Strange noise at specific RPM

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longburn

Reaction score
I have a noise I believe is coming from the carb/air filter area but only at around 1500 rpm. For lack of a better way to describe it, it sounds like a large solenoid clacking away. I know there is a servo for the VBoost and mine seems to cycle fine on start up but is there a solenoid or something similar that may be causing this. It doesn't seem to cause a problem when riding but I don't want a large problem down the road "LITERALLY"

Any Ideas Or any good V Max mechanics in south western Ontario.

Thanks

+1, open up filter box and makes sure no loose pieces. Can you recreate it with bike in neutral or is it only on the road? Make sure electrics are tight on the board on the left side under the scoop. Do the same on right with the coolant manifold.

Can recreate to the letter just slow rev to 1500 and boom. Not a loose article it does affect the engine slightly if slow rev to 1500 in neutral. Just don't notice it when riding "So Far".

Maybe it's the front mounts for the faux tank lid, when you hear the noise next time push down on the lid. I used some self amalgamating tape (sticks to itself) to tighten up/ cushion the lid mounts.

This may sound stupid, but do you have extra keys or keychain on your key? You get a pretty loud rattle against the scoop from that. Scared me when I first drove my vmax until I found out what caused it haha.

Guess I'll pull the air box and take a better look and listen. If I don't find anything obvious anyone know a dealership or mechanic with good rep for Vmax work. In southern Ontario.

Anyone heard of a grounding problem, from what I gather so far that's what it seems to be. Watched the slides and butterflies and saw an arc, it is non carb specific 1 2 3 4 does not seem to matter. When riding I do not even know it's happening. ??????

If the charging voltage is TOO LOW, and you are beginning to develop the low voltage miss, the CDI box could misbehave and cause erradic arcing all over the place. That was happening on my 85 when I first found this forum.

But, mine only missed at rpms less than 2500, that I could tell, and I could never hear the arcing while riding - not that noisy. I could at idle. But when mine arced under 2500 rpms, the bike would definitely skip a beat or two. In fact, if it arced on two cylinders simultaneously while at idle, my bike would die. For my problem, I upgraded the reg/recitifier to the newer style, and modded the battery box to fit a larger, higher CCA battery type, and to my knowledge, it's never arced again. I wrote it off as just my CDI box getting old & cranky, fixing the voltage to buy time before needing a new CDI box....and good voltage is never a bad thing either, of course.

ps.. my coils look old and cracked, but never, ever arced from there. I think their ceramic coating(?) is just prone to weather cracking, and IMO, most cases it's just cosmetic, and nothing to cause actual problems. But again, that's just my opinion.

+1 to what Brian said. Are you hearing the fuel pump cycle? Search some of the pump diaphram post. Sometimes the pumps will keep cycling.

Last edited:
Well here's a twist the dealer I bought it from last fall. With only 500 km later is going to take a look and feels he can get it fixed for nada. I love a good dealer.
Thanks for all.
I DO KNOW HOW THINGS CAN GO REAL WRONG QUICK!!! But I'm hoping for the best.

Thanks again.

Back