Shinko Tire Information

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Shinko 170/80 15 Info needed..

Second... I think I've read posts where you talk about your bike having wobbles like many of us do. Do you just drive through it? I'm wondering if at some point it'll settle itself down or not. Mine starts dancing around 125.

When I first bought my VMAX it used to drift and an occasional high speed wobble at speeds of 135+. This was due to stearing head wasnt torqued properly.
I havent had any high speed wobbles straight running. I have had some wobbles due to riding into turns to high of a speed (may have been from my swingarm)
With my front end unstrapped, at speeds starting at 135+ its not as stable which could be fork flex I dont know. :ummm:

When I get lane drifting I will back out of it slowly and try getting back in the gas. In all honesty I think the drifting comes from the front end sitting up high and the wind pressure getting under the bike more.
High Speed Wobble, I will take my distribute my body weight differently and whack the gas trying to decrease the weight on the front.

Wobbles in the turn I just get a death grip on the handlebars and clinch my knees as tight as I can against the scoops and tighten every muscle in my body. Than look for the nearest bar to get a beer and thank god I made it through another one.

(For the record, I have serious doubts that mine will ever see speeds over 150. It's stock and will likely remain that way.)[/quote]

A stock VMAX will show 160 on the speedo which in reality is about 155MPH. Takes a while. If you are stable at 140 than it will be stable all the way up if you have the nerve to stay tucked in tight and watch the speedo needle, I am going to admit, its not a comfortable feeling and nothing else will make your ass clinch up so tight to where ya couldnt hammer a needle up it!
Warning: At these speeds DONT sit up atleast until your back down to 120MPH

Best price so far is from..

.. BikeBandit! Even with the shipping ($7.95 UPS ground) and handling ($9.90) they're still only a total of $132.51 for both tires! (150/90 V15 & 110/90 V18)

Anyone got a better price?

Last edited:

.. BikeBandit! Even with the shipping ($7.95 UPS ground) and handling ($9.90) they're still only a total of $132.51 for both tires! (150/90 V15 & 110/90 V18)

Yeah ok I will also sell you some ocean front property in Arizona:rofl_200:

The last 2 I paid 74.00 a piece to the door but that was early in 2006
Check out this place.. They went up a little since than I see..

http://www.tiresunlimited.com/ALL TIRES/Shinko/shinko_misc.htm

$81.22

Ohhhh Damn they are pretty damn good prices for 2 tires!! My bad I am tired..
[FONT=Century Schoolbook, Times New Roman, Times]150/90V15[/FONT][FONT=Century Schoolbook, Times New Roman, Times]B/W[/FONT][FONT=Century Schoolbook, Times New Roman, Times]19[/FONT][FONT=Century Schoolbook, Times New Roman, Times]T874176[/FONT][FONT=Century Schoolbook, Times New Roman, Times]$76.51[/FONT]

You know you can run then 170-80-15 with no Mods and have a wider tire?

I'm looking at buying a set of Shinkos too. I think I'll go stock size on the rear - pretty good price here:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/395/6188/ITEM/Shinko-230-Tour-Master-Rear-Tire.aspx

For the front though, the 110 is apparently only available as 19". Should I go with 100/90 V18 or 120/90 V18?

Check this out - not a bad price for both considering it's also free shipping :)

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...87&DivisionGroup=1&Division=28&Department=395

I went with the 120 and have no complaints with it whatsoever.

Would there be any problem mixing the Shinko up front if I have the 880 in back?

Would there be any problem mixing the Shinko up front if I have the 880 in back?

It's not the best of ideas. Tire manufacturers engineer tread designs as well as rubber compounds to work together. I'm not suggesting it would be catastrophic, but doing so could put you in a bad situation.

Yes you can mix tire brands... DONT mix Bias ply tires with radials though.

No problem with the mix. I am currently running an ME880 on the front and Shinko on the rear.

I also just noticed the dumb ass dealer mounted my tire in a reverse rotation.:bang head: Look at your tires you will see an arrow for rotation.

You know you can run then 170-80-15 with no Mods and have a wider tire?

Yea I know but I don't believe a larger tire = better handling, just slower turning, and I'm already pissed there's no bloody turns here in FL :damn angry: but I'm determined to find some. Soon as my wobbles r fixed :bang head: I KNOW I will enjoy them :clapping:

Only thing is, I read somewhere that the 170 is actually slightly bigger than the 150 in diameter, lowering the revs slightly, and that may interest me since I'm already going with the Venture diff to try and get more mpg on my 90-miles each way commute..

Only thing is, I read somewhere that the 170 is actually slightly bigger than the 150 in diameter, lowering the revs slightly, and that may interest me since I'm already going with the Venture diff to try and get more mpg on my 90-miles each way commute..

Put a Shinko 170 80 15 on a few days ago and I didn't notice any difference in the revs, so it must be a very small difference in diameter from the stock Dunnies...
I like the slightly fatter look of it, too, but I've just barely worn off the mold release so I haven't really gotten on it yet to see how well it handles vs stock.

So the Shinko 230 tourmaster 170/80 - 15 and the 120/90 -18 will both fit the stock setup without any mods?

looks like i can get both shipped for probably around $140 - $150 from bikebandit....

So the Shinko 230 tourmaster 170/80 - 15 and the 120/90 -18 will both fit the stock setup without any mods?

looks like i can get both shipped for probably around $140 - $150 from bikebandit....

My '92 required absolutely NO modification; neither the front nor the rear.

and you're running the 170/80 in the rear?

Sorry, yep.... I'm running the 120 in the front and the 170 for the rear.

I totally love them too. I can't comment on Metzlers but I like the Shinkos over the Dunlops and Bridgstones.

beautiful.. thanks man... u didn't do the washer swap either right?

Just a +1 on 44's info. 170 fits the stock set up, no mods, swaps, changes OR SHRUBBERY's.
I had ME 880's before and they were fine tires but, all things considered (price, of course at the top) I think I'm liking the Chinko's better. Lot's of grip, a feel good tire. :biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back