riding with passengers

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodman70

Reaction score
I am real close to working out a deal on a new vmax and my wife wants to know how comfortable(or not) it is when she is riding on the back? Leg position, tiring etc... thanks for any help you can give me.

I had the chance to buy, ending serial number 1952, my birth year. Mary couldn't even get on the back. No matter how hard we tried. Mary's not in bad shape either. She said I needed to trade her in on 3 x 22 YO's. It seems a little cramped to say the least for an "Ole" Lady. Definitely need a sissy bar to keep the passenger in place.

I ended up buying an FZ8 but it's gone now. Was a blast to ride but she couldn't get on it comfortably either.:sad2:

I had a passenger on the back of Max for a week with no major complaints - the sissy bar was a huge plus
but my old lowered Shadow 600 is still the all time favourite

I know a lot of guys have passengers on the back of their Vmaxes, but I sure wouldn't want to ride back there. Shala was never comfy on the back of my 85. She ended up getting herself an 09.

If you are talking about getting a new Gen II, Corbin makes a relocation kit for the passenger pegs that may prove to help. $300 mod. But I don't know anyone who has a kit installed, as to whether or not they actually help. I have read where some guys don't like how that kit makes their passengers' heels too close to the OEM exhaust pipe for their liking, but again, I know no one who has these installed. http://www.corbin.com/yamaha/yvmax9ppeg.shtml They lower the gen II pegs by about 4", and forward by nearly 8".

I think Honda makes a big bore bike with passenger comfort in mind from the get-go. If I remember correctly, they call it a GL1800 GW or something to that effect. And I think you can add a kitchen sink installed for a few more dollars. Guys on the GW forums seem to think they can keep up with all but the sportiest of sport bikes in the twisties with the newest GW's because they handle so well for a big bike. A guy going by "Yellow_Wolf" has lots of video posted up on youtube regarding his Tail of the Dragon expertise on one.

Last edited:
My wife has told me it isn't too bad. But we are both in our 20's though. I think with an after market passenger seat and a sissy bar it would be as comfortable as it gets unless you have a Goldwing.

I have a Morley-massaged Corbin with a back rest. The wife is good for about 2hrs and then she starts to get a bit uncomfortable. It's the high pegs more than the seat I think. Neither one of us are small or young either..............

Our reshaped rear seat is a must. Then the backrest as well. I have both available (seats are done to order).

I am real close to working out a deal on a new vmax .....

I thought it better than even odds woodman70 is inquiring about the Gen II seating arrangement as opposed to the Gen 1. I've been wrong a couple times before though. :ummm:

If he's inquiring about the Gen II:

I know Mother Yamaha makes an optional backrest for it (I have it installed on mine), but it is only about 3" high. Great for a buttpack, but nearly worthless for passenger comfort.

Mattness (this forum and on Star), I believe, made a few taller backrests for the Gen II and may still have some available for sale. http://www.starvmax.com/forum/12-ge...g-thanks-to-mattness-backrest-extender#193224

I think Exactrep makes one as well. http://exactrep.com/acatalog/V-Max_1700_Touring.html

Thanks for all the help everyone. She doesn't ride very often but we'll see how it goes and at least I know there are a few modifications that can be done to help. Tomorrow I should find out if the dealer and I can come to terms on the 2014 vmax. I'm pretty excited about it!

I have a corbrick on my 85 and my wife still loves to ride it. However she only ever does about an hour in the saddle before we stop somewhere for whatever reason. Normally she falls asleep and wakes up when her helmet hits mine :)

I make a backrest & rack setup for the 1st gen, click on my banner at the top of the page, Cycle-istiC. I would definitely not recommend taking a passenger without a backrest. I also make passenger peg relocators, but on the VMax, they would make the centerstand almost impossible to use because they put the left peg very close to the centerstand kick lever. However, they could be removed in a couple of minutes if you need to use the centerstand.

Mike, I am pretty sure you can get replacement pegs that drop the rear pegs a couple inches. I will have to look to see where I saw them though.
Stay tuned...
Here's one option: http://www.whaccessories.com/images/GSGFootPegLowerKit.jpg or this: http://www.whaccessories.com/images/GSGPegLowerAdjustments.jpg
Or this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Billet-Adju...Yamaha-Vmax-1700-09-13-10-11-12-/350986954576

Thanks Red. Of all the options available to the Gen I brought up on this site, I don't recall seeing these before. Will have to check them out. Wife's Bday coming up soon LOL....:th_party33:

If he's inquiring about the Gen II:
I know Mother Yamaha makes an optional backrest for it (I have it installed on mine), but it is only about 3" high. Great for a buttpack, but nearly worthless for passenger comfort.
Mattness (this forum and on Star), I believe, made a few taller backrests for the Gen II and may still have some available for sale. http://www.starvmax.com/forum/12-gen...xtender#193224
Yes I got one from Mattness its a must have for the passenger 10 minute install so you can take it off fast if you only want to use it when she rides..its a must have cause the first ride with out it she did more back and forth moving think it wore her out..lol.. but she loves the max now and says the seat is fine.

here is a pic with the factory backrest and then Mattness Extender added to it.. was the first thing I did when I got the gen2

Pics didn't load:bang head:

Attachments

• IMG_20131024_174548_301.jpg
    IMG_20131024_174548_301.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20131024_174611_280.jpg
    IMG_20131024_174611_280.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20131024_174746_185.jpg
    IMG_20131024_174746_185.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20131031_175323_060.jpg
    IMG_20131031_175323_060.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20131106_133532_398.jpg
    IMG_20131106_133532_398.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20131106_133601_215.jpg
    IMG_20131106_133601_215.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 25
I am very happy to announce that I have indeed traded in my two bikes and got the new 2014 vmax. I guess time will tell how the wife enjoys the ride and if I need to make any modifications. I won't be able to ride it for awhile due to the weather here in Nebraska. That sucks! But it looks great!

I am very happy to announce that I have indeed traded in my two bikes and got the new 2014 vmax. I guess time will tell how the wife enjoys the ride and if I need to make any modifications. I won't be able to ride it for awhile due to the weather here in Nebraska. That sucks! But it looks great!
Congrats on the new bike. Now post up some pics of it!!!

Back