shock question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedfreke

Reaction score
I took the max on about a 500 mile ride this weekend. I have to say it handles like shit, felt loose in turns and unplanted. It has motivated me to get a plan together to fix the handling issues. I see a lot of discussion in regards to progressive rate vs. straight rate springs. I am going to go with race tech springs with emulator, I will also lower the front end 2". I am planning on lowering the rear 1.5-2" also but what are the best rear shocks to run with the race tech front springs? Does race tech make rear shocks for the vmax and if so, is anyone running them and about how much are they cost wise. I will also probably do a solid motor mount swap in the future. the bike is a 2000 max

thanks

As far as I know Race-tech doesn't make shocks. The progressive
418's would be one way to go or for a few more bucks you could
go with some works performance shocks.
Chris

I have a set of forks all assembled and ready with racetech parts and emulators (they are black 97 models If I remember right but lots of rock chips in the paint). I think I lowered it internally 1" while I had them apart (and put new seals in).

Of course I sell progressive shocks and there are a few different levels to pick from.

Sean

I have Race Tech springs and emulators and Progressive 418's. Ride is not as "soft" as stock but handling is much better. I got the 1.0 springs and should have got the .95. The forks are a little stiff for my weight (about 175 lbs geared up).

If you are into handling /cornering, I would not lower the bike as it limits your lean angle. Also may have to watch your radiator / fender clearance, depending on how much you lower the front. I am very short legged and would love to lower the bike but I love corners better......

FWIW , when you see guys posting here about "progressive" springs, they are usually referring to the company name http://www.progressivesuspension.com/ , not the rate of the spring itself. I bought a used set of these springs on ebay & they made a HUGE difference in the handling of my bike. No more "pogo-sticking" through the corners. :biglaugh:

There is a scary feeling I get went hitting some curves too. Much more noticable while riding 2-up. I'm not sure what the cause is thought. It may be a combination of many factors. The feeling is kind of hard to explain. When I'm leaning over in the turn it feels like the bike will "bounce". The first time I felt it I thought my tires we low on air, but they weren't. The feeling was almost like the bike is flexing in the middle. Like it was sitting on the center stand and you could push on the swingarm bolt cover and make the whole bike flex left to right. That is the feeling, but it happens when leaning in a turn so the left to right is more like an up and down. Does that make sense to anyone? Well, I'm not sure if this is caused by improper adjusment of the swingarm bearings, swingarm flex, frame flex, fork springs, rear shocks, or a combo of all??? I'm not an extremely agressive corner carver, my pegs are not ground down from scraping.

I'm guessing a check of the swingarm bearings is due. Possibly buying a set of frame braces would help with this feeling? The bike definitely does NOT feel solid while diving into a turn.

Typical handling mods I hear are stiffer fork springs, progressive shocks, frame braces, braced swingarm. Which of these items do you think would be the MOST beneficial. Which the least. WHY?

I was hoping to do the shocks (have 12" 440's to put on), springs, and a set of frame braces someday. Just not sure if this will cure it or not.

Suspenders will help the max A LOT but some Holeshot or like frame braces REALLY help bring it all together.

I have mine dropped 2 in front and 1.5 in back. Remember when you drop it you'll have to cut and weld the side stand. I believe Sean (one2dmax) has these for sale as well.

If I did it again (and I may) I would go with 12 rear 440 or the new 430.

Chris

Attachments

• 100_2394.jpg
    100_2394.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 27
There is a scary feeling I get went hitting some curves too. Much more noticable while riding 2-up. I'm not sure what the cause is thought. It may be a combination of many factors. The feeling is kind of hard to explain. When I'm leaning over in the turn it feels like the bike will "bounce". The first time I felt it I thought my tires we low on air, but they weren't. The feeling was almost like the bike is flexing in the middle. Like it was sitting on the center stand and you could push on the swingarm bolt cover and make the whole bike flex left to right. That is the feeling, but it happens when leaning in a turn so the left to right is more like an up and down. Does that make sense to anyone? Well, I'm not sure if this is caused by improper adjusment of the swingarm bearings, swingarm flex, frame flex, fork springs, rear shocks, or a combo of all??? I'm not an extremely agressive corner carver, my pegs are not ground down from scraping.

I'm guessing a check of the swingarm bearings is due. Possibly buying a set of frame braces would help with this feeling? The bike definitely does NOT feel solid while diving into a turn.

Typical handling mods I hear are stiffer fork springs, progressive shocks, frame braces, braced swingarm. Which of these items do you think would be the MOST beneficial. Which the least. WHY?

I was hoping to do the shocks (have 12" 440's to put on), springs, and a set of frame braces someday. Just not sure if this will cure it or not.

i gotta say after installing my frame braces from excatrep (100% bolt on and removable) it feels a lot better. they're really not all that much ($300 ish with shipping) and i've liked the results.... my bearings were completely within spec.

Thanks guys, this was the first time I had a chance to get this bike out on the open road. I really learned a lot more about the bike on this trip as far as what I want to change. Swapping to radials is way out of my budget
(unless I sell a kid or something :rofl_200:), but I am going to start saving up to do the front springs and rear shocks along with frame braces and maybe engine mounts. I am not looking to race around corners but I just want it to feel more confident.

If I were to do, or suggest suspension upgrades I would shoot for the following:

• Fork springs for the weight
  • Compression valve emulators
  • Fully adjustable rear shocks (compression, rebound, proload and ride height)
  • Adjust oil thickness to tune rebound

The majority of feedback concerns and need of adjust takes place in the rebound. However, there is no means to adjust it short of oil viscosity. So I would find what is acceptable in the front, and work to match it in the rear for balance. More important than the individual components you install, is the fact that you should achieve balance.

In 1985 it was a little different and great strides forward have been made in chassis design and performance. Part of the nostalgia to Vmax ownership is we have a 1980s type suspension and must find ways to overcome.

Oh... as for lowering: if you corner evenly remotely aggressive, try not to lower much. Bogie and his wife, and myself and a friend rode my Vmax in and around Deals Gap last June and dragged hard parts all over the place. Pegs are one thing, but we were dragging headpipes, exhausts center stand etc. These parts can lever a wheel off the ground while cranked over, and that will likely end up badly.

Thanks guys, this was the first time I had a chance to get this bike out on the open road. I really learned a lot more about the bike on this trip as far as what I want to change. Swapping to radials is way out of my budget
(unless I sell a kid or something :rofl_200:), but I am going to start saving up to do the front springs and rear shocks along with frame braces and maybe engine mounts. I am not looking to race around corners but I just want it to feel more confident.
To me the stocker felt like it wasn't getting enough grip on front tire when going into the corner so I had to ride into the corner a little fast, use the front brakes to set the front tire then continue through the corner.
I did 3 things to my Vmax to improve the handling that eliminated the above process. First I lowered the front fork internally with progressive fork sping kit and changed to 15 wt silkolene oil. Second, I mounted drag bars to move my body positin a little forward. Third, I had Sean lower my seat a couple of inches(Sean's advice). The I also added EBC HH brake pads which didn't really help handling but made the brake work 100% better. When I rode it last summer it tracked better into the corners and I was able to make changes in the corner if needed. It gave me much more confidence cornering for sure. I know I need to do some more updates (solid motor mounts, frame braces, wheels/ radials, swingarm work, etc.) b/c now I'm getting frame "wobble" in most corners when I'm pushing it. I am kinda used to it by now and just will have to deal with it until I can do the upgrades.

Back