The Max is here! Let the modding Begin!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may have similar headlights available though you'll need to make your own brackets (which you probably have to do with the other sites lights too).

Sean

Glad to see the old frame flexin' wobbler again!! Not sure what Lankee did to the tach to get it to work right with the Vmax, but he helped me fix up my Procycle tach, had to clip a wire (brown one in this case) to change the ignition input (single pulse vs double or something to that effect) so that it actually read out at the right value. Before it was 50% of actual rpm.

Oh yeah, and I am glad to see you have embraced the Mod Monkey!!! He needs tons of "Monkey Love" to keep him satisfied though.

Hey thank you guys for all the info!!! I appreciate it greatly!!!

As it happens i will be away for another week or so doing some super secret squirrel shit with my unit. I will definatley check and see if those headlights are still there when i get back to my base though. Sounds like a gret deal for sure!

Just thought i would let everyone know that i wouldn't be around for a little though. I will be asleep pretty much any chance i get. Thanks for all the info and the posts though! Extremely excited about all of this!

Well pending payment, looks like we agreed on a price for less than he had listed so i can't complain. You can buy brackets for those for like $45 a piece so the headlight set with new brackets is still under 200. Not bad at all.

Ok this is going to everyone out there i need your help. I NEED WHEEL HELP!!!

My friend is going to notch and brace my swing arm for me. I have done a search and there are about a million and half threads on wheels and what not and i'm driving myself crazy looking through each one.

I want to get about a 210 rear tire on the max but would go as low as a 190.

- What wheels work good for this? (I really like 3 and 5 spoke look)
- What all modifications have to be made to bike and wheels besides notch and brace?
- What has to be done in order to get wheels to line up straight with bike (not offset at all)

I'm just looking for a simplified answer to all my questions about mounting a bigger wheel in a notched and braced swingarm. Without having to send my set up off to someone. My friend is capable of doing pretty much anything as far as machining and anything else. But i'm looking for the SIMPLIST way possible.

Thanks guys, this is driving me nuts!!!

Hey everyone... got parts listed for sale in the for sale section. Plus i will have more to come. If anyone needs more info/pictures just let me know and i'll see what i can do. Thanks!

Ok this is going to everyone out there i need your help. I NEED WHEEL HELP!!!

My friend is going to notch and brace my swing arm for me. I have done a search and there are about a million and half threads on wheels and what not and i'm driving myself crazy looking through each one.

I want to get about a 210 rear tire on the max but would go as low as a 190.

- What wheels work good for this? (I really like 3 and 5 spoke look)
- What all modifications have to be made to bike and wheels besides notch and brace?
- What has to be done in order to get wheels to line up straight with bike (not offset at all)

I'm just looking for a simplified answer to all my questions about mounting a bigger wheel in a notched and braced swingarm. Without having to send my set up off to someone. My friend is capable of doing pretty much anything as far as machining and anything else. But i'm looking for the SIMPLIST way possible.

Thanks guys, this is driving me nuts!!!

easy answer:

wheels: kosman (weld up), przemek does some conversions with kawi and suzuki rims, ufo sells some, could maybe find some used ones. cazz still makes a sick from rim.

you will need a notched arm to run anything bigger than a 180.

to get rid of offset you could in theory get two adjustable bolts instead of just the one (with the nut and bolt) for the swingarm and have someone like gmd computrack do it for you. i'm thinking of having them do it myself down the road.

bracing is not required for the bigger wheel. but would recommend it.

i have a notched arm and a 190 was about the biggest without doing a washer swap. i'd look in the 190-200 range as once you go 210 you have to start moving it to the right even more.

Thanks for the info man... Maybe i will try and stick with more of the 190-200 range. If i go overly large it won't look right on my build anyways.

Without modding the swingarm more than notch and brace i say 190 is the widest you can go without rubbing on the SA and no offset. Offset is lame work... Better not to do it than offsetting the wheel. That will change all the balance of the bike. Better to cut and weld the SA to make it wider for shaft not to rub the SA... Everything depends on hoe deep you want to go. I made a SA from scratch to fit a 11" rim with a 300 tire. I thought if i have to change it a bit for wider lets do it big time. The only thing is that if you go to 240 or bigger you have not only to change the swingarm for shaft not rubbing but you also have limitations on the U-joints so you have to brake the shaft in 2... The wheel mod is no more than copying the vmax wheel correcting for the offset required to center the wheel on the swingarm. Just get a log of alloy on the lathe and copy the vmax rear wheel hub where the 6 pin contraption that connects to the diff gets fixed and weld it corrected for the offset i talked about. You can do another minor thin that is push the rim to the right on the swing for tire clearance and then push the swing to the left on the frame, the tire will be centered but bare in mind that the shaft will be closer to the inside wall of the SA (the notch). An extended SA will also help because the shaft will be straighter and the wheel will be further aft, in that case an extended shaft will be required. Many options to meet your wishes...

Without modding the swingarm more than notch and brace i say 190 is the widest you can go without rubbing on the SA and no offset. Offset is lame work... Better not to do it than offsetting the wheel. That will change all the balance of the bike. Better to cut and weld the SA to make it wider for shaft not to rub the SA... Everything depends on hoe deep you want to go. I made a SA from scratch to fit a 11" rim with a 300 tire. I thought if i have to change it a bit for wider lets do it big time. The only thing is that if you go to 240 or bigger you have not only to change the swingarm for shaft not rubbing but you also have limitations on the U-joints so you have to brake the shaft in 2... The wheel mod is no more than copying the vmax wheel correcting for the offset required to center the wheel on the swingarm. Just get a log of alloy on the lathe and copy the vmax rear wheel hub where the 6 pin contraption that connects to the diff gets fixed and weld it corrected for the offset i talked about. You can do another minor thin that is push the rim to the right on the swing for tire clearance and then push the swing to the left on the frame, the tire will be centered but bare in mind that the shaft will be closer to the inside wall of the SA (the notch). An extended SA will also help because the shaft will be straighter and the wheel will be further aft, in that case an extended shaft will be required. Many options to meet your wishes...

Lol way over my head. I'm sure my friend could handle it. But i think my build will look better with around a 190-200 anyways so that simplify's things quite a bit for me.

Looks like i'm getting R1 forks on the max :punk: ... Buddy is machining some triple tree's for them!!! Gonna be badass! :worthy:

Also looks like i may be putting some 2004 GSXR wheels on there as well. :eusa_dance:

Believe me i will get up pics as soon as things start getting finished.

If you have any problems with everything fitting together let me know that i can give you a hand... I know what your buddy will be going through to get the puzzle together... What will be your option to keep the bike leveled with the lower R1 forks?

If you have any problems with everything fitting together let me know that i can give you a hand... I know what your buddy will be going through to get the puzzle together... What will be your option to keep the bike leveled with the lower R1 forks?

Well he is going to machine triple tree's that extend downwards like the ones from COO http://www.cycleoneoff.com/Photo_Album.html . He can just do it for a lot less that $700 lol. Is that what you were referring to as keeping it level? :confused2:

I want the front end to be lower than stock, i like a little bit more aggressive riding style and i am going for somewhat of a street fighter look. I know many will flame me for this but i could really care less, cause it's what i like. :punk:

And thanks for the help... I will be sure to let him know that if he gets stuck there is someone he can ask about it. You guys rock!!! :punk:

Latest posts

Back