Soaking clutch discs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traumahawk

Reaction score
Ive looked around and cant find anything definite. How long do you soak the fiber discs before installing. Ive heard anything from 30-45 mins, to overnight.

I put new friction discs in my 1260 a couple months ago and just rubbed each one down with oil as I was installing them....they work fine.

I put new friction discs in my 1260 a couple months ago and just rubbed each one down with oil as I was installing them....they work fine.

I did that on my last clutch change out 2 years ago. This time, while installing the clutch lever, I didnt get the little nipple on the clutch master cylinder fully seated in the handle....and smoked the clutch....so now its time to change out again.

LOL....as always....just wondering if there is a better way out there.

I try to soak them at length overnight but have done a quick dip as well (hour or so). I have a set in the oil bucket right now that have been there for weeks (maybe months) waiting for their next needed install.

Sean

Yeah, I think it's OK to get them wet and immediately install them. I'm not building any high-HP bikes, just servicing my collection. Maybe if you had a rip-snorting terror you would want to soak them overnight.

I soaked mine overnight as well just because I wasn't in a hurry and figured it couldn't hurt to let them soak.

I dipped them in engine oil them installed them in a few minutes. I think they impregnate
eventually regardless. One thing's for sure, no harm in doing it over night.

I dipped them in engine oil them installed them in a few minutes. I think they impregnate
eventually regardless. One thing's for sure, no harm in doing it over night.

And thats kinda the thought that Ive come to too.

Back