Trouble with Neutral...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BGPKR

Reaction score
I've only had my Vmax out a handful of times since picking it up a few months ago. I really only have one issue with the bike. It's damn near impossible to get into neutral. Has anyone experienced the same problem and how to fix it?
Thanks

Oil type can affect it. Not sure what's best for this issue.

Its not an uncommon issue.

Some will say its easier to find from 2nd gear.
Go to 2nd, and then head for Neutral while very slightly blipping the throttle.

This method seems to work for me....its still touchy tho and a matter of finesse.

I'm using Rotella and from what i've read on here it tends to smooth out the tranny. From 2nd is the way I usually am able to find it, but still very difficult. From 1st is damn near impossible.

I'm using Rotella and from what i've read on here it tends to smooth out the tranny. From 2nd is the way I usually am able to find it, but still very difficult. From 1st is damn near impossible.

tugla reported the same thing and he replaced his clutch master and it fixed it. a rebuild did not work for him.

I attached a copy of some dealer literature I have for the Ventures.

This is applicable to the VMax also. This was for a 1300 Venture, so 86-93.

Gary

Attachments

• Difficult to find neutral.pdf
    297.2 KB · Views: 86

Gary

Now that is some very interesting info!! I just wish I ran into it a week ago when my cover was off.....DOH!! :bang head:

tugla reported the same thing and he replaced his clutch master and it fixed it. a rebuild did not work for him.

That's right,did slave rebuild helped but not enough,clutch master rebuilt......better but once and while issues and creep forward when selecting 1st.....then chg to new master factory Yamaha and issue 99.5 percent gone.....I did segment fix upgrade and also was the issue but your being newer won't be that as the pre 99 bikes.....

Also shifter adj is major change,I ind little off factory setting and causes weird things,check that incase it's off....

That's right,did slave rebuild helped but not enough,clutch master rebuilt......better but once and while issues and creep forward when selecting 1st.....then chg to new master factory Yamaha and issue 99.5 percent gone.....I did segment fix upgrade and also was the issue but your being newer won't be that as the pre 99 bikes.....

Also shifter adj is major change,I ind little off factory setting and causes weird things,check that incase it's off....

I'm not sure if i'm following you here (bold). But other than that replace the clutch MC with an OEM replacement is the solution?

Gary

no shit? too bad its such a chore to get to it!

I'm not sure if i'm following you here (bold). But other than that replace the clutch MC with an OEM replacement is the solution?

The foot shifter......make sure it's set to factory specs or close....can make big diff in the hitting of the bike

Do you have the manual....if not I'm sure you can get here or online......

I used Oem master for the clutch...worth the cash and works great....not worth cash or time to rebuild if well worn jut get a new one....my 2 cents

Last edited:
The foot shifter......make sure it's set to factory specs or close....can make big diff in the hitting of the bike

Do you have the manual....if not I'm sure you can get here or online......

Well that make a lot of sense, it did seem like there was a little play in the shifter. No I don't have one but i'll search around for one.

I used Orem master for the lurch...worth the cash and works great....not worth cash or time to rebuild if well worn jut get a new one....my 2 cents

Thanks for the info.

Sry stupid auto fill on my iPad chg the words on me, I'm not that bad t spelling lol.

With that adj and clutch fluid chg and bleed, new rotella ,it should help lots

Once again, here is THE way of getting into neutral easily on Vmax:

- engine running, stopped in 1st gear
- let the clutch out just enough for the bike to start creeping
- at the same time push up the shift lever up lightly with your foot
- pops into neutral

works EVERY time, on every Vmax I've ever ridden!

Back