So I'm new here...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis02max

Reaction score
Hello all, my name is Travis from St. Peters Missouri (20ish mins from St. Louis). Started riding about 2 years ago on my father's motorcycle (83' Vision) so I'm still a newbie compared to most. I bought a 02' Vmax earlier this spring and it's my first motorcycle to call my own. Already had the desire to mod it so this summer I bought a Kerker 4-2-1 for it and I'm now working on getting a Stage 7 kit, valve lash set and installing a new clutch. After all that it's going on the dyno to see how the motor is holding up with the higher mileage of 30,000. (Fingers crossed)

Hoping to meet a few guys in the area because my cruises with only Harley guys from my work can be boring at times.... Also I'll be digging around here for information, seems like every time I Google search something for my bike it ends up taking me here.

4CAD6F1E-BA8F-4359-862A-797DA9823922-1811-000003180D9413AF_zpsa93d74e9.jpg

Welcome aboard.....this is the holy grail of vmax information. If you haven't already browse the "sticky" topics at the top of the various forums here, all of which are worth reading.

You may want to consider Morley's jet kit rather than the stage 7. It costs less, has equally strong top end but better midrange.

For the clutch you'll want to upgrade....the stock clutch barely holds the stock HP and with the kerker/jet kit you'll easily be +10 rwhp. Check into the PCW kit, or you can do the "double d" mod (just use two stock springs).

Welcome Travis to the best Vmax forum. When you ride with Vmax guys you won't be bored or get good gas milage. Everything Vmax you need is here.
I remember when I first met ForestdaleDave,alias the yellow blur. I said to myseld, here's a guy up around my age or a little more. This should be a mellow ride.
rofl_200.gif
. Pedal to the metal just to keep him in sight. Then he went big bore.
You're going to have a blast Travis.
Steve-o

Welcome aboard Travis :)
+2 on Seans kit vs Stage 7. Both make great power(I've had both on my current Vmax), But Seans gives me a little more in the mids.
I actually prefer the Feel of the Barnett clutch pack and coil spring pressure plate set up myself.

You came to the right place for all things Vmax related:biglaugh:

Welcome Travis, looks like your max is missing part of its sissy bar ?

every time I Google search something for my bike it ends up taking me here.

Yup...this is a great place to be if you own a Max......welcome to the forum.....and let your learning commence......resources here are second to none.......very nice looking bike........

Thanks everyone. I'll have to look into the other jet kits now, sounds like there are better deals to be had. As for the sissy bar, I never have any passengers and was tossing around the idea of getting a grab handle instead of the backrest but never did. The full backrest is back on the bike now. For the clutch I'm kind of wondering about getting the coil spring plate. Heard the double d takes more to pull in which I don't mind but haven't heard anything on the coil setup either, which might be better if I'm planning to make more power down the road anyway. So much info I'm lacking, just need a day of research to catch up on what I should get. :ummm: This is the only reason I haven't order my parts yet because I want to make sure I get the right one for what I need...

Guess I could have expanded on why I like the Barnett Coil Spring pressure plate instead of simply saying I like the "feel" better. By "feel" I should say it feel's linear instead of sort of on/off. It holds the extra power that can be had with pipes/big air etc. You can also order stronger(heavy duty) springs for it and mix and match for Heavy/Med-heavy/Med holding power and lever pull. this makes it adjustable, and I like adjustability/versatility myself.

I had the DD previously, and it holds the power, But I found the lever pull to be a little much when caught up in heavy stop&go traffic. Also seemed to have the on/off effect much like the factory spring, simply stiffer.

Ive also heard good things about PCW's kit, but have no first hand experience and will leave it to others to review.

welcome to the brotherhood. nice looking ride. [ agree w/ the muscle kit over the S7. i installed the s7 and wished i had known about sean's kit. you'll only have fun w/ the s7 on the drag strip. wanting the around-town romps more, i modded my S7 setup with some velocity stacks to suck in air in a manner similar to the muscle'd air box. at any rate, you're gonna fun with you max. enjoy. if you haven't discovered already, this forum is wealth of information and friendliness.

Heard the double d takes more to pull in which I don't mind but haven't heard anything on the coil setup either
I have the Barnet Clucth kit also and I really like it.
The clucth is alot smoother now than when it was stock and it doesn't seem to transfer the stress to the Transmission or Shaft as bad as the DD Mod does.
It definitely has a harder lever pull than stock but nowhere near as hard as the DD Mod.

Last edited:
I ran the PCW clutch spring, which is OEM style, just made from a thicker gauge metal so it's a bit stiffer. It eliminated the slippage of the stock clutch. PCW claims, and I'd agree, it's about 50% stiffer than stock (where DD is 100% stiffer). For extended stop/go traffic it would start to get a bit tiring but for normal riding I got used to it almost immediately. Plus I only ever really used the clutch off stops and for hard 1-2 shifts otherwise I just rolled through the gears with the throttle.

With any conversion it's a good idea to chuck the "anti chatter" 1/2 disc at the bottom of the stack and just replace it with one more regular friction plate.

That said, the stock spring design is rather "on/off" in nature and it doesn't give a very good "feel". On mine all the clutch action was in the first maybe 10% of lever travel. I have never ridden a coil spring clutch vmax but the consensus is that they do give a more linear action to the clutch and make it easier to modulate power. On a lower powered bike this would be a lot more of a problem than it is on the vmax.

Welcome Travis.
Hate you guys, each time I read the forum the monkey pulls my remaining hairs and asks for more lol

That bike is the thing for unlimited mods lol It never ends haha

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Hello all, my name is Travis from St. Peters Missouri (20ish mins from St. Louis). Started riding about 2 years ago on my father's motorcycle (83' Vision) so I'm still a newbie compared to most. I bought a 02' Vmax earlier this spring and it's my first motorcycle to call my own. Already had the desire to mod it so this summer I bought a Kerker 4-2-1 for it and I'm now working on getting a Stage 7 kit, valve lash set and installing a new clutch. After all that it's going on the dyno to see how the motor is holding up with the higher mileage of 30,000. (Fingers crossed)

Hoping to meet a few guys in the area because my cruises with only Harley guys from my work can be boring at times.... Also I'll be digging around here for information, seems like every time I Google search something for my bike it ends up taking me here.

4CAD6F1E-BA8F-4359-862A-797DA9823922-1811-000003180D9413AF_zpsa93d74e9.jpg

simply amazing the google searches send you here.... I had a stock bike like you once, infact many of us did :rofl_200: You will get the bug and before you know it BAM! your poor. good thing my wife still loves me. :punk:

2011-10-26_17-14-44_866.jpg

Welcome to the Dark Side Travis. Very nice clean looking bike.
30,000 is nothing for these bikes.

I've done the double d and the PCW spring, which is what I have now. They're both good and DD never bothered me but the pull is quite heavy compared to the PCW or stocker.

No input on the Barnett from me.

There's a group of Vmax guys out of Houston that rides Eureka springs you might could get up with in the future, I have never made it myself. I think Sean Morley has been.

You found the right forum for all around helpfulness and attitude free environment. Enjoy.

PS,
These bikes can be the devil incarnate occasionally due to a few known carb and electrical issues, but all the answers are right here.

Latest posts

Back