Stupid Mistake / Stupid Question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JrBiem

Reaction score
Ok, so I put new ISO grips on my max. I followed the directions, except the only difference is I didn't like the gap on the throttle side so I used the stock spacers to make it look the same on both sides. Everything seemed to work fine right after I put them in place, but now that the glue has set the throttle doesn't return when I release my hand (it's like built in cruise control, which I'm sure could be a very bad thing) So my question is, how can I fix this problem without ruining the grips?

-JB

is the spacer pinching the cables?

It doesn't appear to be. I just removed the top half of the switch cover so I could see better, and even with it off the throttle still sticks open. I see no glue seeping out anywhere either.

It could be that you just pushed the grip in too far, and it's catching the end of the handle bar.

Loosen the whole right switch assembly, and move it 2-3mm to the right. Does this help?

It could be that you just pushed the grip in too far, and it's catching the end of the handle bar.

Loosen the whole right switch assembly, and move it 2-3mm to the right. Does this help?

It slides easily along the bar, I moved it over to the right and tightened it back up. The throttle seems to open more smoothly but still wont snap shut, well actually it doesn't even roll slowly shut just stays wherever I leave it. I also removed the end cap so I could see inside. The end of the grip is not touching the bar and there is no glue between the throttle tube and the bar either.

Had the same problem when I installed my iso's. I sprayed WD-40 in the slots at the end of the grip and would twist the throttle to get the WD-40 worked in there. It helped a little because the throttle would slowly twist back to orginal position but would stick every once and awhile. Never got it to snap back like when the orignal grips were on.

Had the same problem when I installed my iso's. I sprayed WD-40 in the slots at the end of the grip and would twist the throttle to get the WD-40 worked in there. It helped a little because the throttle would slowly twist back to orginal position but would stick every once and awhile. Never got it to snap back like when the orignal grips were on.

Hmmm, that would really suck if the grips cause the problem since I cut my stock ones off and cant reuse them. :bang head:

I cut my stock ones off and cant reuse them. :bang head:

i cut my throttle one off as well. i just put my ISO's on a few weeks ago and had to tap the throttle side on with a rubber mallet and mine dont stick at all. i didnt add any glue to mine since it was all dried up in the tube that came with the grips. i dont see them falling off though so i'm not worried. i have no clue what to tell you as far as a way to fix your problem but, good luck with it man. you could probably get some spray adhesive remover and try to spray it up in there and maybe break up the glue a little bit.

With a little not-so-gentle persuasion I was able to get the throttle side grip off (undamged) :clapping: - however, with no grip installed (just the throttle tube over the bar) the problem is still there. I wonder then, would this be a cable issue perhaps? :confused2:

With a little not-so-gentle persuasion I was able to get the throttle side grip off (undamged) :clapping: - however, with no grip installed (just the throttle tube over the bar) the problem is still there. I wonder then, would this be a cable issue perhaps? :confused2:
Are you positive there is no glue in between the bar & throttle sleeve. I would bet there is some your not seeing.

Are you positive there is no glue in between the bar & throttle sleeve. I would bet there is some your not seeing.

Thanks for the winning answer Kyle!! Your thoughts caused me to completely remove the throttle tube from the bar and sure 'nuff there was a decent amount of dried glue at the end of the bar, I filed it off and put everything back together and now it works like butter! :eusa_dance:

-JB

also check the L bracket where the cables goes into the carbs right under the left side scoop. those are very often not perfectly 90 which causes the cable to bind.

I just posted how we did it on facebook. Check the link in my signature.

Sean

I just posted how we did it on facebook. Check the link in my signature.

Sean

I'll post some pics to this thread when I get home from work in a few hours. I did it the same way Sean shows on facebook.

Also I put the stock levers back on today too, because for whatever reason grabbing the brake with the exactrep lever just feels like a handful of mush and doesn't return properly when let go.

Glue , never used it. i use mx style grips. and put them on the old school way.
spray paint inside the grip. let the extra paint run out of the grip. push them on.
then after they dry.(overnight) I put saftey wire on. just like i've done on all my mx bikes ,3 wheelers and quads. never had a grip come loose or stick. lubeing the cables helps keep things nice and crisp.

Back