Shell Rotella Questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m-cman

Alien Abductee
Reaction score
OK, I have been considering going over to Shell Rotella oil based on comments on this forum. I thought there were two versions, synthetic and regular (dino). I went to their website and found the following 5 versions:

T1 (Straight Grade) - T3 (Professional Value) - T5 (Synthetic Blend) - T6 (Full Synthetic) and T (Triple Protection).

Which of these corresponds with the synthetic and regular oils used by members of this forum? I was told that one or more of these oils are not compatible with motorcycles. I know about the "Energy Conserving" label indicating friction modifiers that are not good for wet clutch applications but supposedly one or more of these can be damaging to bikes.

On one thread here someone said using the normal dino oil helped their bike shift better that anything else he used. Some of my friends use the synthetic (says "Rotella T" 5W40 on the bottle) and one used the regular. Believe it is 10W40.

It looks like they have relabeled their line and maybe also reformulated. I'm guessing the new "T6" corresponds with the old "T" but which is the old dino? And is it still the same formulation?

I've been using T6 for three years now. I see both the T and T6 in the store when I purchase my oil.

The new Rotella T is 15W40 and is not synthetic. The old bottle I just looked at is Rotella T synthetic 5W40 so they at least changed the name / formulation of that one. Which one is the original dino oil?

Looks like the Rotella line has gotten more popular so Shell is adding to and changing their line to take advantage. Took a simple situation (one dino and one synthetic) and complicated it (5 different oils).

Believe the original is Rotella T 15W40...I've been using it for years and it does seem to help with shifting and finding neutral.

Tractor Supply seems to be the best place to get it around here.

I always used Rotella-T when I lived in the US. Worked flawlessly.

Here down under, we have no Rotella. I still use Shell, but it's a version of Helix oil.

OK, I have been considering going over to Shell Rotella oil based on comments on this forum. I thought there were two versions, synthetic and regular (dino). I went to their website and found the following 5 versions:

T1 (Straight Grade) - T3 (Professional Value) - T5 (Synthetic Blend) - T6 (Full Synthetic) and T (Triple Protection).

Which of these corresponds with the synthetic and regular oils used by members of this forum? I was told that one or more of these oils are not compatible with motorcycles. I know about the "Energy Conserving" label indicating friction modifiers that are not good for wet clutch applications but supposedly one or more of these can be damaging to bikes.

On one thread here someone said using the normal dino oil helped their bike shift better that anything else he used. Some of my friends use the synthetic (says "Rotella T" 5W40 on the bottle) and one used the regular. Believe it is 10W40.

It looks like they have relabeled their line and maybe also reformulated. I'm guessing the new "T6" corresponds with the old "T" but which is the old dino? And is it still the same formulation?

I started using Rotella 15w-40 dine oil years ago, because it was free then. I found it to be a very slippery/ great lubrication oil. Lot's of zinc and anti-shear additives. Finding neutral and shifting is a breeze still, with 46k on my engine. It's gotten popular. I use it in everything now. The marina where I worked used Rotella 15w-40 in all gas engines and many diesels. Wall-Mart puts it on sale for $12 a gallon now and then. It's $17+ at Auto Zone. Every 2k, new oil and a Boch 3323 filter. I have no desire to use anything different.
Steve

I use the "T" Triple Protection in both my new VMax, and for a few years in my KLR 650. I have always heard good things, and love the cheap price at walmart.

Never wanted to spend the extra for the synthetic, so don't have an opinion.

I've been tempted to switch my truck over to it as well, just because of price (I currently still do Mobil 1 full synthetic)... I discovered I can use the same oil filter on both the VMax and my truck, so figure simplifying things would be good :)

I've always used the Shell Rotella 15W-40 with great results on my old Suzuki RF900; my Max is due for an oil change soon and I will use Rotella 15W-40 on it as well.

I use Rotella T in the Gen 1 VMax's and T6 in my FZ8. Zero complaints from me or the bikes.
It's Great Stuff.:clapping::clapping::clapping:

i believe T is the stuff most guys use and T6 is the stuff guys use when they want syn.

Thanks guys. So it seems the Rotella T Triple Protection is the non synthetic to go with and the T6 is the synthetic. I have been using Mobile 1 15W50 for some time but it sure is expensive! When the Mobile 1 is used up, will go to the Rotella.

What about the T6 synthetic for my truck? (Has a standard V6). It is cheaper than the Mobile 1 10W30 I have been using.

Isn't there a shell diesel that's considered one step more refined or better??

All Rotella are diesel oils but ok for gas engines and have some benefits, especially for wet clutches. (Additives).

All Rotella are diesel oils but ok for gas engines and have some benefits, especially for wet clutches. (Additives).

Thanks for clarifying. I have always been weary of something that is suppose to work so good, but cost a lot less than what I've been paying. Most of the time, you get what you pay for. But we have wet clutches and each bike is different. So, I'm going to give it a try. At my local bike stop, I hear 4 out of 5 guys swear by Shell Rotella as giving their Harley over 100K miles. I always bite my tougue. But then, I got to thinking. If by chance, these guys are really telling the truth, and they are using Rotella and they are really getting 100K out of their Hardley, then, imagine what our relatively precision machines will do in the long run?!!

Updates to be posted because I'm going to do 10K miles over then 3 months.

Jack

Just be aware when your switching from a synthetic to give the new oil a chance to push all the syn out. It may take a couple changes before you can really judge/ feel how it's going to work.
I've used the 15w40 for the last 5 seasons and it works great for me.
The standard on the bottle you're looking for is JASO (Japanese Automotive Standards Organization)

You get $5.00 bucks back using shell rotela oil, I use rotella T15w 40 in my vmax I just started use this 1 before I went out of town put about 650 miles on the oil I think my bike like this better T6 - 5w-40 blue container

advance auto have them on sale... $13.99 T 15w 40 / $23.99 T6 5w 40

It ends in September 30's

here's the review that help me move up T6 5w 40

18 of 37 customers found this review helpful)
Excellent for my wet-clutch motorcycle
By DrAlloway
from Washington, DC
Follow me
Verified Buyer
Level 2
PROS
Reduces Wear
CONS
BEST USES
Comments about Shell Rotella® T6 5W-40:
Motorcycles with wet-clutches can NOT use oil with friction reducers (like molleys). This oil has worked great in my Suzuki for over 50,000 miles. It lasts longer than regular before breaking down.

Plus being 5w it keeps my engine lubed earlier and longer than heavier oils. Critical because the worst wear is the first couple seconds before the oil gets completely distributed inside the engine.

Plus, not least, it is significantly cheaper than oils "made" for motorcycles - really just packaged for motorcycles.
BOTTOM LINE Yes, I would recommend this to a friend

Attachments

• vmax shell oil.jpeg
    vmax shell oil.jpeg
    75.8 KB · Views: 17
This topic has me curious. I've been running golden spectro 10w-40 in my max for about 12 years with great results. It is getting more expensive to buy now. I think I'd give the rotella a shot if they have a 10w-40 weight. I use the rotella SAE 30 in all my power equipment with no problems for years

rotella T is usually sub $12 a gallon at walmart esp if you buy the 2.5 gallon jug.

I do remember reading elsewhere that the main difference between motorcycle oil and regular oil is the "shearing" effect that motorcycle engines have on oil; diesel engines, because of their high compression have the same effect on the oil as well....I'll try to find the link and post it when I find it....

Back