Seat choices

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent $200 on a used Corbin...best money I spent on my Max...my butt thanks me after every ride :)

I got a reworked seat from Seat. While it didn't turn the bike into a Goldwing it did noticeably increase the mileage until numb butt syndrome set in....from maybe 45 min on the stock seat to several hours at least. The other bonus was that it was lower than the stock seat, nice since I'm only 5-8 and couldn't flatfoot the bike on the stocker.

Plus the carbon-esque material with red stitching looks really trick also.

A good seat can really increase the enjoyment you get from riding. Rather than squirm and shift around, stand on the pegs, and stop to "walk it off" every 30 minutes, you can just enjoy the ride comfortably.

I've heard several stories about l-o-n-g lead times on Sportmax seats, we're talking several months or more. I wouldn't deal with UFO in any situation. The Corbin doesn't look that great and you have to pull the seat off to refuel.

Both Sean and Rick (maxgasser) will let you try-before-buy as well.

Upholstery is one of those things that seems really simple but to really get a pro looking result you need to know what you're doing. By all means give it a go, but if it's something you're not familiar with don't be shocked if it doesn't come out perfect.

when i bought my bike it came with a sportmax seat and it was ok i guess but after a while it like most seats my ass became very numb i think spending money on a seart is a very good investment if it is done rite, i had mine cut down then had a gel pad inserted into the cutout, man that's the shiznet rite there my ass don't get numgb anymore and i din't have the back pains i had before, and i have been through back surgery. gell pads do you wont regret it I.M.H.O.

I will vouch for Rick (Maxgasser ) even though I did not directly buy my seat from him . He answered my queries promptly and went out of his way to help :thumbup:

Tapatalk 2

I have tried three different seats on two if my maxes. Mid-cut Muscle seat, Old style corbin, and a UFO Starfighter. I have put many miles on each and the Muscle seat wins hands-down. I can ride for hours with absolutely no issues. The material and construction are excellent and there are many, many options to customize it. the UFO in a distant second place was ok in the comfort department, but the material was kind of cheapy, knock-off looking stuff. Supposed to look like carbon fiber material, and it did if you looked at it up close. If you were standing 5 feet away, it looked more like tool box drawer liner or non slip dash mat for your car. Coming in last was the old style Corbin. The seating position was a bit high for me, fueling was a real bitch, and I found it entirely too hard. I couldn't ride for more than 30 min before begging for mercy. On the other hand, the material and craftsmanship were outstanding and my wife really liked the passenger back rest.

I do also want to add that i bought one of the MAXGASSER seats that i put on when i'am riding two up and My wife LOVES the MaXGASSER we have been riding motorcycles for over 30 yrs. and she says that it's the most comfortable seat she has ever putt her ass on, we can ride all day, without any bitching at all (about the comfort of the seat anyway) so if you want fomfort for you and the wife i highly recomend the MAXGASSER.

Everyone will have their opinions...trial and error my be the only way you find a seat that fits you! I've had three seats...1) a cut-down that looked cool, handled great, but cracked my arse...2) a 2005 stock seat that looked ok, but was only slightly more comfy than the cut-down (basically not comfy at all)...3) my current (older) corbin, looks fine to me and (contrary to other's opinions) is very comfy. Fueling is a pain if you bolt down the seat...all 3 were never bolted down as none were great at refilling...takes 2 seconds to pop the seat (any seat) and get a full tank of fuel then pop back on. Best thing you could do is find a Maxer with the seat you want and give a good test drive...

Or contact Rick for a MAXGASSER TRIAL,

Byron and txmax, thank you ! 15 years on a max with every seat conceivable is part of what drove me to spend six months designing the MAXGASSER and while its not perfect for everyone it has worked for most......... And you can't beat it for fueling !

My personal experiance is from the stock seat that had upholstery issues (resolved at the time with duct tape) and more importantly major comfort issues for me. I contacted Sean and we worked through what my options were using his recomendations on what worked for a rider my size (6' 270lbs). The seat arrived and from the first time I sat on it the comfort was sooo much better and the workmanship was superb. I rode the seat for almost 2 seasons until I found that after 300 miles my tailbone area was uncomfortable after 50+ miles after a fillup. I mentioned this to Sean and also that I liked the FJR flat seat area around the tailbone area. Sean was doing some other work on Redbone at the time so he said to send the seat in and he would look at it. A month or so later the seat arrived back with a flat seat profile but otherwise unchanged. One thing to note here is that Sean didn't charge me for this service, he wanted to make sure the seat was what I wanted AND needed. AAA+++ service from Sean, as usual!
It wasn't until a couple of months later on a 1200 mile trip in 3 days that I relaized how much more comfortable the reshaped Muscle seat was. Gone was the tailbone issues and at the gas stops I didn't feel as sore for being in the same position for most of the day. The seat is still going strong/looking great after 4+ years/28,000 miles!

'07Picture 057.jpg '08IMG_2769.jpg '10IMG_1255.jpg '12IMG_1778.jpg

Last edited:
I created a new seat for my 2005. Cannot find the thread but I called it the vmax ss seat. A little higher, a little longer, a little wider. Had a lot of pictures.

Now that I have been riding it for some months now, I can say I am really happy with it. My butt never gets numb or hurts.

Wish I could find my thread. It was quite a job. It went against all current thinking about vmax seats.

I guess I am one of the lucky ones. Like Steve O said I have an 06 and my seat doesn't bother me at all. If it ever does I would not get a Corbin. It would be between maxgasser and Sean's seat. It would be a hard decision and I would ask to take advantage of their trials.
I am 6'0 240 pounds but my wife said I don't have an ass. Maybe that's why my seat is just fine for me. Just my 2cents

Its not well known. but the true 1st gen Corbin seat used the original V-Max 3 piece seat pan. They apparently only made this seat for a few years, and it was early (85-86), but I haven't been able to confirm any details on the seat or production years / numbers. I know that this is the only one I have seen, and it's wonderous. 500 mile days with no problem. Super comfy, looks great and the wife is a huge fan of the back seat. If anyone comes across one of these BUY IT!

2011-08-14_14-18-27_820.jpg

2011-08-14_14-19-03_406.jpg

2011-08-14_14-19-15_351.jpg

That old style Corbin sure looks nice!

I had an older 1-piece Corbin on my '86 when I bought it. I liked it, but it'd been cut down to minimum as the PO was a short arse, and it was too thin and uncomfortable for me. It was great for pillion though, I had no probs with fuelling as it had an extension on the tank with the fuel cap almost level with the seat, and it looked just great with the FatMax hard bags.

Then I swapped it for a 'Muscle Corbin' from Sean, which was the same shape with fuel flap but much better comfortwise as it had more padding. It also looked good, but to my eyes not as good as the old corbin with its pitted look vinyl.

Now on my 2000, I have gone with the Muscle seat from Sean in 3 pieces, with the pillion pad done too. It is simply awesome. I think it's the best looking seat by a mile, and it's super comfy although I have not been on long rides yet.

Attachments

• P1030435.jpg
    P1030435.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 28
  • P1080529.jpg
    P1080529.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 29
  • P1130577.jpg
    P1130577.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 30
Its not well known. but the true 1st gen Corbin seat used the original V-Max 3 piece seat pan. They apparently only made this seat for a few years, and it was early (85-86), but I haven't been able to confirm any details on the seat or production years / numbers. I know that this is the only one I have seen, and it's wonderous. 500 mile days with no problem. Super comfy, looks great and the wife is a huge fan of the back seat. If anyone comes across one of these BUY IT!

View attachment 32505

View attachment 32506

View attachment 32507

Can't believe I never heard of this seat before. I have been around V-Maxes since the beginning and have had Corbin seats since the late 80's. Must have been too expensive to build...

For all of you that say you can't fuel with the Corbin, keep in mind the latest version with the plug is easier to fuel than the stock seat and can be fueled even with a tail bag on the passenger seat.

View attachment 32505

View attachment 32506

View attachment 32507

First time I've seen this style Corbin seat. Very nice indeed, looks very comfy for both rider and passenger.

Mike

For all of you that say you can't fuel with the Corbin, keep in mind the latest version with the plug is easier to fuel than the stock seat and can be fueled even with a tail bag on the passenger seat.

Also keep in mind that with either version of the Corbin there's this easy mod that makes fueling a cinch - check out the piccies! :clapping:

Attachments

• P1080735.jpg
    P1080735.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 36
  • P1080744.jpg
    P1080744.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 33
Back