Russell clutch line questions...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j2dawson

Reaction score
I replaced my front brake lines with Russells and also bought a Russell clutch line. It looks to me like there is no way in hell it will work. It is several inches too short to go directly to the slave cylinder and there is no way it will hook to the hard line. has anyone used one of these successfully? If so, how did you route it so it looks ok and still works?

Thanks,
Jim

Can't help on the Russell lines. We've had customer bikes with them on so not sure if you have the routing correct or an incorrectly made line? Should be able to call Russell to verify the spec (length).

Sean

I have one of the older Russlle clutch lines & it hooked right up to the hard line. I am not sure about the new ones Parts Unlimited cancelled them out of there book so I am not sure. I sell a good many of there brake lines & they work great.

I'll give Russell a call today. The line is way too short to route the same as the stock one and has a standard banjo fitting on both ends so it won't connect to the hard line. The only way I can see to make it work is to route it across outside of the engine but that would look like crap. If it was a few inches longer it could be routed correctly and hooked directly to the slave cylinder.

Oh well, the stock one works ok, I just wanted it to match the brake line.

I'll give Russell a call today. The line is way too short to route the same as the stock one and has a standard banjo fitting on both ends so it won't connect to the hard line. The only way I can see to make it work is to route it across outside of the engine but that would look like crap. If it was a few inches longer it could be routed correctly and hooked directly to the slave cylinder.

Oh well, the stock one works ok, I just wanted it to match the brake line.

I never really noticed a change in lever feel between stock and my braided line.

Chris

Well, I called Russell (now Edlebrock) and they offered two options, return it to the dealer for a refund or return it to Russell and they will make me one the correct length. I guess I'll get the correct length and just go straight to the slave cylinder but routed correctly.

Going straight to the slave sucks. You want the female fitting - trust me.

Sean

Going straight to the slave sucks. You want the female fitting - trust me.

Sean
Well, crap, I thought I had this figured out. I don't think they would even know what I need and neither do I.

I'm new to the Vmax and am working my way through this bike. What is the problem with going to the slave? It looks like a standard banjo fitting just like the master cylinder end. I'm sure not arguing, I just have no idea what you mean.

Thanks,
Jim

Well, crap, I thought I had this figured out. I don't think they would even know what I need and neither do I.

I'm new to the Vmax and am working my way through this bike. What is the problem with going to the slave? It looks like a standard banjo fitting just like the master cylinder end. I'm sure not arguing, I just have no idea what you mean.

Thanks,
Jim
Maybe they can go back in there archives & look. The Russlle I have hooks up just like the galfer.

Maybe they can go back in there archives & look. The Russlle I have hooks up just like the galfer.
I'll try to call them again tomorow and see what they say. I have no idea what kind of fitting to tell them I need or how long to make the line. I have no idea what this one I have is really for, but it says '85-'98 Vmax on the package. It's 48" long and has banjo fittings on each end.

I went to Galfer's web site and could find nothing about clutch lines or anything for the Vmax.

May be a little late but I had Spiegler lines on my old max. Adjustable banjo's and many different colors.

ALL the brands make good lines. We sell the Galfers 99% of the time but also have HEL's available. We can also get Goodridge and a few other "Universal" brands.

Sean

Back