Sad news

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adambweird

Reaction score
An old friend of mine o.d.ed on heroin yesterday after 8 months of sobriety... hes in pretty bad shape but is moving in a right enough direction to where the drs say hes got 50/50 chances now. I just got back from going to see him and his family. Its a terrible thing to see and experience to say the least... Worst thing about it was he was pulling his life back together... had a job again, was about to get an apartment again, started getting his real friends that his partying ways had alienated him from for so long because weve all moved on from the madness of our early 20's, back into his life, was getting ready for the coming birth of his daughter... really trying for once in his life... til an ill fated text came to him asking if he wanted to go to toledo... one that he couldnt just say no to for whatever reason and now it might cost him his life.

Please, say a prayer for my friend Dustins family to help them through this, God knows they need all the help they can get right now... and please pray for my friend to have some kind of amazing, spectacular, life altering epiphinay while hes hopfully fighting his way back from the brink. I know it may be a bit much for some to pray for what we thought was a recovered junkie, but if it helps him come back and do something amazing with his life... even if that just means staying clean and sober and being a good father to his daughter. Thanks in advance.

An old friend of mine o.d.ed on heroin yesterday after 8 months of sobriety... hes in pretty bad shape but is moving in a right enough direction to where the drs say hes got 50/50 chances now. I just got back from going to see him and his family. Its a terrible thing to see and experience to say the least... Worst thing about it was he was pulling his life back together... had a job again, was about to get an apartment again, started getting his real friends that his partying ways had alienated him from for so long because weve all moved on from the madness of our early 20's, back into his life, was getting ready for the coming birth of his daughter... really trying for once in his life... til an ill fated text came to him asking if he wanted to go to toledo... one that he couldnt just say no to for whatever reason and now it might cost him his life.

Please, say a prayer for my friend Dustins family to help them through this, God knows they need all the help they can get right now... and please pray for my friend to have some kind of amazing, spectacular, life altering epiphinay while hes hopfully fighting his way back from the brink. I know it may be a bit much for some to pray for what we thought was a recovered junkie, but if it helps him come back and do something amazing with his life... even if that just means staying clean and sober and being a good father to his daughter. Thanks in advance.

Aw shit....that's terrible news, made even worse this time of year. I hope you friend can claw his way back, it's difficult. Prayers and good thoughts for him, his friends and family....I'm sure your visit meant a lot to them and very difficult for you. :eusa_pray:

Thanks Danny. Its a nightmare to say the least!!!! The docs say he can hear things and I kinda believe it. He has a nasty habbit of breaking funiture (big guy that flops, lol) and before i left the room i told him id buy him some chairs to break if he makes it through this, lol. What i didnt see but his mom did was the tear that ran down his cheek after i said that to him. Hopefully thats the icing on the cake to keep him fighting, lol.

Thanks for the support and prayers guys, it means a lot to me. This being the season for hope and miricales ( i cant spell for s**t, lol) i pray his family and those that truly care about him will get one.

That's sad news to here. Good that he has friends like you to help him through this.

So very sorry.I have still got friends with drinking problems,Not in our 20s anymore.Best of luck.

Update, they stoped the drug thats keeping him paralyzed, itll be out of his system sometime tomorrow morning so they can start seeing what kind of damaged has been done to his brain. Any movement they do to him sends his blood pressure crazy at the moment. Once thats stabilized theyll be able to give him an ekg and hopefully an mri to see how bad things are. The fluid in his lungs has gone down significantly as well so theres no longer an immediate danger of him drowning. Outwardly hes heading in the right direction and theyre saying hes about 51/49. Hard to give him better than that until they know the full extent of things.

That's sad news to here. Good that he has friends like you to help him through this.

Agreed. Only the truest friends will stick with a person who is down on their luck, caused by addiction or otherwise. Hopefully your friend will make a complete recovery, but if the worst happens, take pride in the fact that you did all you could for him, try not to think of any guilt on your part.
That was the road I went down awhile back, following the suicide of a good friend of mine. Gradually I convinced myself that I was solely responsible, due to not recognizing the signs, and not giving the correct advice. Professional Talk Therapy was required to bring me out of this funk. The advice that hit home the hardest, although sounding cold and clinical, is that we all have a certain amount of control over the lives we lead, and have to take responsibility for our actions, when we fail to help ourselves.
take care

My best wishes to your friend. Sad to hear about the relapse.

Update... the ekg came back showing everything normal. Now were just waiting for him to wake up to fully access the what damage may have been done to his brain. Theyve lowered the dosage of narcotic hes recieving with no ill effects. Hes starting to over breathe the ventilator, but they dont want to tax him by letting him breath on his own for any long than is necessary at the moment. If he dosent wake up before fri theyre going to trach and feeding tube him to prep for the long haul and to make things easier for when he wakes plus eliminate the possibility of choking on his own tongue. While i was there he moved twice, once from the waist up like he was pulling against the wraps on his wrists and just his left arm while i was holding his hand and saying a prayer for him. Things are looking fairly hopeful at the moment. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers and keep more coming!

Update: My buddy was trached and feeding tubed on thurs as a precation. On Sat he opened up his eyes for the first time in 9 days. He answered yes and no questions with blinks and clearly knows whats going on, where hes at and knows who the people around him are. The bad thing is that at the moment, when people are in the room,his vitals go wonky. They say his brain has to readjust to things after the ordeal its been through. For the moment hes only allowed limited med staff and no visitors til him brain calms down and keeps his vitals normal. Hopefully the ban will only take a week, but it may take longer. Once hes stable again theyre gonna give him an mri to see what kind of damage might have happened to his brain. Im hoping its minimal and that whatever part controls addiction got screwed up just enough for him to be able to finally live a clean and 1-2 drink a day life. That might be asking for a bit much, but give the fact that hes even still alive, it might not be to much to hope for yet another miracle. I pray with all i have that this will be a MAJOR turning point in his life.

Back