Sick Vmax - Blown engine?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, max's struggle with red lining, I was under the impression they were pretty bullet proof. Why do they not ut a limited on them then?

4th actual trap speed is around 120-122 mph. 5th is just over 150.

Sean

Make no mistake. They don't strugle to redline other then maybe 5th gear if it's not tuned right. There is also no rev limiter so it's easy to overrev if you aren't shifting. most of the time there won't be any damage for short term. The long term damage is worn small ends on the rods.

The engines will also spin bearings easily enough when beat on (which you did not do from the sound of it). If they need proof of a beating show them some of my youtube videos.

Sean

I got 34K on my 85 max and beat the piss outta it everytime I ride it. I also use the 40 shot of nitrous quite a bit. Hopefully she see's 40K! haha...

Good luck with the stealership....

Sean,

You need to open up your own yamaha dealership that way we can ALL have a place to bring our bikes when they take a crap.

Abe

accidently overreved mine to 11,500 rpm's one time in one of the lower gears. sounded like the motor was screaming for vengeance but no damage occured......

that was a couple thousand miles ago

yeh I did that a couple hundred miles ago.

What I meant before was I did not realize the max struggled when red lined not that it was hard to get there, mine seems to ask for it.

pulling engine today. Tech said looks like cam cracked and some valves not working. Man I never heard any noise that would indicate anything likke a snaped cam!

Recall- some engine vin numbers recalled because headbots not torqued. m mech said some were just over finger tight.

I had a broken cam once and other then the huge power loss there was no other indication.

Sean

so being i own an '07.... does anyone know the vin #s affected by this incorrect head bolt torque? thx...

peace,
evan...

I'd think Yamaha would want to make this right. Outboard division replaces engines all the time. And a rep usually will show his face while the work is being done.

Last edited:
That certainly looks like what BBB was talking about. Wonder if he opted for a buy back...if they offered such a thing. :confused2:

Latest posts

Back