Step one Building my Muscle Bike

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vmax Marine

Reaction score
I just wanted to post that I am in the process of creating my idea of a VMax as a muscle bike, I am sure that many out there will state that it already is, and you are right I am just putting my refining touches on what is there.

For me a muscle bike needs to have: Power, Sound, and Looks. Two of which I think the Max has already (Power and Looks).

to address sound I have put on a UFO Dragstar Exhaust, K&N filter, and a basic stage 1 dynojet kit. I also had the Max dyno tuned.
with all this according to the print out of the before and after HP it was a gain of +8 rwhp from 110 rwhp to 118 rwhp. to include the loss in weight have made my Max a bit more happy.

it is running a little rich, according to the shop the Dragstar is not a good tuning exhaust, and that is really what I expected I am not a big HP chaser.

but I might get a bit crazy and do a Morleys Muscle kit, as I have heard nothing but good things from people within this forum.

0why the UFO Dragstar? 1. I wanted a "FU!!" loud bike. 2. I dont care about other peoples opinion about the exhaust being tooo loud. 3. I cant imagine my self having a "can" style exhaust on my "muscle" bike (IMOP) but I don't hate on others having one. 4. I want cars to know that I am around dirty looks are welcome!!

this exhaust is so nuts that some people don't know how a motorcycle can sound like this, and the Harley guys don't understand how a "jap bike" can be louder than their hog. the best description I have heard was "That sounds like a FKN Cammed out SMALL BLOCK!!!".

this week I am going to put on drag bars.

next upgrade the Front end (forks, brakes, ect...) if you all have any good models of sport bikes that would be the best fit let me know:bang head: I am not sure if a 600cc R6 or GSXR would work or would I need a 1000cc or better sport bike.

winter - possibly: radials, rear rim 17", rear shocks.

also I am going to make a before and after video of the bike exhaust look and sound, [Stock to UFO Dragstar]

thank you all for making me feel welcome to this community,

If there are any Vmax riders in VA let me know skyline drive is a great ride in the fall.:hippy biker:

All of the sport bike forks are too short so you will need to buy or make a drop down custom triple trees.

Rode the skyline many years ago with my wife on a Goldwing, was one of my favorite places on our trip, will get back there again someday..................Tom.

I have a buddy that has a set of GSXR - 1000 forks if you guys could point me towards where I can get the custom triple tree I need that would be great

Otec
coo
billet bike bits
Taylor made

There are some members here that may help too. Satariel666 or wild weasel come to mind
Sean Morley may have something.
search craigslist. You may find a deal

USD forks average 4" shorter than OEM Vmax forks. Plan on a dropped triple and/or extensions.

USD forks are sprung for bikes that weight a lot less than the Vmax. Plan on new springs at a minimum.

Need to figure a way to get the speedometer to work. Modify the new rim for your speed drive or buy a new one

Even going at it the cheapest way possible, its not cheap to do it right. Id say the money is better spent on bracing the swingarm, and radials. Keep oem forks and change the springs. They work pretty well with springs and emulators or intiminators.

Last edited:
I am working on using a set of Marauder inverted forks. They are only about 1/2" shorter then stock vmax!

Sean

Otec
coo
billet bike bits
Taylor made

There are some members here that may help too. Satariel666 or wild weasel come to mind
Sean Morley may have something.
search craigslist. You may find a deal

USD forks average 4" shorter than OEM Vmax forks. Plan on a dropped triple and/or extensions.

USD forks are sprung for bikes that weight a lot less than the Vmax. Plan on new springs at a minimum.

Need to figure a way to get the speedometer to work. Modify the new rim for your speed drive or buy a new one

Even going at it the cheapest way possible, its not cheap to do it right. Id say the money is better spent on bracing the swingarm, and radials. Keep oem forks and change the springs. They work pretty well with springs and emulators or intiminators.

Yeah, the USD forks look way-cool, but the same $$ can get you on radials & re-worked fork internals. I suggest some new rear shocks as-well. Coupled w/a brake upgrade, cost-effective & you can do them yourself.

I just wanted to post that I am in the process of creating my idea of a VMax as a muscle bike, I am sure that many out there will state that it already is, and you are right I am just putting my refining touches on what is there.

For me a muscle bike needs to have: Power, Sound, and Looks. Two of which I think the Max has already (Power and Looks).

to address sound I have put on a UFO Dragstar Exhaust, K&N filter, and a basic stage 1 dynojet kit. I also had the Max dyno tuned.
with all this according to the print out of the before and after HP it was a gain of +8 rwhp from 110 rwhp to 118 rwhp. to include the loss in weight have made my Max a bit more happy.

it is running a little rich, according to the shop the Dragstar is not a good tuning exhaust, and that is really what I expected I am not a big HP chaser.

but I might get a bit crazy and do a Morleys Muscle kit, as I have heard nothing but good things from people within this forum.

0why the UFO Dragstar? 1. I wanted a "FU!!" loud bike. 2. I dont care about other peoples opinion about the exhaust being tooo loud. 3. I cant imagine my self having a "can" style exhaust on my "muscle" bike (IMOP) but I don't hate on others having one. 4. I want cars to know that I am around dirty looks are welcome!!

this exhaust is so nuts that some people don't know how a motorcycle can sound like this, and the Harley guys don't understand how a "jap bike" can be louder than their hog. the best description I have heard was "That sounds like a FKN Cammed out SMALL BLOCK!!!".

this week I am going to put on drag bars.

next upgrade the Front end (forks, brakes, ect...) if you all have any good models of sport bikes that would be the best fit let me know:bang head: I am not sure if a 600cc R6 or GSXR would work or would I need a 1000cc or better sport bike.

winter - possibly: radials, rear rim 17", rear shocks.

also I am going to make a before and after video of the bike exhaust look and sound, [Stock to UFO Dragstar]

thank you all for making me feel welcome to this community,

If there are any Vmax riders in VA let me know skyline drive is a great ride in the fall.:hippy biker:
Any chance of posting that Dyno report? I'd be very interested in what rpm range your running rich. I'm running similar carb set up,and I like the results. But,I went back to the stock needles(shimmed .032) after much experimentation with the stage 1 needles. (I know you guys warned me)
Steve

Any chance of posting that Dyno report? I'd be very interested in what rpm range your running rich. I'm running similar carb set up,and I like the results. But,I went back to the stock needles(shimmed .032) after much experimentation with the stage 1 needles. (I know you guys warned me)
Steve

I will get that dyno sheet transferred to my computer tonight and post the actual dyno results

Latest posts

Back