ticking sound on right side help!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could be water pump impellar problem...or the oil pump drive gear.

sounds like a valve from right side, goes away when idle is increaded, sounds like a valve, but when I put a scope on it sounds lower in the V on right side of motor..

Last edited:
Well its hard to tell for sure. Those are preatyy noisy engines.
Mine does a lower sound when clutch is pulled in.
Chcek the sound by scope with clutch pulled in.

I use to have similar ticking but that was loosed heat shield from the rear exhaust pipes.

i hope this helps... Even with the clutch pulled in it ticks. It does go away when at higher rpm's its the right rear cylinder like a valve put a scope to the side right cylinder and its ticking under the valve cover. on the water jacket its ticks then in front of it and behind it!!!

Re: valve knock or something on right side of motor!!! help..

If it is a knocking sound, then it is probably to do with the clutch. I think it is the clutch basket that makes that noise.

If it is a knocking sound, then it is probably to do with the clutch. I think it is the clutch basket that makes that noise.

+1, I noticed a similar noise on mine. it turned out to be the clutch basket. Some maxes are a little quieter than others. but I have to agree. this is one of the more noisiest engines I've ever thrown a leg over.

Until I heard a Ducati at the car show last year. it was runing a dry clutch. talk about noisey!

Attachments

• SDC10408.jpg
    SDC10408.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 11
  • SDC10409.jpg
    SDC10409.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 17

Mine clutch is noisy like hell. I would normally agree but Sunshine PM'd me and said that theres no change beteween on and off the clutch. Also no change beteween hot and cold engine.

I think it could be hard to tell for sure without looking into the engine.
He can always take off the clutch and see what happen.

+1 KJ.
Mine friend has a Ducati Monster.
Man, his clutch is even louder then exhaust LOL

Had clutch cover offI will try and het a picture!!! and everything was nice and tight!!! should I remove the disc's,ect... I just dont know if you put the scope on the water jacked on the side of the cylinder you will hear it ticking ...

Had clutch cover off I will try and get a picture!!! and everything was nice and tight!!! should I remove the disc's,ect... I just dont know if you put the scope on the water jacked on the side of the cylinder you will hear it ticking ...

You can always rotate the plates, some guys claims that could help.
Personaly I dunno.

Do not run the engine without the clutch basket. Oil pump is driven by clutch basket.
You may try to run the engine with clutch basket only but without pressure and friction plates.

How do I add pictures help!!!
Upload them at external images server like imageshack and paste the direct link from the pic by clicking INSERT IMAGE icon or write

Back