Radial tire brand recommendations

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newklear

Reaction score
Hey Guys!

Sandy Kosman has my wheel and is going to start working on it this weekend.

What tire brand would you suggest? I'm decided to go with a 17" wheel due to the larger selection of tires available versus the 18", so do you have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Spring WILL come....eventually!!!!

I really liked the Metzler Z6's altho that was a few years ago and there may be a new model Metz out. The Metz bias tires are made in Brazil but when I got the Z6 tires they were still being made in Germany....that would be something to check if you go with Metz tires.

i had good luck with the shinko verge. depends what front you are going with too.

the shinko advance wore too quick.

There is no right or wrong answer here. Too many options! It depends on riding style and personal opinion.

You might as well ask what is best kind and color of underwear for a supermodel to wear.

I'm running some Metz Z3 and have no complaints. I like 'em about 100X better than stock. I'm sure I will find something I like better next time a buy a set of tires.

i had good luck with the shinko verge. depends what front you are going with too.

the shinko advance wore too quick.
Ah, Thanks for the update. I'm far from wearing out the verges so I'll just keep them since they are wearing better than expected and are griippy!

Oh, and Mike the underwear color should be white!:punk:

Ah, Thanks for the update. I'm far from wearing out the verges so I'll just keep them since they are wearing better than expected and are griippy!

Oh, and Mike the underwear color should be white!:punk:

did i never update anywhere?

the front was fine but the rear was jut about toast in 1500 miles. I think there are better options out there. i liked the 130/70 front option for speedo correctness, fender fit and general ride height etc.

if i had kept the radials i would have done a 190 raven with a 130 advance up front.

I really liked the Metzler Z6's altho that was a few years ago and there may be a new model Metz out. The Metz bias tires are made in Brazil but when I got the Z6 tires they were still being made in Germany....that would be something to check if you go with Metz tires.

+1, I've run a couple of sets of Metzler Z6's. Grippy tire wet or dry. I got a set of z8's for Christmas (still German) and will be running those this season with a 120 up front on my new wheel, 180/55 in back. I've always liked Metzler's and have gottten good wear out of them. Lot's of choises out there like mentioned.
Steve

Underwear color? Really? None is better......

Thanks for the responses. Opinions on different brands is what I am looking for.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/29958/i/bridgestone-battlax-bt-023-sport-touring-front-tire

I am happy w/my Bridgestone Battleax tires. Radials, sport-touring, good grip/longevity, and a reasonable price. I have a 5.5" X 17" Kosman rear wheel, & stock front but I kept 'em on the narrow side to enhance handling as-opposed to a too-wide tire on a too-narrow wheel.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/29962/i/bridgestone-battlax-bt-023-sport-touring-rear-tire

0000-bridgestone-battlax-bt-023-sport-touring-rear-tire---.jpg

0000-bridgestone-battlax-bt-023-sport-touring-front-tire----mcss.jpg

On my rear I'm running an Avon Cobra 18x250x40 and on front I'm running the Michelin CommanderII 19x120x70 and I like the a whole lot better than the Dunlops I had before.

put another set of Avon storm tires on mine. Pretty happy with them. Be warned though, they will stand the bike right up.

im running 18" rc wheels and i run the metzler me880 180/55/18 i like the way my bike handles with these tires. As far as wear they do well but my bike is a 1500 so it eats them up every 3k

God, I've tried so many....and just when I find what I like they change the product.

Had not heard fo Shinko's till I joined this forum.

Running Michellin 120/70 front and Shinko 190/50 on back with 17" rims.

Feel good.

I have the Michelin Pilot Road 3s on front and rear, but I've never had other radials to compare them to. (And the handling of radials is simply too different from the handling of the old bias ply tires to compare the PR3s to the ME880s that I removed from the V-Max.)

At the same time I installed the PR3s on the Max, I also replaced the Bridgestone radials on the Hayabusa with a set of PR3s - the Michelins were a noticeable improvement over the Bridgestones on that bike.

I got all four tires on Amazon.

My thread: http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=31805

I agree with Mike. I run the Pilot Road 2 as well. The best thing about them is that there is a "loaded touring or 2-up riding" version for the rear. Being a two compound tire, this means that the center section is a little harder for longer life on a heavier bike and still has soft compound on the sides for great grip. Even though this is the "harder" compound, it sacrifices nothing in the way of traction wet or dry. Check it out:

http://motorcycle.michelinman.com/tires/michelin-pilot-road-2

I'm running a 190/50 on the back. I'll see when the PR3s wear out if I go to 180/55 for easier install.

Back