To Hot To Ride?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thundermax

Reaction score
How hot is it in your area? In Oklahoma today is was 106! It was like an oven outside and it really sucks! After 11:00 am it is too hot to ride. My helmet is really hot inside, the motor heat is really hot on my legs, the wind is hot, the sun is burning. At 8:00pm after the sun goes down is the best time.

Never thought I would be such a baby. Am I being a baby or are there others out there feeling the same way?

I used to live in NC and it would get up to 95-105 on a regular basis and I still rode.
But I did add a manual Fan Switch to kep the Bike a bit cooler.

Rode to Stoker's Vintage Bike Show in Dallas Sunday. Was 105-106 also. Getting too old for that. Full coverage helmet is a bitch.... Dallas always gets over 100 in the late spring thru early fall. Have to ride early or late but sometimes still 100 after 9 pm. No direct sun though so feels better.. :confused2:

We get a fair bit of that in Oz. :biglaugh:

When I was a young bloke I could play outside in 115' no problem. Now I don't enjoy riding much above 100. Traffic is the worst, when you don't get any wind blowing through your helmet. 105' on the open road is not too bad, but I'd still rather not.

here, Rimouski, near by St.-Laurence river
we never get much more then 86*F
In Montreal, well, 95*F
And these are the highest on non-regular bassis:damn angry:

:biglaugh:The fan-switch is for tire burn out:rofl_200:

One thing about full face helmets is that the sun is not directly pounding on you're head. When cruising along, I usually crack the face shield open a little for some draft. A little sun block on the back of the neck and arms helps too. Better that burning. The worst is if you're doing a lot of stop and go when its hot.

It was too hot to ride yesterday 102 here in La so I thought I would go flying, NO GO there also. By the time I got the plane untied and did a preflight I was soaked with sweat. Looked at the winds aloft and it was 86 deg. @ 3K feet so its hard to cool off with 86 degree air vents blowing on you so I retied the plane and I am going to fly my plane this morning while the temp is down to 70 and gonna ride the Vmax to get there.

Last edited:
Sticking out into the ocean, the Cape is cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. We do get some high wind action though, and our share of rain.The best riding is in late fall, when the tourist are gone and the weather stays in the 50's.
Steve-o

I gotta admit that as I'm getting older (I just turned 49) I have less tolerance for the heat. I will ride if it's below 90 but when I stop I'm always looking for a shady spot. I live in Long Island, NY and I prefer to ride in the spring and fall. I do enjoy summer rides but if it's too hot during the day I will go for a night ride when things cool down. I will ride in the winter too as long as I'm properly geared up. I can ride comfortably in 30-40 degree weather as long as I have layers on. I do not own any heated gear.

I am glad I am not the only one that has a hard time enjoying riding in the 100+ heat.

I think it is an age thing. When a teenager and in my 20s never considered the heat.

We get a fair bit of that in Oz. :biglaugh:

When I was a young bloke I could play outside in 115' no problem. Now I don't enjoy riding much above 100. Traffic is the worst, when you don't get any wind blowing through your helmet. 105' on the open road is not too bad, but I'd still rather not.

Holy crap, I thought Rockatansky and I were pretty hard core riders. 115 is freakin nutz! Its supposed to be 102 here tomorrow so if I ride it will be early of late.

I rode through Nevada/ Arizona a few years ago on my 86 max. I bet the temps were 115+ in the middle of the desert. I wore full leathers and helmet.. just stopped every once on a while and dumped water in my helmet and all over my shirt. It dried up quick but sure did help with cooling. Luckily here in northern Utah it rarely gets much past 100.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

106 today in Dallas too, way too friggin' hot to ride in the afternoon, early morning or after the sun goes down, only time to do it. Riding gear? Forget it, jeans and T-shirt and that's it!

you can really hear the harley engines knocking in that hot weather:rofl_200: they really rattle in the heat:biglaugh:

you can really hear the harley engines knocking in that hot weather:rofl_200: they really rattle in the heat:biglaugh:
LOL today it has been a lot less of the riders on the road. 90's here today and heat index of much more. Tomorrow even higher, so in the worst part of the day you will not see many on their bikes around here.

Also besides the heat is the terrible humidity which here in Norman, OK, it is unbelievably high and makes it feel much worst.

Being in S. Arizona its hard to feel sorry for ya. But I do.

+1 on that, live in San Tan Valley and work in Tempe, its HOT EVERYDAY! not a heatwave, just hateful hotness all the time. I believe a couple days ago, my fiance said the thermometer in the truck said it was 112 F

Latest posts

Back