radial on stock front rim

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn kloker

Reaction score
Is anyone else running an 18" radial on their stock front rim?

I have a 110/80zr18 Michelin Pilot Road radial on the front and it is wearing very funny.It looks like I never lean the bike at all.A 2" stip in the middle that is squared off.

For now I am going to replace the tire but I need to get a wider rim for it to work right.I think the tire is humped up too much in the middle.I have been running this front for over 2 years so a new tire will buy me some time.I just feel it is going to slide out from under me if I keep running it like this.

Kevin and I have been running radials on the stock front for a long time and they do wear funny. A wider wheel would be more benefical but now you're talking a lot more again.

Sean

I have a 110/80zr18 Michelin Pilot Road radial on the front and it is wearing very funny.It looks like I never lean the bike at all.A 2" stip in the middle that is squared off.

For now I am going to replace the tire but I need to get a wider rim for it to work right.I think the tire is humped up too much in the middle.I have been running this front for over 2 years so a new tire will buy me some time.I just feel it is going to slide out from under me if I keep running it like this.

Friend of mine is running the same size tire (don't know the brand) on his stock front wheel and has observed the same thing. He's planning on going to a wider front also...

Rusty

Those that are running a radial are you running a radial on the back also or just the stock biasply tire
I know your not supposed to mix maybe thats what is causing the coupling effect

Front and rear though you can run one way without problems (don't remember off hand which way it is for now).

Sean

French tires! lol

Avon makes a great tire for it too.

My SV tires cup over time too but it's normal as the front always wears in a weird way. I replace with the back.

i've never had any front tire not cup eventually if left on there long enough, always cups before all the treads gone..

Front and rear though you can run one way without problems (don't remember off hand which way it is for now).

Sean
you can run bias ply and a radial mix-only if you run the radial on the rear and the stocker up front. when i did my rear wheel conversion i ran it this way for about 6 months, till i came up with the money to change the front to a radial also. you can also put a 120 on the front with no clearance problems. there's an rc comp front wheel on ebay for 699/with the tire. thats about half price! if i wasnt running the r1 front end i'd buy it. good luck

regards jeff

What 18" radials are you guys running?I have a michelin pilot road now.Not a huge selection in 18" radials.

It's time for me to order one now before it slides out from under me in one of these sweepers we have everywhere.

Front - 110/80-18 Dunlop D205.
Rear - 170/60-18 Dunlop D220.

I have looked at a few other vmaxer tires and researching fjr forums, they have the same problem. i have noticed flatening mor so on the 17" wheels becuase those tires are for 400lb bikes.

first start with proper maintenance, air pressure of couse.

the main problem i beleive is you have to have a tire that is made for the weight of the bike, i know this isnt always true, because i have seen the me 880, lasertecs and avons still cup. but i beleive the flat spots are from running a tire that wasnt built for the weight.

if you notice when looking at tires they have tires that are oem specific replacements, that means they are built differently to handle the load of the bike. they have a letter to designate this like a "P". look at the 17" tires within the same model they will have two or three types one for beamers, fjr or standard for sportbikes you may want to try a tire for a heavier bike.

i have a metzeler roadtec z6 18" it is very pointed, i only have a 1000 miles on it have seen anything yet. ihave a friend that runs 17" shinkos and they are soft and they really flatten out.

What 18" radials are you guys running?I have a michelin pilot road now.Not a huge selection in 18" radials.

It's time for me to order one now before it slides out from under me in one of these sweepers we have everywhere.

I am running a Metzler MEZ1, 120/70 ZR18, front and a Metzler ME880, 180/55 ZR18 rear. Haven't noted any cupping or squaring off of the front yet and it is coming due for replacement by the end of season.

Forgot to mention in my previous post. In my research of tires and talking to different tire manufacturers/experst, they say not to mix radials with bias.

The only some what acceptable mixing of radials/bias is to run the radial in the rear, not front. I read this on the Euopean AVON webpage a few years ago.

I read quite a few articles/testimonies where people installed a radial on front and thier bike handled like shit at speeds up to 50mph.

Latest posts

Back