Rolled the Ole Exploder Today

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hubeerjw

Reaction score
Well, I was a little over half way through my 2 hour commute this morning when the old Explorer hit some ice and went for a quick spin backwards into the ditch, then it got tired and wanted to lay on it's side for a while. I got a tow-truck there to wake her back up and got her set back on her wheels again. Bad news it will most likely be totaled. I purchased it new in Sept. of 2000 (it is a 2001 model) and I have just over 224,000 miles on her. Good news is, I had FULL COVERAGE... I have been wanted to call the insurance company the last few weeks and drop it, but I'm sure glad I didn't. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to buy it back, spend $50 for a new drivers side window, and have around $4000 in my pocket for a new car. First thing I did when I dropped it off at my cousins body shop was pull the plugs, crank it over (no oil ever came out), put the plugs back in and she fired right up! I love my Exploder! Needs a new front fender, driver-side mirror, driver-side door, and rear quarter, (and a dented rear door hatch)... those are all things I don't need repaired, so with any luck the EXPLODER will LIVE!!!! I'm fine, besides a bruised ego, and a few scratches from the glass.... Gotta love this Iowa weather!!!

That's sure a crappy way to start the day! :bang head:

Glad you didn't take on any personal damage Jeff!! :punk:

Friggin' ice!! :damn angry:

Glad your OK Jeff! I went about 50 feet in a unplanned power slide like maneuver at about 30 mph, luckily it was faily level. I was able to straighten it out, but it was a slow motion ballet, and I don't do ballet! Damn ice!

Good thing you dont need a helmet in the exploder

I've been thinking about turing it into a Mud Runner... throw some Nitrous at it and really turn it into an EXPLODER! I was doing just under 80 when I started to slide... it could have been much worse... I'm leaning toward my excellent driving skills, and a shit-load of luck!:punk:

Who knows, you may see me on youtube doing this to it one of these days...

I LOVE THIS VID!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGFASxRPM10&feature=related

Well Christ! Its a good thing the boy wasn't with you! Glad to hear that you are safe.

As much as people like to bash on Explorers, IME they've been nothing but great cars. I know some of the early 90's ones were crap, but once the gen II's came out and later they're fine. My neighbor has an 01 and is pushing 250k on it, used to commute regularly from Albany to NYC. I think the only problems have been a new starter and one of the coil packs started to die. For a quarter million miles, that's damn good. Otherwise just normal maintenance stuff.

It's nice to finally get a little cash back out of the insurance, espically when it goes straight into your pocket for Max upgrades and not medical bills.

I like how you said "it got tired and wanted to lay on it's side for a while"...for some reason that tickled me and got me all cracked up.

glad ur ok man. hopefully the insurance bit works out for ya!

Damn Jeff,

"Rectum damn near Killed em"

Glad to hear you are OK!

Sean

I've been in Jeffs Exploder and he IS proud of it. So am I... That's a crap ton of miles...

Glad you're alright Jeff. Hope your boy wasn't in the vehicle at the time.

Cheers,
Chris

My 96 suburban is close to 300k now and I could use a replacement. Jeff, all the airbags are still intact on it. You want to see if you can take care of this one for me?

Sean

im looking to upgrade to a bigger truck. could be a good side business for ya man :punk:, let me know when the next ice storm is hahaha.

all kidding aside, glad you got to walk away from that man

Glad your OK Jeff! I went about 50 feet in a unplanned power slide like maneuver at about 30 mph, luckily it was faily level. I was able to straighten it out, but it was a slow motion ballet, and I don't do ballet! Damn ice!

+1 on you making it through that scape in ok shape!

Blaine

Well, I was a little over half way through my 2 hour commute this morning when the old Explorer hit some ice and went for a quick spin backwards into the ditch, then it got tired and wanted to lay on it's side for a while. I got a tow-truck there to wake her back up and got her set back on her wheels again. Bad news it will most likely be totaled. I purchased it new in Sept. of 2000 (it is a 2001 model) and I have just over 224,000 miles on her. Good news is, I had FULL COVERAGE... I have been wanted to call the insurance company the last few weeks and drop it, but I'm sure glad I didn't. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to buy it back, spend $50 for a new drivers side window, and have around $4000 in my pocket for a new car. First thing I did when I dropped it off at my cousins body shop was pull the plugs, crank it over (no oil ever came out), put the plugs back in and she fired right up! I love my Exploder! Needs a new front fender, driver-side mirror, driver-side door, and rear quarter, (and a dented rear door hatch)... those are all things I don't need repaired, so with any luck the EXPLODER will LIVE!!!! I'm fine, besides a bruised ego, and a few scratches from the glass.... Gotta love this Iowa weather!!!

Stunned you didn't have to reset the fuelpump switch.

Latest posts

Back