To Hot To Ride?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can really hear the harley engines knocking in that hot weather:rofl_200: they really rattle in the heat:biglaugh:

They run like total shit also. It was like 95 a couple years ago at americade when I demo'd a XR1200....after about 2 minutes in traffic the idle was terrible, it was bucking and heaving around, as if a HD idle wasn't bad enough normally. When I rolled on the gas to go, it just died and took a good 10 seconds of cranking and fiddling with the gas to restart.

It rarely tops 100 around here, I've never considered it "too hot" to go for a ride.

Guys I ride with think I'm nuts for wearing a jacket (mesh) and full face helmet when it's upper 80's or 90's. I think the jacket helps...it keeps the sun off you, but it doesn't trap heat and breeze goes right through it. The helmet can get a little warm, though really only on extended sits in traffic, which I go out of my way to avoid, especially when it's that hot.
Sometimes I'll skip the long pants and just run shorts with my leg armor, for that gladiator sort of look.

One of the best riding days here is Boxing day. Everybody tends to stay at home in their air conditioning, after running around in their tin cans on Xmas day.
You can usually find nice clear roads in the city. The down side is that occasionally it will be pushing 110 in the shade, in which case even the bikers will be drinking beer in the pool. Still, a few might get out there, but probably realise that it's a bad idea....

If it's 95, the roads will have happy riders everywhere. At 100, not so many.

May - September around here are reliable months to ride, with our record high being 98* it is never too hot to ride. Lake Superior does a nice job of keeping temps regulated in both summer and winter.
Traffic, what is that? My nearest traffic light is 20 miles to the east! None to the North (lake Superior), and to the south it would take a hour to find a traffic signal. If I were to head west I could ride over 2 hours to hit the first light and that if I was trying to get to a traffic light! I could easily ride 3+ hours (going only west, generally) before I had to hit a light!!! It is just starting the sweet part of the riding season; last week of July to the end of September = less bugs, and not as many crazy driving vacationers.

Could ye bottle some of that heat and post it to me?
It's 60 here and constantly wet (almost 3 times more rain than normal this summer) the hottest day so far was in May and it only reached 75 !!!

141612804_yzY6yFwg.jpg

Man I hope the heat breaks a little before this weekend. Going to Atlanta to pick up my new bike and riding it back to San Diego. Weather here along the coast has been 75-80 and my cuz in Dallas said it was 106 yesterday.:surprise:Big change for me. Going to be starting out early in the morning and be in a room by 1:00 pm to avoid some of the heat but I know it's still going to be hot.
Mike

Man I hope the heat breaks a little before this weekend. Going to Atlanta to pick up my new bike and riding it back to San Diego. Weather here along the coast has been 75-80 and my cuz in Dallas said it was 106 yesterday.:surprise:Big change for me. Going to be starting out early in the morning and be in a room by 1:00 pm to avoid some of the heat but I know it's still going to be hot.
Mike

yull be fine.....the heat round here isnt bad till after noon ish. be carefull....if you travel on I-20....lotta crazy drivers....

enjoy the trip:punk:

Never thought I would be such a baby. Am I being a baby or are there others out there feeling the same way?

Yes :whistlin:

Just kidding. But I ride no matter the heat. We had 103 here a couple weeks ago, it sucked, but I still rode. Couple of my neighbors though I was nuts. But I love to ride.

With my bike down right now, I am bummed. We have too short of a riding season here. So every day counts for me.

Todd

Could ye bottle some of that heat and post it to me?
It's 60 here and constantly wet (almost 3 times more rain than normal this summer) the hottest day so far was in May and it only reached 75 !!!

View attachment 30719

Sounds like Seattle Washington. I worked out there for 3 months all it did was rain. Fall is best riding here. It's been in the 90s allot this summer but never to hot to ride shorts n a T-shirt and some fresh air.

Mike

Look into a hydrator of some sort for your neck & back. It may not be hot before noon , but it will probably be humid. A modulated type helmet also helps especially at stop lights.

Look into a hydrator of some sort for your neck & back. It may not be hot before noon , but it will probably be humid. A modulated type helmet also helps especially at stop lights.

I am thinking you are referring to an opening chinbar helmet, a modular helmet? I have used BMW, Shoei, and Shark helmets of this type and recommend the use for hot days, or any days.

Polypropylene underwear can help cool you, the kind that wicks moisture away from your skin. Also, a Camelback type drinking bladder makes it easy to sip underway.

Red Bone, in 05 I rode all around Brimley and the UP, (before I was banned from playing Black Jack all over the area),:damn angry:, and it truly is outstanding riding:clapping: Loved parking beside Superior and taking a swim whenever the urge hit me.

I live in the country so no city driving, so my Max never, or rarely, gets the fan going, even though it has been 100 or near very often so far this summer.

O

My MI college buddy who lives by Lake Orion MI just bought-out some family members for a cabin on Lake Superior in the U-P. He has a Honda CBR600 F-2 which he rides back & forth to Warren MI to the GM Tech Ctr. where he is a stylist. I would like to go riding in the U-P sometime, I haven't been in the U-P since I hitchhiked to NMU w/three women when I was in college in MI, that was a long time ago! I bet most of the U-P is still the same, just bigger trees. Being used to warmer water (and coral reefs!), I think the Lake Superior temps for swimming would be 'bracing.' My pool in Miami was 93+ F this weekend.

Why were you banned, for card-counting?

Here's some interesting info on wood which is old-growth timber which comes from a most-unusual source. The Great Lakes is one of them.
http://timelesstimber.com/#/home/

Red Bone, in 05 I rode all around Brimley and the UP, (before I was banned from playing Black Jack all over the area),:damn angry:, and it truly is outstanding riding:clapping: Loved parking beside Superior and taking a swim whenever the urge hit me.

I live in the country so no city driving, so my Max never, or rarely, gets the fan going, even though it has been 100 or near very often so far this summer.

O

My loving and thoughtful wife went to Cycle Gear today and got me a few things to keep me a little cooler on my trip. A Bilt cooling vest,a set of Heat Out under layer top and bottoms and a neck cooler that you soak in cold water . Also picked up a new mesh summer riding two piece suit about a week ago. Went out for a little test ride with all the gear on this afternoon and it was down right chilly.:rofl_200: I only got up to about 50 mph and it's only about 80 here so the big test will be coming back cross country in 100+ temp. I can tell already that it's going to be a lot better than nothing.The air flow through the mesh jacket with the cooling vest felt great and the Heat Out under layers really seem to work well.
Mike

Those "soak in water" cooling things work great, though their effectiveness diminishes as the humidity rises.

mesh gear is all i ride in. i just layer in the mornings and go. Highly reccomended.

peace,
evan....

Back