Replaced Stock Horn

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vmaxflame

Reaction score
About a month ago, I can close to being smashed by an Tractor Trailer that was making an illegal turn. I laid on my horn, swerved, and avoided certain injury. Obliviously a horn will not prevent accidents, but I felt I needed a much louder horn than stock. I replaced my stock horn with the " Walo Bad Boy Air Horn." This horn is MUCH louder than stock. The install was very simple. I had to bend a piece of metal to form a new bracket for mounting the horn. After the bracket was made, the install was very simple. Tools needed after making the bracket were: heat shrink tubing, heat gun, wire cutters, inline fuse, vice grips tie strap, and wrench. I like to save money anyway I can and ALL the items for the install was purchased at Harbor Freight, including the Horn. I paid about $25 for the horn, it was on sale, and I used the readily available 20% off coupon. I am sure there are louder horns out there, but for the price, I believe this was a good deal. I did paint the bracket black. All wires were tucked away nicely are are inconspicuous.
FYI: Advanced Auto Parts sells the exact same horn and their price is about $65.

http://www.harborfreight.com/bad-boy-air-horn-94117.html

http://www.wolo-mfg.com/air.htm

Attachments

• BadBoy2.jpg
    BadBoy2.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 220
  • BadBoy4.jpg
    BadBoy4.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 245
  • BadBoy5.jpg
    BadBoy5.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 247
  • BadBoy8.jpg
    BadBoy8.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 271
I've done the horn on my 94 but the 89 still sounds like a sick VW. I'm gonna check this horn out next time I'm at HF.. Looks like you have a very nice VMax. I'll go check out your albums if you've done them....

i saw that one at at HB as well. i went and compared it against some of the other air horns and decided in favor of one of its competitors; but then i read a review comparing that competitor against some others and finally decided with the reviewers preferred.

the install looks well done! hopefully them stupid ass cagers will know with certitude your opinion of their driving skills now hehehehe. the louder horn has kept some cagers out of my right of way numerous times. i let some dumbass hear my opinion of him leaving his mower trailer hanging out in the traffic while he sat in a turn median. i've hurried up jaywalkers crossing the highway. i even let a little old grandmother have it when she was waiting for the green light to, I guess, morph into some special shade of lime.

thank god you managed to avoid the tractor trailer. a similar incident occurred here just a few months ago, but not with such a favorable ending.

That was a great comparison.... I know which I'd prefer....:clapping:

i just put on and i love it.much louder than that pitiful stock one.although i do wonder how it will hold up to the rough ride of a bike compared to a car?and also wonder if it will endore the heat being mounted between the header pipes?

Last edited:
I pull in my clutch and wack the throttle for a horn. Honestly, if I'm in a position to need my horn, I'd rather be busy steering, braking, leaning or cussing. In fact, I keep thinking I want to make a wiring harness with as little as possible to run a Vmax like no horn, no kickstand cut out, no extraneous anything. Sometimes I wish I was carrying a flare gun though!

hahaha patmax. i was telling a friend the other day that it's almost like i went through the trouble of installing a louder horn for nothing, because on more than one occasion, like the other day when a soccer mom was into so much of hurry that she nearly took out my rear wheel making a left onto the road that i was making left off of, i was so preoccupied with my evasive maneuvers that i couldn't find the horn button to tell the jerkoff to mind their fucking business. hahahaha! nah i jest, it has have help me keeping the lifted trucks out of my right-of-way when they try to change lanes.

It's kinda hard to see in the photo's.....Will that horn have to come off when u change your oil filter:ummm:
got mine mounted against the radiatar hose with the compressor on the bottom.this way it clears the oil filter.i made a bracket out of 1 inch flat metel and bent it in a vise,drilled it and mounted to original mounting bracket.

got mine mounted against the radiatar hose with the compressor on the bottom.this way it clears the oil filter.i made a bracket out of 1 inch flat metel and bent it in a vise,drilled it and mounted to original mounting bracket.
Nice job Brad....Hope U don't give some old lady a heart attack with that thing:biglaugh:

It's kinda hard to see in the photo's.....Will that horn have to come off when u change your oil filter:ummm:

I thought about the same thing when I installed the horn. Nope, removal of the horn is not required for an oil change. Perfect fit! :)...i love when things
work out like that.

Horns are similar to middle fingers. It usually is satisfying to use it but the real jerks just do their thing anyway. Some people just don't care about you. To them, your horn means nothing. Still, a horn may prevent the inattentive driver from harming you.

Last night I was on I-95 in Miami FL using the "Lexus Lane" (tollroad but not for bikes!) when a brand-new Ford Expedition hogging the left lane decided that since the couple of cars in front of him weren't moving as fast as he was entitled to go, he should pull into the right lane and pass them. Problem was, I was in that lane. I was about 4 or 5 ft. behind his bumper. He hit the turn signal (amazing that someone on the interstate did that) and as soon as he did, I began giving him the benefit of my 100 watt high beam & alternating low beam. It had to be lighting up his interior, because it was lighting up the rear view mirror on the right like a flare went off. He swerved back to the left a bit & then the %#^#^#*** just cut the wheel & ran into my lane! Thank God I didn't try to speed up to 'defend' my position in the lane, putting me next to him as he sideswiped me. After that I just sat behind him a few lengths w/my 100 watt hi beam painting his rear. He knew what he did & didn't care. When the left lane opened up so did I & left another inconsiderate jerk in arrears. A Steibel or WOLO wouldn't have made any difference there.

A nice job on the install. I forget, does our horn circuit use a relay?

I mounted a Nitto disc horn I got at the junkyard for a couple
of bucks onto the triangular left front motor mount bracket, it came w/a strap & fits nicely there. When I was having my friend do an engine swap the bolts for the horn mounting wrung-off the crossbrace so to avoid having to remove it to drill out the snapped fasteners I just relocated the horn mounting to that left-side front motor mount triangular bracket.

The WOLO is low-price, the Steibel is probably better built, considering how-much more they ask for it. I have seen guys do the mount in the middle of the left 'V' of the engine, which should eliminate any heat concerns.

If you want a cheapo alternative, check-out the junkyard for a Volvo car horn, they usually have loud ones. As w/any electrical accessory, fusing immediately after the battery connection & using the correct gauge wire & a relay can greatly increase your sonic output & stop your potential issues of overheated wiring

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back