Stock Headlight Rattle

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caleb_M

Reaction score
Not a real bad rattle, and only when I hit speed bumps or any good jolt to the suspension. I tried some foam on top of the headlight and that seemed to soften it a little, but it's still really obnoxious.

Any ideas?

Not a real bad rattle, and only when I hit speed bumps or any good jolt to the suspension. I tried some foam on top of the headlight and that seemed to soften it a little, but it's still really obnoxious.

Any ideas?

Are you sure it's the headlight?

I have a real annoying 'buzz' when the rpm's are just right, ran it down to the fan motor...I have no idea what to do about it either...it's right inside the motor itself. :confused2:

I'm pretty sure it's the light, there is only a small amount of space (about 2 mm)between the top of the headlight and that aluminum piece under the speedo. Everywhere else has plenty of space around it. I've tightened it pretty good, but there is still a little side to side play.

I would take off the bucket and check the condition of the grommet in the mounting hole.

I have a problem with the fan rattling on my 06 - drove me crazy as I couldn't figure where the noise was coming from - I than read this thread on the VMOA a checked mine and voila, found my rattle - haven't taken the fan off to fix yet, but will do it over the winter,

http://www.vmoa.net/xoops/modules/n...hread&topic_id=1562&forum=2&post_id=9768#9768

Mike

That's it Mike...exact same issue! It's on my '06 also BTW, wonder if there is a slight change in the fan motor design? :confused2:

I had it narrowed down to the backward/forward movement of the fan, the VMOA thread sounds like the fix, but I'm a little reluctant to do it. It would be very easy to add too much resistance and stress the motor....gotta think on that one. :hmmm:

An additional thought: Any small electric motor repair shop would have access to these 'buffers' (for lack of a better term) I would think.

Thanx for the info
danny

i think my headlight creaks too. all the wiring rattling around in it. its so hard to troubleshoot shit u can't duplicate while not moving!

i think my headlight creaks too. all the wiring rattling around in it. its so hard to troubleshoot shit u can't duplicate while not moving!

Try hitting a corner of the radiator with the heel of your hand....I did that and there was that same annoying rattle!!

Then it's just a matter of banging on the radiator and touching different areas until the noise stops and...that's where it's coming from!

nah mine is more of a creak. i tried that as well. i just need to ride with earplugs.

lets see bang until it rattles....
touch areas to find where its coming from:hmmm:

:rofl_200::rofl_200:sorry my head is in a different frame of mind this morning or just in the gutter lol.

My headlight has a loud, consistent, annoying buzz. I can reach around and put my finger on the headlight ring and it will stop buzzing. Just not sure why it's loose and haven't had time to work on it. Annoying as anything, though....

lets see bang until it rattles....
touch areas to find where its coming from:hmmm:

:rofl_200::rofl_200:sorry my head is in a different frame of mind this morning or just in the gutter lol.

No, you got it right Tugla!!! :punk:

Then when you're done all that banging and touching....go out and work on your max!!!:rofl_200:

If you ride hard and fast the wind noise and exhaust should alleviate the problem. :D

I too have an annoying rattle or 'sound' coming from the front of the bike.

I have a noise that I thought was pre-detonation(spark knock)..........

Then my knee touched the faux tank and it stopped.....:ummm:

3500 RPMs.....rattle.....rattle.....above or below that......no problems......:confused2:

oh yea, the 3500 rpm faux tank rattle. one round of eletrical tape along the rubber boots near the instrument panel stopped that.

oh yea, the 3500 rpm faux tank rattle. one round of eletrical tape along the rubber boots near the instrument panel stopped that.
+1 maybe some extra padding or something to take up the gap will help. never looked if you can adjust the latch to hold the tank down tighter :ummm:

i woulda put some foam over the airbox, but knew i'd be going to a morley kit eventually.

Back