So my clutch is taking a dump....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran the Barnett Clutch with the heavier springs and set it up like the DD clutch by taking out the spring clip and half disc and replaced with a full disc , anyone that knows me will tell you I hammered my bike with burnouts and racing it , also had 100 hp shot of Nitrous on it and it never slipped on me until after 4 yrs. of abuse so figure me at 350 lbs the bike and Nos with No problems for 4 yrs. but thats just my experience. Later Kurt

Had the DD set up myself for a few years. And it worked very well, other than a little "arm pump" in heavy slow and go traffic. However when I had the motor out the last time doing the undercut trans and other mods, I upgraded to Barnett Discs and coil spring pressure plate. It holds the power like the DD did, But the pull/engagement is much smoother and more linear now with and easier pull it seems also.

All I can say Todd is make sure you sit on a Vmax with a DD clutch and work the lever a few times. I personally think the pull is way to stiff for my liking and would kill my wrist and elbow. But everyone is different, that's just my take on it...

Since its not a big job, I ll try it. It can't be any worse then my CR500 heavy duty setup. 5 mins into a ride with slower areas and I almost couldn't pull the lever in anymore.

I ll see if Mike will let me try his out this weekend at the VMOA event.

Todd

Since its not a big job, I ll try it. It can't be any worse then my CR500 heavy duty setup. 5 mins into a ride with slower areas and I almost couldn't pull the lever in anymore.

Todd

Yeah, there should be a few there to try. See ya Saturday!

Todd

What kind of springs are you running in your CR5? I put in a set of heavy duty barnett springs years ago. Its been so long I think they are wearing out cause it feels like a stock clutch pull nowadays.

I don't ride it much but did for a bit this weekend. Something in the clutch needs replaced because it is not fully disengaging. Impossible to hit neutral with the bike running and it wants to stall out if stopped and in gear. Not sure if it is the clutch arm wearing out behind the stator cover, or the rod, or a combination of all. I need to look at that one of these days.

I run the DD clutch mod with a stock M/C which I really like. I don't have a issue with the lever feel/ pull, and the clutch grabs great. I have been running Rotella dino oil in 15w40 but I'm trying Yamalube 20w50 currently.

It sounds like your clutch is telling you something. I'd do it with all new fiber disk since you'll have it apart. The steels can usually be glass beaded or sanded. I love the DD. I used an extra spring from a bike with 22k, not a new one. I don't abuse my drivetrain often, but never have slippage when I nail it hard.
Steve

Looking at the DD mod and PCW's , Barnett etc..... I am just afraid since I am not easy on the bike, that I would lose a gear, blow a driveshaft etc. if I got with the DD setup.

I love the sound of second gear power wheelies etc..... I am all about the power, but I am also all about being able to ride with little down time when something goes wrong.

So those with stock bikes and did the DD mod.... how are they holding up and what is your riding style?

Those with built bikes and the DD mod, how is it holding up and have you broken anything or modified anything else to make use of the extra grip the clutch offers?

Right now I just noticed a few times in 5th gear, 55 mph with full wot, once Vboost area kicked in around 7000 rpm, it spun up a little and then caught. Did it a couple times so far. I tried to get it to do it and it doesn't happen. Just once in awhile so far out of the blue.

So I am thinking if I did the DD setup, did a full friction in back etc, that I might be ok with the stock clutches for the rest of the riding season here possibly.

I really need to buy a second Vmax.....:biglaugh:
Thanks
Todd

I ll do the steels in aluminum oxide so they are rough again. I'll take a look at the fibers and see what they show. If they need replacing I ll replace them, if they are questionable, I may put them in and see how the extra spring works. No sense in replacing them if I can get a few thousand miles out of them still.

The CR500 is long gone. I don't remember what springs they where, but they weren't for a 500 they were for something else and I a buddy that is a dirt guru told me to use them. They sure held the power, but sure played havoc on your arm. I was thinking I would have Popeye arm syndrome lol.

Todd

I got a complete basket , clutches , spring everything..... $60. Couldnt pass that deal up!

Installing hopefully before the weekend, if I finish my front end and a few other things.

Have to get the bike back together!

Todd

Back