Rubber boot U-Joint dust cover

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rand-5107

Reaction score
Ok here's how I finally got my new boot on, after destroying my new paint job again .Put the boot on your swing arm. Drain hole down. Put retaining spring around the front where it (rubber boot) goes over the middle gear carrier. Line up the joint of the spring half way between the top and bottom to the outside of the bike. Lube up the boot and groove and front of carrier with armor all or tire soap. Install swing arm and pins (adjuster bolts). While pulling on ear of boot, push the bead into groove. Work your way around it. I had to push fairly hard, but with the lube it popped right in. Okay back to touchup paint. Good luck Rand.

It's a real pain in the dick...

Some LOOOOONNNNNG skinny needle specialty needle nose come in really handy here, one straight and one angle tip...

the only easy way i've found to deal with it is to drop the exhaust.

Hadn't thought of what a pain this must be with the stock exhaust in place...I see now...With after market exhaust it's failry accessible but still a bit of a pain..

Maybe it's just me. I don't think they are difficult. That's why you have the pull tabs on it. And, I use a cotterpin removal tool (with a hook) occasionally.

Sean

A little off the subject but what could cause an oil leak out of the little hole at the bottom of the rubber boot? Is there some sort of seal in there that would mean removing the drive shaft? thanks for any help. Wood

Uh uh... You probably got a oil seal leak in there. I got a situation with a leak there and i found the middle gear output shaft top nut sheared off and was loose inside the boot. The U-joint just didn't come off because it was kept in place by the drive shaft. What caused the oil seal to leak was the fact that when the nut was wildly rumbling inside it hit the oil seal several times causing it to leak. I ended up replacing the full output assembly. Its kept in place by 3 M8 hex bolts.
It can also be a leak on the final drive unit and the gear oil is coming forward. It can be checked by looking at oil color. If its black and thin it engine oil, if its gear oil it will be thicker and cleaner (supposedly).

It can either be oil from the seal around that mid gear or it can be fluid running down the swingarm from the diff leaking past the driveshaft seal.

A little off the subject but what could cause an oil leak out of the little hole at the bottom of the rubber boot? Is there some sort of seal in there that would mean removing the drive shaft? thanks for any help. Wood

Could be leaking oil out of the back of the motor. There is an o-ring around the bearing carrier that could be bad, or it could be the oil seal around the output shaft that fits into the carrier.

Its also possible that the differential is leaking and the diff oil is finding its way up the singarm and up to the boot.

EDIT: Didn't notice there was a 2nd page to the thread and missed the fact that there are already 2 responses to this question. Oops.

Thank you all for your replies. I will try to determine what kind of oil it is before going further. 10,000 miles seems a little soon for this problem. My '85 never had anything like this at 45,000 miles. Wood

Back