Rear axle pinch bolt size?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamorg02

Reaction score
Hey all..

got my new powdercoated rims back and was putting them on last night!!! it looks sweet but i snapped the rear axle pinch bolt in half.... was still easily racheting it.. not sure if it was the sub-freezing temperatures (was in a semi-heated garage) or if the bolt was faulty..

i think the bolt was faulty b/c the top snapped and the bottom was sticking thru and was easy to get out thru the bottom with a robo-grip.. don't need to drill out the bolt or anything

so my question is, should i just run down to the local h/w store and get the same size bolt (if anyone knows what it is?) i can't find it in the service manual. i know its a 12mm but i'm looking for thread size... or would u guys order a new one from yamaha??

i'll also post the pics of the rims and side panels shortly....

thanks in advance.

Just get a good quality bolt. It can even be a grade 5 or 8 bolt if you really want something good in there. I don't remember the size off hand right now but want to say 6mm.

Sean

thanks guys... yea i have the part #, just don't see spending $3/$4 plus shipping to get it to me when i can probably get a higher quality bolt elsewhere... just curious what ya'll would do and if anyone had the threadsize offhand...

thanks again!

so if anyone wants to know its an 8mm 1.25 pitch...

picked up a bolt from the local HW store. it said 8.8 on it, is that the guage? i know it isn't the size b/c all sizes said 8.8 on it...

thanks!

cool good to know. i can't believe the other one snapped and it hadn't even gotten snagged on anything... musta been a faulty bolt...

How fun do you suppose cracking the bolt at 130-140 mph would be? You must be living right because that was the place (garage) to be snapping pinch bolts.:biglaugh:

cool good to know. i can't believe the other one snapped and it hadn't even gotten snagged on anything... musta been a faulty bolt...

I've snapped one as well. They must be a softer type bolt that may allow for more "bolt stretch" and can sometimes help in keeping them tight.

it won't go anywhere right away.

Here is a not very well know fact on many Yamaha part numbers. The size of the part can be identified in the part number. For instance, in this case the size of the bolt:

08035 = 8 mm in diameter x 35 mm long

Sean

BTW according to my service manual the tightening torque on all pinch bolts on the Max is 20 Nm.

ya when we snapped it it was still easily racheting.. just f'in snapped.... cold weather too.. we were in a garage but it was like 5 ? outside...

eh, just got a nice bolt from truvalue and as good as new.. ($.65 instead of $7 with shipping from yamma)

Back