Shinko Tire Information

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Shinko 170/80 15 Info needed..

I don't know about best mileage but my latest have done pretty good. Pretty close to 10,000.

Mark,You have to twist that thing open on the right side once in awhile. HF!I have never gone over 3000 miles with a new rear tire in 8 years!

Oh, I do! I just don't whack it since it spins the tire....that gets boring. Dunlops were pretty good could lift the wheel in 2nd fairly easy. Tires lasted a year so got tired of paying $150 each year. Dunlops sucked in corners though.

Oh, I do! I just don't whack it since it spins the tire....that gets boring. Dunlops were pretty good could lift the wheel in 2nd fairly easy. Tires lasted a year so got tired of paying $150 each year. Dunlops sucked in corners though.

Yah,Time to do the radial thing!

My first Dunlop rear went 8K but it was pretty bad. The front's tread depth isn't looking bad but the f'ing sidewalls are cracked and it's wearing strangely. I'm very meticulous about air pressure so I know that wasn't the issue. The side wall thing is BS though. It was just put on last summer!

I had to put a new Dunlop rear on in Feb/Mar. I only have about 4K on this one and it's nearly fried too. It's not from burnouts; I've still yet to try one. F'ing tires don't last long enough as it is. The only thing I can figure is during the hard accel's it's grinding it down a little at a time. I think one of the Sean's made mention of that some time back in another post maybe?

The Shinkos just shipped from OR yesterday so hopefully I'll be getting them put on this weekend. It'll be interesting to see how differently they handle. I really didn't have complaints with my Dunlops. I've worn them from edge to edge and never had a problem.

However that being said, I've not been on anything other than the Qualifiers so I just may not know any better. Oh, and radials aren't in the budget right now. I know that's a lot of my problem.

Yes, you'd be surprised what full throttle does even when it doesn't feel like it's slipping. If the track will let us we need to get some video and pics from the tower as well as side on stuff. From the tower you can watch as the tires paint a line as it goes down the track.

The metz 880 in the 15 seemed to wear well but I can't get a lot of life out of the 17". I need to gage it from new and see how long it really lasts. Most of the time I struggle to get 1000 miles on any rear tire but that's mostly riding habits.

Sean

(Damn it. Hey Kloker sorry about that. I just remembered that you spell yours 'Shawn'. My bad.)

So hey Sean, is that 1000 miles on the track or the street? If it's street-wear, holy shit man!

Yea, but I don't ride "normal" either. Actually, I will probably get more miles on my tires then normal this year. I've been riding to work lately which I hardly ever do. This $4 a gallon B.S. is for the birds!

Sean

Whats your opinion of the Shinko Tour Master tire now that you have it on

I like it so far. I don't have more than a couple hundred miles on it but it rides nicer than the Bridgestones I had on and I can get up to a little over 115 mph before the shakes start. That's about 5 mph more than before. It doesn't wallow quite as much in the sweepers either.

It's a good looking tire, too. Looks fairly big from the back. Big enough that I might hold off going to an 18" rim for a while even though I am putting a notched and braced swingarm on soon.

I like it enough that I already bought the matching front even though I don't need it for a thousand or so miles. I screwed up though, I was surprised at how much clearance I had with the stock swingarm and the 170 rear so when I ordered the front I went with a 120 instead of the 110 thinking that the tire design of the Tourmasters ran a little narrow. Yeah, right. The 120 front looks huge, I'm not sure it will fit.

......I screwed up though, I was surprised at how much clearance I had with the stock swingarm and the 170 rear so when I ordered the front I went with a 120 instead of the 110 thinking that the tire design of the Tourmasters ran a little narrow. Yeah, right. The 120 front looks huge, I'm not sure it will fit.

My 170 rear and 120 front are on their way to Indy. Once I get them installed I'll let you know what to expect. VeeAte's running a 120 up front and I'm all but positive there were no clearance issues with the fork tubes. The thing we may have to do is raise the fender maybe a gnat's ass. (Thank you again VeeAte for the heads-up on that.)

Like I said though, I'll give you the low-down once I get them on there. I'll include some pics as well.

My 170 rear and 120 front are on their way to Indy. Once I get them installed I'll let you know what to expect. VeeAte's running a 120 up front and I'm all but positive there were no clearance issues with the fork tubes. The thing we may have to do is raise the fender maybe a gnat's ass. (Thank you again VeeAte for the heads-up on that.)

Like I said though, I'll give you the low-down once I get them on there. I'll include some pics as well.

I'll be watching for your results. I wonder if any of the aftermarket fork braces raise the fender at all. Otherwise we'll have to shim the fork brace to raise the fender. I don't know how I feel about doing that.

I'll be watching for your results. I wonder if any of the aftermarket fork braces raise the fender at all. Otherwise we'll have to shim the fork brace to raise the fender. I don't know how I feel about doing that.

Finally got the Shinkos on this morning... the 120 up front fits perfectly Bro. About 1/4" of clearance from the fender. I need to get it cleaned up then I'll post up some pics.

Finally got the Shinkos on this morning... the 120 up front fits perfectly Bro. About 1/4" of clearance from the fender. I need to get it cleaned up then I'll post up some pics.

Man, that's a relief. I still have a few miles on the old front tire untill I try the 120 but it sure looks huge sitting on the floor.

Let me know if you feel any difference in the handling. The 170 Shinko on the rear gave me a few mph on the top end before the shakes kick in. I can hit about 115 now before I have to back off the throttle.

Here are the pics I promised. I didn't clean it up yet but that may not happen for a few days.

Handling... so far it's not all that unlike the Dunlops. That being said, I still have about (50) more miles to go before I've worn the mold release agent off. I'll get with you either tomorrow or Tuesday with corner handling and high-speed feedback.

Attachments

• 100_1815.jpg
    100_1815.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 100_1817.jpg
    100_1817.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 150
  • 100_1823.jpg
    100_1823.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 100_1819.jpg
    100_1819.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 149
  • 100_1820.jpg
    100_1820.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 148

Okay Dezeez... Now that they're worked in I can tell you they don't do too badly.

I was afraid there may be some 'balloon effect' but the stability in turns and changing lanes is no worse than the stock Qualifiers; dare I say a bit more stable in fact. F'ing popo's been at it pretty hard around here lately so I've not yet done much over 95 mph. Handling in what the DOT calls 25 mph turns is done at 65 mph without issue. I believe there's noticably less wobble.

I may take a different way home tonight so I can hit a couple of sweepers. They're flat and easily handled at 105 mph but the Dunlops definitely wobbled on me through them. I'll let you know what happens when I roll through there next time.

One thing that will be interesting to find out is whether or not I'll be able to wear these from edge to edge as I've been able to do on the narrower Dunlops. These Shinkos have more tread up the side wall so me thinketh I may not have the balls to get all the way out there. :)

Okay Dezeez... Now that they're worked in I can tell you they don't do too badly.

I was afraid there may be some 'balloon effect' but the stability in turns and changing lanes is no worse than the stock Qualifiers; dare I say a bit more stable in fact. F'ing popo's been at it pretty hard around here lately so I've not yet done much over 95 mph. Handling in what the DOT calls 25 mph turns is done at 65 mph without issue. I believe there's noticably less wobble.

I may take a different way home tonight so I can hit a couple of sweepers. They're flat and easily handled at 105 mph but the Dunlops definitely wobbled on me through them. I'll let you know what happens when I roll through there next time.

One thing that will be interesting to find out is whether or not I'll be able to wear these from edge to edge as I've been able to do on the narrower Dunlops. These Shinkos have more tread up the side wall so me thinketh I may not have the balls to get all the way out there. :)

Have you tried any hard acceleration with these new tires on? :ummm:
Yes they have a lot tread also on the side, which is great for in turns but when the tire life comes to a near you will see that the sides still have tread on them..
I can tell you that these tires are smooth 160,170+ I have been to them speeds on the Shinko

Yeah, the Shinko on the back of mine has a really round profile. My old fat butt won't be wearing off the edges, I can tell you that.

I wanted to ask, did you put a 120/90 or a 120/80 on the front? I checked your pictures out and it looks like you have about the same clearance as my stock Bridgestone.

Yeah, the Shinko on the back of mine has a really round profile. My old fat butt won't be wearing off the edges, I can tell you that.

I wanted to ask, did you put a 120/90 or a 120/80 on the front? I checked your pictures out and it looks like you have about the same clearance as my stock Bridgestone.

It's a 120/90. I definitely like the look of this one over my 110/90.

I wound it up a little in that high-speed section I was telling you about. I went through just over 100 and it was 'steady as she goes'.

I'm going to like these tires. :biglaugh:

Have you tried any hard acceleration with these new tires on? :ummm:
Yes they have a lot tread also on the side, which is great for in turns but when the tire life comes to a near you will see that the sides still have tread on them..
I can tell you that these tires are smooth 160,170+ I have been to them speeds on the Shinko

Sure have and it's gold. For having stock wheels, I can't say enough good things about these tires.

You remind me a couple of questions. First... These are rated up to 149 mph. What happens if you exceed that rating? Do they just start coming apart at some point? Obviously you've not had that problem but I just wondered what risks would be involved.

Second... I think I've read posts where you talk about your bike having wobbles like many of us do. Do you just drive through it? I'm wondering if at some point it'll settle itself down or not. Mine starts dancing around 125.

(For the record, I have serious doubts that mine will ever see speeds over 150. It's stock and will likely remain that way.)

I'm looking at buying a set of Shinkos too. I think I'll go stock size on the rear - pretty good price here:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/395/6188/ITEM/Shinko-230-Tour-Master-Rear-Tire.aspx

For the front though, the 110 is apparently only available as 19". Should I go with 100/90 V18 or 120/90 V18?

Check this out - not a bad price for both considering it's also free shipping :)

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...87&DivisionGroup=1&Division=28&Department=395

Ive been trying to tell you guys this now for the past 4 months. They are awesome tires and the good thing they are so much cheaper than the Metzlers and to be honest I like em better than the Metzlers.
Speed rating is test performed on a tire to a speed and an amount of time before it starts to come apart. No worries there I can promise you either one of 2 things will happen before you reach that time, One you will be out of gas or 2 you will have to stop to change your underware. :rofl_200:

Try to spin a Shinko when your doing 20MPH you will wind up with the front wheel at a 11 Oclock postion, never had a Metzler ME880 stick like it.

Back