myself

Whoa! Really man?? I think he was just asking why you went in there , well- because if what you bought is what you already have- and were wanting to lower them- maybe putting back in what you already have will still leave you wanting for more...?

Yup, nailed it! I also wonder what the outcome was, hopefully it got resolved.

Back