Top mods for bone stock 01?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am surprised that no one has mentioned this mod:

Stainless steel brake and clutch lines!!! You will get rid of a lot of the spongy brake feel with a good set of SS lines. The stockers are junk and go bad after a few years and start to flex. OOOOOPS Chris said brake lines, just not SS ones.

First thing you need to ask yourself, as Maxcruiser stated so eloquently, is what you want to do with your Max. Then go from there.

IMO clutch is not needed but nice.

Chris

Ya I must say, kinda assumed that if you're gonna do a brakes upgrade such as new calipers and/or larger rotor on earlier bikes you would automatically upgrade the lines to S/S ones..

And indeed it's nice to do the clutch line at the same time, if only for cosmetic purposes, but it does add to a nicer clutch lever feel as well as the clutch lever bearing mod.

Morley battery box mod w/oversized battery is a great mod - we ALL have to replace the battery sooner or later...

i'm a car guy and was wondering how does solid motor mounts help handling? Does it add too much vibration through the frame?

is it hard to change the springs and do i only have to change the fronts?

Then you may want to think of it like polyurethane bushings (PST Performance). Does the very same thing. Increase chassis rigidity for better handling and "feel". And, just like them they do increase vibrations but usually the offset is well worth the effort.

You can start anywhere and springs only are simple to change. Fronts can be done first then rear shocks changed later.

Sean

Morley battery box mod w/oversized battery is a great mod - we ALL have to replace the battery sooner or later...

That's another thing I did right around 50 miles on the odo, but I used the Panasonic AGM that slips right in.

Chris

put a bushing in the lever and drill out the m/c so the slop (up and down) is taken out.

Actually it's a bearing...

Mine has no slop. I grease it regularly and will replace it when it gets sloppy.

Chris

right right, i meant bearing.

mine was sloppy from the beginning. saw an '07 new on the floor of a dealership in '08 and felt it, it was sloppy too. i guess u were lucky chris.

right right, i meant bearing.

mine was sloppy from the beginning. saw an '07 new on the floor of a dealership in '08 and felt it, it was sloppy too. i guess u were lucky chris.

Oh ya mines not super tight but I've seen some wobble an inch at the end of the lever.

Hubeerjw walked around one time wiggling everyones levers. (must say it felt good) lol :biglaugh:

Mine's tighter than a nun's butt. Thanks to Gary's handywork of course. Really helps as I've also got double D clutch, I love it.

Hello all,

Ive been poking around this site off and on for a bit now. This thread is right what i was looking for. I have a stock

'05 that i drained my savings on in college, good news was it was in 2006, a bank repo that was only $7500 AND with

less than 1200 miles. Stored it mostly through college, with weekend runs to get use to the bike. After graduation i

laid down some miles with a road trip from WA to FL to visit family. Since then mostly little rides with buddies on

their crotch rockets (mostly cbr 600s).

SO im now in a spot where i have some extra cash to start improving the bike. (even tho i love it as is!) A few bikers

that swapped bikes with me for a few miles on the big trip said i had a lot of hair to be riding something that swirly in the turns...

might be the fact that im 5' 8" and 125 lbs on a good day. :)

Basically i ride with C-rockets, they pull ahead in the pockets and i pass them in the straights. i will be doing longer rides now-a-days as well, more than 200+ miles a day current trips.

Anyways for me with what ive read in this forum:

1) SEAT my rear has had enough.
2) fan switch (noticed this a lot in the south and city traffic)
3) Crimp Fix ( i dunno on the COP i haven't noticed an issue on OEM)
4) Shocks Front and rear (progressive 440 is what im leaning towards)
5) SMM (that twisting thrill is a bad addiction)
6) throttle lock ( dunno which yet)

After this i dunno if its in the budget.. :(

7) Wheels (tires too... i should get off stock style... ill research that tomorrow.)
8) Front brakes (R1 is easier to find, but since these have saved me from some crazy people im aiming for busa.)
9) Exhaust ( i wana make them sound like they should!)
10) Saddlebags ( this might happen early due to needing to actually bring stuff now)

I would love some feedback on the list. If i should change the order or anything allowing me to spend effectively as i can.

Thanks for all the info on this forum, its been a great help to me.

OH and sorry if this is considered a hijack.

Tom

Contact Sean at Morley Muscle, the banner up top. He will set you up with a real nice seat. He is a great guy to deal with.

Hi and welcome. Yes, Sean's your man for the seat. Second-to-none in quality and the best guy to deal with. Crimp and fan switch you can easily do on your own. Sean can hook you up with the SMM and shocks/springs as well.

Hello all,

Ive been poking around this site off and on for a bit now. This thread is right what i was looking for. I have a stock

'05 that i drained my savings on in college, good news was it was in 2006, a bank repo that was only $7500 AND with

less than 1200 miles. Stored it mostly through college, with weekend runs to get use to the bike. After graduation i

laid down some miles with a road trip from WA to FL to visit family. Since then mostly little rides with buddies on

their crotch rockets (mostly cbr 600s).

SO im now in a spot where i have some extra cash to start improving the bike. (even tho i love it as is!) A few bikers

that swapped bikes with me for a few miles on the big trip said i had a lot of hair to be riding something that swirly in the turns...

might be the fact that im 5' 8" and 125 lbs on a good day. :)

Basically i ride with C-rockets, they pull ahead in the pockets and i pass them in the straights. i will be doing longer rides now-a-days as well, more than 200+ miles a day current trips.

Anyways for me with what ive read in this forum:

2) fan switch (noticed this a lot in the south and city traffic)
4) Shocks Front and rear (progressive 440 is what im leaning towards)
5) SMM (that twisting thrill is a bad addiction)
6) throttle lock ( dunno which yet)

7) Wheels (tires too... i should get off stock style... ill research that tomorrow.)
8) Front brakes (R1 is easier to find, but since these have saved me from some crazy people im aiming for busa.)
9) Exhaust ( i wana make them sound like they should!)
10) Saddlebags ( this might happen early due to needing to actually bring stuff now)

I would love some feedback on the list. If i should change the order or anything allowing me to spend effectively as i can.

Thanks for all the info on this forum, its been a great help to me.

OH and sorry if this is considered a hijack.

Tom

Hey Tom, Some great ideas there... Honestly on the brakes you really only need to look at some EBC HH pads or the like. The stock calipers are MILES better than people make them out to be and MORE than up to the task of stopping this bike. Most people with the original 2 pot calipers from pre-'93 replace them with R1 or Busa. Get some pads and some stainless lines from Morley and some good syn. DOT 4 fluid and you'll be happy.

Replace the front springs with Race-Tech straight rate springs and get some 10wt (for your light ass) oil and some Intiminators from Ricor for the front end. You'll be amazed! :eusa_dance:

Seat from Morley is HIGHLY recommended.

Out back some 440's will help a ton but the 430's are supposed to be pretty good as well and cost less. I have the 440s and like them.

Throttle lock... I have a throttlemeister throttle lock that just looks like a bar end. Works great, looks good and is heavy to reduce vibes.

Wheels and radial tires are HUGE expense but WELL worth it IMO.

Frame braces... Help hold the frame together. I have Dale Walkers (Holeshot) braces and they're great.

A lot of people do solid motor mounts as well but that takes a lot of work to get them installed. I found the braces did an amazing job holding it all together.

Also check your head bearings. They're probably loose. In the VMF links page (see upper tool bar) you'll find the how to.

Exhaust? Well slip-ons will get you sound and some weight reduction while a full system will get you sound, weight reduction, and more power. A great sounding slip-on would be Super-Trapp. Otherwise Hindle, Kerker, Holeshot, and Marks are great full systems. One warning... Stay away from UFO... He sells vmax stuff... Many people including me (for 600 bucks) have been screwed by him.

Good luck and welcome! Watch out for the mod monkey... He's vicious!

Chris

sounds like you got it covered man. i like the vista cruise, and have really been enjoying it lately for the 2 second break on my right hand. esp with 200+ miles on the superslab.

OK so brakes are good right now then. I had the brakes replaced on the trip and all they had were the EBC HH pads.

Race-tech straight rate springs and Intiminators? Big difference from the progressive set? I don't recall reading about those.

It would be more beneficial to get the braces and SMM? or more cost/time effective for me to just get the braces for now and move to the SMM at a later date (like winter)?

Damn i was just poking around in the wheels/tires area seeing if there was a straight swap from another bike. Seems like its made to order, correct?

Is there a lot i should worry about with Bags? i was just going to buy some horse saddlebags from one of the craft fairs here. old school (western) style with thick leather and pretty plain.

Definitely will hit up Sean. Everyone here suggests him so im not questioning it. I want to get my list as setup as possible so i don't waste his time... Plus gives me time to make sure I wont be cutting my savings throat.

Thanks for taking the time to read and feedback.

2) fan switch (noticed this alot in the south and city traffic)
4) Shocks Front and rear (progressive 440 or 430 budget decides)
5) Frame Brace ( postpone SMM till winter)
6) throttle lock ( throttlemeister LOOK AWESOME *prays* ebay used lol)
7) Handle Bar ( forgot this but i feel kinda stretched out)

8) Wheels (Expensive and need to read more)
9) SMM (that twisting thrill is a bad addiction/Winter upgrade)
10) Exhaust Non slip-ons(i wana make them sound like they should!)
11) Saddlebags ( this might happen early due to needing to actually bring stuff now)

tom

Latest posts

Back