Undesirable braking noise.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanneal

Reaction score
When I hammer on rear brake hard, I will occasionally get a deep, loud, muted-horn like noise. Kinda like a tugboat in the fog... I have to let off, then renegade to get the noise to go away.

Pads fine
Rotors fine
Per dealer

It isn't a high pitched squeak, rather the deep muted horn tone I described.

Somewhat embarrassing when you pull to a stop on such a cool bike.

Any ideas?

Thx

When I hammer on rear brake hard....
Pads fine
Rotors fine

First point (and this isn't intended to be sarcastic) why are you 'hammering' on the rear brake?
The fronts are (or should be!) far more effective at stopping you.

The easy answer would be to use the fronts more and rear less.

However, a few things to consider:
i) Are both caliper pistons moving freely and without a build up of crud and/ or corrosion?
ii) Have you de-glazed the disks and are they free of any rippling?
iii) Have you chamfered the edges of the pads?
iv) If you have tried all of the above then try a different pad.

I use HH pads on the rear without any issues from noise/ dust/ overly sensitive using a 298mm wavy rotor so it might be a pad you want to try if you cannot get your current pad to comply.

I always use brake quiet or silicone on my pads . Have you checked to see if you have a cracked or loose rotor?

curious, what rotors are you running and what material are your pads made of--metallic, semi-metallic, kevlar? if you hammer, then release, and the noise quiets down; then i wonder, if the pads are not dissipating the heat effectively and overheating and need a moment to cool off....just thinking outloud

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

Just for the hell of it, try a little 'Squeal Heal'....it may not do anything but it's easy and cheap to try. :confused2:

If you don't have any 'squeal heal' around, you can use most any silicone you have lying around to quiet a pesky pad. I'd just remove whichever set is noisy, apply a very light coat of silicone (easily removed and cleaned off parts when next changing pads.) to the backs of the pads, in particular, the areas that come in contact with the brake pistons. Re-install the pads. Pump up the brakes and go. After that silicone cures, it will quiet most odd pad noises. I've done that to my truck in the past too.

If your disc assemblies still have the OEM spring loaded parts on the tops where the pad retainer bars go across, you can slightly bend the arms on those spring parts so that when re-installed, they apply a bit more downward tension to the pads. That could help also.

Thx guys.
In response. I admit I over use the rear brake. Phobia about locking a front tire I guess. I will stop being a puss, and work the fronts more. Good riding advice, thx!!

I am also not adept at brake related crap. Never swapped pads myself, etc. So, I will try the squeal heal first. Thx a ton guys!!

Using the front brake effectively will be a skill you want to become highly efficient at. I learned my first lessons on dirt so washing out the front end wasn't as big deal. Have you taken a rider safety course where an instructor can help you with tips and you can use their bike to practice on?
Their bike will normally be a smaller cc one that will be easier to handle if the front end washes out. All the skills you learn there are transferable to riding a Vmax, you just have to scale up to fit the Vmax size and weight. All of us could benefit for these courses to keep our skills sharp. As the old saying goes, practice makes perfect!

+1. The mandatory safety course, that Floridian candidates seeking endorsement take, lectures its students to use both front and rear brakes. Admittedly, I only use the fronts 95% of the time and when I do remember to use the rear, I feather it compared to strength I employ engaging the fronts. It's funny, Ryanneal, that you fear locking up the front because I have the same fear of the rear brake. I locked up the front once because a school bus stopped at a railroad crossing, but handling the bike in the situation was far more manageable and far less frightening than the three heart-wrenching moments I locked up the rear. One time I found myself sliding up to a red light because I second-guessed my ability to make the yellow light. A second time caused me to hydroplane through a red light. And the last time, kicked the rear out, which thankfully straightened after drifting pass three or four rain-soaked cages idling in the adjacent lane.

Funny as hell!!!! I too have skidded thru an intersection with a locked rear..... I just believed a locked ront might instantly drop the bike...

I will start working fronts. Haaaaaa

Its gonna take you some effort to lock the front tires on tarmac unless its pouring, icy, or the tarmac is polished and dusty...

Here is a instructional video that talks about braking and how braking connected with cornering. It mostly deals with track riding but you can take away some knowledge that you can practice on your own, at your own speed, to help you understand what your bike is doing with your inputs and the timing of your inputs. The important point he makes is never just grab a handful of brakes, start at 10% (front brake first to transfer weight onto the front wheel) then add in 5% increments until you get to desired braking point and then s l o w l y release the brakes while applying your throttle. When stopping you apply the front brake first to transfer weight onto the front wheel , again with the 10%/ 5% increments, then add in rear brake to aid the braking. Riding on rain soaked roads has it's own set of skills to learn but I'll let those that ride on wet roads more often give their tips on that subject.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEhvLELEvRI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAar19KQK18
I like to practice early in riding season some basic riding skills such as braking, cornering and of course some accelerations tests. (Watch out early in the spring for sand and salt covered roads, they are very SLIPPERY!!)

Follow this link to the Motorcycle Safety Foundation website to find a class near you: http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx

Awesome videos.
Learned a ton just watching. Anxious to practice.

Especially the braking while cornering. Wow, I didn't know.

Thx much!M

Awesome videos.
Learned a ton just watching. Anxious to practice.

Especially the braking while cornering. Wow, I didn't know.

Thx much!M

If its a brake noise issue I got some graphite stuff from sean you put on the pads themselves.

A pretty clever rider trainer said this to me. It makes sense.

If you are stopping as fast as you possibly can, the bikes weight is transferred to the front wheel. The back wheel is either coming off the ground, or at least very light. So, if you are stopping as fast as you possibly can, you don't need rear brakes at all.

Thanks kindly guys.
I've made a conscious effort to grab the front brake more, and without a doubt am a better/safer rider for it.
:clapping:
Ditto for watching and practicing the riding videos.

Didn't expect this added benefit from the forum... but a very VERY big deal. THANKS for the input guys !!!!!!!

:worthy:

R

Latest posts

Back